Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2004, 04:08 PM   #1
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
A/C Fin Problem ( a neat tool!)

Shortly after we purchased our 5er, I had parked under a tree with low hanging branches that hung even lower during a heavy rain and windstorm. As a result, the branches "flattened" at least 2/3 of the A/C Fins on the roof unit. This greatly reduced the cooling capacity, and caused the compressor to overheat and stop cooling. I started by using round toothpicks to try to straighten the fins, but this would become a never ending job! A search over the WWW found me exactly the tool I needed for the job, and I thought I should share the information here. I was able to order a "fin comb" pictured below at a cost of $14.95 plus shipping.

I ordered this from the following site, and received it in just a couple days. I have since loaned it to several other campers who I had noticed had crushed fins on their A/C. It also works on home A/C's like mine that had been damaged by hail and lawnmower debris.

http://www.aapak.com/Qstore/p000144.htm

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 06:36 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Informative post. thanks.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 12:03 PM   #3
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi Karl, thanks for the post.

If you key in on RV A/C units in your travels you will see a lot of this. Damage to fins that is. Some Manufacturers put a protecting screen on at the factory. You can purchase a protecting screen I believe from Camping World or like me you can make your own.

I bought a piece of 1/4" galvanized steel screen from my local Hardware store, cut it to size and screwed it to the rear of the A/C unit. It provides great protection and looks factory installed.

On our last Trailer a hail storm did a number on ours. I spent about two hrs. laying on the roof with a pair of tweezers.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 01:29 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We put a finguard from an RV Dealer over ours but in the absence of some kind of guard this would be a great tool to have.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:36 AM   #5
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
Now that AC time is here, I thought I would renew this thread about the FIN COMB that I mentioned when I started the thread.

A friend at a campground where I was just a short time ago was complaining of his unit not cooling well, and when we looked, the fins on the unit on the roof were really mashed (they had had a hail storm) He used my fin comb to straighten the fins, and there was a big improvement in cooling.

After straigtening the fins, a fin guard is a great solution.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 12:19 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think the comb would be a useful tool to have even with a finguard. The finguard naturally has to have some holes to allow airflow and you can still get damage, especially from hail. It's good at keeping tree limbs out but wouldn't help a lot with hail.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 05:33 PM   #7
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
we have one of these thingys too. worked real good on our other 5er when something hit the a/c. our son made sure his mechanics had these for repairs when he was over in Kuwait and Iraq--made their air conditioners work better, if that is possible in 130-140 degrees.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:55 AM   #8
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
Just a note,anyone can buy this tool at most ant hvac wholesale house,such as r.e.michel or united refigeration.Cost at these places only about 5 bucks.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:24 PM   #9
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Thanks for “bumping” this post, Karl. A VERY useful tool. I have some fins on the house ac unit that could use this.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 04:51 PM   #10
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Looks like it could be used on a radiator on the TV if need be.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote