Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2020, 09:45 AM   #41
Mr. C
Established Member

M.O.C. #21177
I had Goodyear Endurance on my 3582RL a couple years ago. A lot heavier Montana than yours. They were only 4 years old with good thread. I was going to replace them after my short camping trip in October. Only 300 miles and I through they were ok. Wrong.

Had a flat on the way to the camp site. Caught it as it went out and pulled over. Changed it and went on to the camp site, no big problem.

On the way home in 5 days was not as lucky. Left rear side blew out and took out the fender skirt. $600 repair bill and I did the work. Found the other tire had a cut in it also when I got home, just lucky it made the last 60 miles.

Goodyear would not stand buy they're tire. I bought Sailuns from Simple Tire. They were a far superior tire.

Mr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:10 AM   #42
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
If you put ANY ST tire on your unit (besides the Sailun) you WILL be sorry you did not listen to those of us that know from experience. I have tried to educate several friends about the dangers of ST tires blowing and destroying there rigs. None took my advice and all of them had multiple blowouts causing lots of damage to their rigs.

My opinion for you would be to put 245/75/16 Firestone TransForce HT tires on it. They are the cheapest quality LT tires you could put on IMHO
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:21 AM   #43
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
For the responders who have sounded the alarm on LT tires on our fivers ... all I offer is run what you feel comfortable with, but don't call out a blanket statement that it can't be successfully done. If your fiver is light enough as my 3150RL was ... they work fine as I ran Michelin LT MX2's for several years. (and still do) Oddly in the 2005 time frame many Montanas came straight from the factory with LT tires on them. My 2005 2980RL sat brand new on the lot with LT's. At the time, several other units of different flavors of new fivers during our search for a new one sported LT's. Currently with the mega mansion fivers people seem to want ... LT's run out of load capacity.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:48 AM   #44
ssetw03
Established Member

M.O.C. #26669
ST vs LT tires

Hi again everyone,
Well I hopefully with all your help have done my research & made my decision.
Called TREDIT Tire again and spoke to same girl there - Ashley And told her what everyone was saying including Keystone. Ordering Goodyear Endurance size ST 235/80 R16 mounted on new rims and total delivery charge from Pa to NJ for $95. The tires/rims are $140 a piece and balanced at shop & shipped. When I shopped around just the tires alone were going for anywhere from $165 to $185 a piece...what a great price from them. I have attached their quote here so all can see.
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR ALL OF YOUR INPUT !!!!!
Eddie
ssetw03@yahoo
Happy Trails to all - As Roy Rodgers used to say....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tredit Goodyear Tire Quote.7.24.20.pdf (670.9 KB, 40 views)
ssetw03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 04:41 PM   #45
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
I had Goodyear Endurance on my 3582RL a couple years ago. A lot heavier Montana than yours. They were only 4 years old with good thread. I was going to replace them after my short camping trip in October. Only 300 miles and I through they were ok. Wrong.

Had a flat on the way to the camp site. Caught it as it went out and pulled over. Changed it and went on to the camp site, no big problem.

On the way home in 5 days was not as lucky. Left rear side blew out and took out the fender skirt. $600 repair bill and I did the work. Found the other tire had a cut in it also when I got home, just lucky it made the last 60 miles.

Goodyear would not stand buy they're tire. I bought Sailuns from Simple Tire. They were a far superior tire.
Are you sure they were the Goodyear Endurance , I was under the impression they have been on the market just over3 years . Sounds like a Goodyear G614, they have quite the history for blowouts.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:26 PM   #46
Taylortravelor

M.O.C. #26558
Try calling Simple Tire. They can answer all your questions and even have some of the best online prices. And will usually sipe to your door in 3 days. Just today replaced my trailer kings with Sailun brand.
Taylortravelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:36 AM   #47
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
FWIW, I run Goodrich Commercial T/A‘s on my 2006 2955RL, and do very well with them. Only caveat I can offer is stay away from Chinese tires. Good luck!
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:47 AM   #48
Anatnom
Established Member

M.O.C. #23514
The Sailund brand appears to be made in China. My first Goodyear tires made in China were terrible,so my next set of tires were Goodyear. Endurance and are made in the USA and appear to be holding up very well.
Anatnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:00 AM   #49
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Let’s not brand all Chinese tires together. The Marathon and like tires were horrible the Sailums are great tires.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:07 AM   #50
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anatnom View Post
The Sailund brand appears to be made in China. My first Goodyear tires made in China were terrible,so my next set of tires were Goodyear. Endurance and are made in the USA and appear to be holding up very well.
Endurance not a great choice for the heavier Montana fifth wheels . most go with the Sailun ,a proven tire .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:30 AM   #51
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
If one was to choose the Goodyear endurance over the Sailun s637 you have not done your homework.

Simply put there has not been one documented blowout Of a Sailun s 637 that I am aware of.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:12 PM   #52
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
If one was to choose the Goodyear endurance over the Sailun s637 you have not done your homework.

Simply put there has not been one documented blowout Of a Sailun s 637 that I am aware of.
Members of Heartland and RV Net forums have blowout failures reported.

Just put "Sailun trailer tire blowout" or "Sailun trailer tire failures" in your computers search engine.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:26 PM   #53
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
FWIW, I run Goodrich Commercial T/A‘s on my 2006 2955RL, and do very well with them. Only caveat I can offer is stay away from Chinese tires. Good luck!
Didn't your trailer come equipped with LT235/85R16E tires? Just about all 2006 Keystone fivers did, depending on GAWR loads.
Old 08-31-2020, 02:05 PM   #54
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
Members of Heartland and RV Net forums have blowout failures reported.

Just put "Sailun trailer tire blowout" or "Sailun trailer tire failures" in your computers search engine.
I'll look into that. But I bet somebody hit a curb or some other debris in the road. No tires going to withstand that
Old 08-31-2020, 03:19 PM   #55
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
Didn't your trailer come equipped with LT235/85R16E tires? Just about all 2006 Keystone fivers did, depending on GAWR loads.

No, as I recall they were Chinese trailer rated tires. I remember because the dealer and I had a little discussion about it.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:11 PM   #56
Jetson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #180
I originally had the LT 235/85R16 Continentals which blew a tire and tore up the fender when it was 3 years old. I always run 80 psi. Continental paid for the damage. Then I started running Michelin XPS Rib 235/85R16 with no problems. They aged out and got expensive so I tried BFG Commercial 235/85R16. These are all load range E. One BFG blew and took out a fender when 3 years old, but Michelin refused the claim.

Discount Tire then recommended their house brand Hartland load range G that is very similar to the Sailuns. So now I have 2 Hartlands and 2 Sailuns that are run at 80 psi because that is max for my wheels and all that is needed for my weight. Both brands look identical and have 4 or 5,000 miles on them, about 2 years old.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:26 PM   #57
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Even though BFG is owned by Michelin, it likely operates as a separate company. Not unusual. Sort of like Thor and Keystone. If a problem with a Montana is covered, it is covered by Keystone not Thor. BFG should have covered the tire issue.

I ran my first set of Michelin XPS Ribs 8 years, still looked new, and never even a low tire. Replaced with a new set of same. No need tempting fate. For lighter trailers they are great.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:33 PM   #58
Jetson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #180
Michelin wrote the letter denying the BFG claim.
Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:15 PM   #59
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetson View Post
Michelin wrote the letter denying the BFG claim.
That's pretty standard. Unless there is proof of product failure caused by the builder/manufacturer there must be another reason for the failure.

Did you keep the failed tire? If no, case closed. The proof has been lost.