Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2020, 10:44 PM   #21
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
TST hands down if you're traveling a lot.

A set of 4/6V batteries

A watering system for said batteries.
Disc brakes if you don't already have them..

Detroit Oregon? If so if you need any help let me know. I'm in Stayton.

Old 10-29-2020, 05:33 AM   #22
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Congrats on the new rig and welcome to the forum.
I know you mentioned watchin you tube videos to prepare and learn about your rig. One couple I've found very helpful is "Changing Lanes". They have a website and you tube channel. Chad is very meticulous about repairs and maintenance, checklists, etc. They have numerous videos on caring for your rig as well as some pretty good reviews of campgrounds too. And his wife Tara is very easy on the eyes. Check them out if you get the chance.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:55 PM   #23
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
NEVER, NEVER let yourself get distracted during setting up camp and breaking camp and hooking up. That is when BAD things happen.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:32 PM   #24
Bro. Paul
Established Member

M.O.C. #24531
Welcome to the rv family. The biggest mistake we made was to get too far away from the dealer who sold us the unit before we had it on the road for a while. As things went wrong or broke, and they will if you tow it much , we were too far away to take it back to them for repair. Other Montana dealers just will not do warranty repairs if they didn't sell it. It was nothing really major but it added it
Bro. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:45 AM   #25
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Congrats on the new rig and TV. So sorry to hear of your home loss. Your family has been thrown a real nasty curve ball here but it seems you're handling it well.
You've received very good advice here and that will continue as you learn the ropes. Don't hesitate to return with questions along the way. You have a great pool of expertise to draw from here.
Just remember one thing, those five people and the pup you have along with you are the only thing in this world that really matter. But I have a feeling you already knew that.
Good luck.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:07 AM   #26
Detroit Don
Established Member

M.O.C. #27312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard R. View Post
Sounds like you did things right! I researched for years until I bought my 2020 3120 RL in July.
From one newbie to another, I bought quite a few of the "must have items", like an EMS, Honda generator, water pressure regulator, 3000 W inverter, etc., etc.
The one thing I did not buy until later was a Fusion Back-up camera. TRUST ME, do this asap! Having the better half giving me directions is ok, but a back up camera is a real nice addition. Nuf said. Enjoy; we are absolutely loving the RV life! Just hope the border opens so that we can travel from our frozen Canada to the Southern U.S.
Stay safe.
Thanks for the tip. I’m researching cameras now. Seems Fusion makes the most preferred cameras. Is it worth it to get the four camera kit?
Detroit Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:08 AM   #27
Detroit Don
Established Member

M.O.C. #27312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
Congrats on the new rig and TV. So sorry to hear of your home loss. Your family has been thrown a real nasty curve ball here but it seems you're handling it well.
You've received very good advice here and that will continue as you learn the ropes. Don't hesitate to return with questions along the way. You have a great pool of expertise to draw from here.
Just remember one thing, those five people and the pup you have along with you are the only thing in this world that really matter. But I have a feeling you already knew that.
Good luck.
Thank you, extremely thoughtful and kind of you.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:13 AM   #28
Detroit Don
Established Member

M.O.C. #27312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the forums!

My advise is, Expect the unexpected. When the unexpected happens, don't fall apart and panic. Take a deep breath, relax, step away in your mind form the situation, regroup your thoughts, and think your way through. A year from now, you'll be laughing at yourself and the situation. Or, like so many others on these forums, posting comments to help someone else out of their exact same predicament.

Keeping a sense of humor, an open mind, and being extremely flexible will help overcome any difficult situation. And you WILL have them. Always expect the unexpected. (and keep a good credit card with a good balance remaining on it handy!)
Thank you. The unexpected happened pretty quickly lol. Also the not so flexible campsite marker paid the ultimate price . Forty feet of trailer takes some real estate to maneuver. Neighbors were impressed but they apparently didn’t hear the crack of plastic as I rolled over the marker.😂
Old 10-30-2020, 06:14 AM   #29
Detroit Don
Established Member

M.O.C. #27312
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
NEVER, NEVER let yourself get distracted during setting up camp and breaking camp and hooking up. That is when BAD things happen.
Thank you. Great advice!
Old 10-30-2020, 08:51 AM   #30
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Sorry for the loss of your home, but congratulations on the new set-up. These fires along the west coast are insane. As for the one piece of advice I can think of, is just take it slow and double check everything before towing. Let us know how it goes on the maiden voyage.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:31 PM   #31
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Don View Post
Thank you. The unexpected happened pretty quickly lol. Also the not so flexible campsite marker paid the ultimate price . Forty feet of trailer takes some real estate to maneuver. Neighbors were impressed but they apparently didn’t hear the crack of plastic as I rolled over the marker.😂

Don as you get used to that trailer keep one thing in mind....it's big. It takes time and care to maneuver. If you've watched semis trying to park, maneuver etc. you see them moving slowly and deliberately, many times slowing or blocking traffic for a moment. It took me YEARS to get it thru my head to do the same thing vs trying to hurry - that's not a good thing and gets worse the bigger the trailer gets. Take your time, focus on what YOU need to do and use a spotter. Hope all went well on the maiden voyage (other than the marker ).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 06:49 AM   #32
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Don View Post
Your fortunate that it was JUST one of those plastic ones. Our state campgrounds here have 4x4 wooden posts, and while the may snap off, they can do a lot of damage BEFORE they break.

My advice to you on backing would be to let your wife do all of the hard work, ie: telling you where to go (well, not literally), and what to avoid. Backing a trailer with your wife can be like a husband and wife wallpapering, but it's imperative that you guys as a couple get good at it. We never back in anywhere without the wife doing the guiding, and she's excellent at checking, and maneuvering around to figure out what the next spot is to be concerned about. Yes, we've had our arguments about backing, and what she should be looking for, but it really comes down to you telling her what it is that you need to be successful in backing, and teach her how to give you that information.

Labor Day weekend, at our local state park, we rolled up onto a sight that is maybe only 25' wide (yes they are very small), and we had 5er's on both sides. To boot, it was a 90degree back in from the road, not angled. We pulled up, wife got out, and we stabbed it in there on the first try. Our neighbor with the biggest 5er came out to watch, and he told me later that he didn't even think we would get in there, let alone on the first try!
Old 11-01-2020, 10:03 AM   #33
jeririgged223
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26548
On my maiden voyage I went to a campground close to the RV dealer so I could return if need be. (I lived over 5 hours from the dealer). During the walk thru I took copious notes and then I spent the next 3 days at the campground familiarizing myself with the trailer and reading / watching every instruction manual / video cover to cover. I also created a file box with folders labeled for every booklet for quick retrieval of the info. Now I have those "I remembering reading something about that" moments and I go right to the manual for info and solutions. So far, so good, it's served me well.
jeririgged223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:57 PM   #34
xr7gt
Established Member

M.O.C. #27339
Subscribing to this thread. I hope you can post your experiences! Our trailer should be delivered in January so our maiden voyage will be from North West Indiana to Central Florida.
xr7gt is offline   Reply With Quote