Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2023, 04:37 PM   #1
Cynger
Established Member

M.O.C. #32971
Observation/Back Up Camera Help

Hello,

We have a 'new to us' 2017 Montana High Country 310 RE that is wired for a back up camera.

We tow with a 2022 Chev Silverado 2500 HD

If we buy just the camera (link below) is that all we need?

Will it show the camera view on our truck's dash display when towing?

https://furrion.com/collections/came...ay-rear-camera

Thank you!

Signed, so new we haven't take a trip anywhere yet.....

Cynger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 06:29 PM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
The rig is wired to power a Bluetooth camera. You'll need the receiver/Video screen. If you want to utilize your truck video you'll need one of these which plugs into the camera input on the rear of the truck. I had one but it was too much work dealing with the 50' wire.
https://accessories.gmc.com/product/...,118973,307007
Old 07-23-2023, 06:33 PM   #3
Cynger
Established Member

M.O.C. #32971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
The rig is wired to power a Bluetooth camera. You'll need the receiver/Video screen. If you want to utilize your truck video you'll need one of these which plugs into the camera input on the rear of the truck. I had one but it was too much work dealing with the 50' wire.
https://accessories.gmc.com/product/...,118973,307007
thank you! That is the information I needed.
Old 07-23-2023, 06:40 PM   #4
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I dont know for sure but i think the answer is no - it will not connect to your truck system. Hopefully someone here will know the definitive answer.

Most folks here use the rear camera to monitor traffic behind the rig during travel. You need a camera and a monitor. The problem lots of people have is these Montanas are so long that the signal from the camera has a hard time connecting reliably to the monitor screen while you are moving at 60 mph. Lots of dark screens, frozen pics, at least that has been my problem.

The Furrion tends to be pricey. There are other choices for $400 or less. I have a Visionworks system that has had problems connecting over the long distance. They just sent me a 60’ long heavy duty shielded coax with a new antena. I will hook it to my camera and run the coax across my roof and mount the new antenna just behind the front cap. I have seen youtube videos of this fix on a 47’ Momentum toy hauler and it fixed his issues. I have also seen a review from a Montana owner who installed a Haloview system with two antennas and the signal is strong enough to make the distance. The Haloview screen is BIG maybe 8”. I like my 5” screen from Visionworks… less dash clutter.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 06:45 PM   #5
Cynger
Established Member

M.O.C. #32971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
I dont know for sure but i think the answer is no - it will not connect to your truck system. Hopefully someone here will know the definitive answer.

Most folks here use the rear camera to monitor traffic behind the rig during travel. You need a camera and a monitor. The problem lots of people have is these Montanas are so long that the signal from the camera has a hard time connecting reliably to the monitor screen while you are moving at 60 mph. Lots of dark screens, frozen pics, at least that has been my problem.

The Furrion tends to be pricey. There are other choices for $400 or less. I have a Visionworks system that has had problems connecting over the long distance. They just sent me a 60’ long heavy duty shielded coax with a new antena. I will hook it to my camera and run the coax across my roof and mount the new antenna just behind the front cap. I have seen youtube videos of this fix on a 47’ Momentum toy hauler and it fixed his issues. I have also seen a review from a Montana owner who installed a Haloview system with two antennas and the signal is strong enough to make the distance. The Haloview screen is BIG maybe 8”. I like my 5” screen from Visionworks… less dash clutter.
Thank you! We have lots of research to do. Thanks for the tips on the other brands
Old 07-24-2023, 09:42 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I've had the Furrion Observation Camera system for 5 years now and it's still working pretty good. We also added the side cameras. My trailer is 41 feet long and as far as receiving the signal on the monitor, we've never had any problems with that.

I tested the distance of the camera and monitor when it was brand new. I jump wired the umbilical plug on the trailer to turn on all the running lights, which turned on the camera. Then I plugged the monitor into the cigarrette lighter plug in the truck and drove away to see how far I could get. It had a distance of around 350 feet before the signal went black.

When driving, we've never had issues. Some times there may be a little jumping motion going on, but that is rare.

Night driving is interesting. I've never figured it out. The night vision on the camera is really good. But there are streaks that whiz by across the screen. It reminds me of a lightening bug wizzing by the camera. But, when mo-docking down the road at 60 mph, I don't think those weird streaks are lightening bugs. I just assumed it was an alien space ship chasing me! I got use to it after a while. It weird when it happens. I've never figured it out.

I've had mine for 5 years now, and the only problem I'm having now is, in bright sunlight, the monitor is not not bright enough. There is an image on the screen and but hard to see in bright day light. Maybe moving it off my dash would help, but I don't have any better place to put it.

To answer your question on another point, if you go with the Furrion, it is NOT compatible with any automobile back-up system. It is a complete stand alone system. You need the back up / observation camera AND the monitor that sits on your dash board or some where else in the cab of the tow vehicle.

The camera is usually wired into the running lights on the trailer. So, in order for the camera to work, you need to drive with your head lights on. Some folks find creative ways to wire them up different with on-off switches independent of the running lights of the trailer so they can take the monitor inside the camper at night with them. I for one, have never felt a need to do that and THAT's a lot of work and effort to wire it up that way.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 09:20 AM   #7
ojo123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21516
trailer camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynger View Post
Hello,

We have a 'new to us' 2017 Montana High Country 310 RE that is wired for a back up camera.

We tow with a 2022 Chev Silverado 2500 HD

If we buy just the camera (link below) is that all we need?

Will it show the camera view on our truck's dash display when towing?

https://furrion.com/collections/came...ay-rear-camera

Thank you!

Signed, so new we haven't take a trip anywhere yet.....

I bought a camera from GM that was compatible to the silverado and installed on the trailer. It worked great for about a year and then the signal would dissappear either from the truck or the camera.. still trying to figure it out. Not worth the expense of having it in the info center to me so far.
ojo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 05:22 PM   #8
FinallyRetired

M.O.C. #32706
Can anyone tell me what camera fits here?

Can anyone identify what camera my 2023 High Country is “ready” for? The dealer says furrion, but it doesn’t have the shape that I have seen on furrion cameras. I am pulling my motorcycle trailer behind the HC and I want to be able to keep an eye on it while driving down the road. Any help will be appreciated.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5397.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	15544  
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 06:52 PM   #9
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
Doesn’t look like furrion to me.
2021 Montana 3761fl pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Gonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 07:05 PM   #10
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
John,

Assuming there is power behind the plate you can mount whatever wireless camera you want to use.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 07:35 PM   #11
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Furrion, 12 volt pre-wired bluetooth. Quite frankly I've had a back up camera and sold it. I found IMO it's unnecessary. Just my opinion! DW does great!
Old 09-21-2023, 03:46 AM   #12
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
See if you can feel a 1” hole under that sticker. The wires (2) will be inside the hole for you to fish out.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 07:53 AM   #13
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Furrion, 12 volt pre-wired bluetooth. Quite frankly I've had a back up camera and sold it. I found IMO it's unnecessary. Just my opinion! DW does great!
Couldn't agree more on DW being the very best backup camera! Didn't need a backup camera while driving semi rigs for a couple million miles and don't care for one now. Just my 2 cents and YMMV
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 03:10 PM   #14
Rick A
Established Member

M.O.C. #26559
Backup camera

I have a Furion. As previously mentioned you need the headlights on to activate the camera. Mine has a small monitor of about 3.5 or 4 inches and uses the suction cup mount which I put high up on the wind shield so it doesn't block my view to much and then you have to put up with that annoying power cord hanging down. That being said, I consider the whole thing useless as the monitor is so small that it is hard to tell/trust what you are seeing. I still rely on a DW spotter with 2 way radio or phone communication.

Just my two cents worth.
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 04:59 PM   #15
dave22554
Established Member

M.O.C. #32747
I am looking at Tadi Brothers. They claim to have one that does wireless for 65 ft and the screen clips on rear view mirror so no additional screens on my dash. I really wish someone would come up with a tablet that would integrate RV Maps, TPMS, camera, dash camera etc and if it could run on current screen even better. What I don't want is another screen on my dash.
dave22554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 06:25 PM   #16
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have a Tadi that I bought in Quartzsite with a repeater that was mounted on the roof of the RV near the front. I could never get it to work consistently. Usually all there was is a blank screen. YMMV

If you were near you could have it.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 06:59 PM   #17
cman
Established Member

M.O.C. #852
We have a 2021 Montana 3931 Legacy, we have the Furrion 3 cameras system. The two cameras works great never drop the signal but the rear camera loss the signal. The two side cameras has all the signal bars, the rear camera only has one signal bar. We call Furrion multiple times since we had the unit (brand new). They don't know what the problem is, said to purchase a new camera. Does anybody has this problem and what was the fix.
Thank you
Carlos and Danette Alario
cman is offline   Reply With Quote