Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2024, 06:35 AM   #21
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblir View Post
... When you did put them in the truck near the tailgate, I assume there were no clearance issues between them and the camper?
The bed of my truck is deep enough I can close the Flip-Back cover and completely hide them. I have about a 1/4 inch clearance for the truck bed cover, but they fit with no problems. I have about 6 inches clearance between the bed rails of the truck and the bottom of the fifth wheel overhang. So, when the generators are inside the bed, I can close the cover and keep them out of site. I just don't like site seeing with them in the truck. That's another reason why they end up inside the camper. But for travel .... they travel very well in bed of the truck. Lots of clearance for the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Dutch where did you get that ramp?
Believe it or not... Amazon! I like them because they do fold in half. They can hold (I think) 1500 pounds. But, they do have some spring-i-ness to them that takes some getting use to. They fit very nice in the bed of my pick up truck. There's enough clearance above my Barker Blue Sewer tote for them to fit (side-by-side) and still close the fip-back top. I keep the sewer tote closest to the front of the bed and that first section of fli-back cover is closed (laying down).

The other thing I was not aware of, of course ordering off the internet you're never sure what you are actually getting, is ... all the sharp edges. Those aluminum cut edges are sharp. They are made that way to grip what ever is being driven up or down the ramp. But, it's hard on the hands. It took a while to learn how to handle them safely.

The other thing I use the ramps for are for the dogs. They make a great dog ramp. One ramp by itself still affords room to walk up and down the steps. However, when we use it for a dog ramp, I have to throw a rug over them so the dogs' feet won't get hurt on those sharp edges. The ramp sits on the top step so the door will close. The dogs have to jump up only 1 step that way. We don't have older dogs any more, still young ones, so they don't have problems going up and down the steps. But they did work well for our older dogs when they had difficulty using steps.

So, the ramps get used for several things. They get used a home a lot too. They are great for loading things into the bed of the pick-up.

Foldback:
I like your cargo carrier in your photos above. Although my Montana has a factory hitch, attaching anything to the hitch and then loading it up will block my back door access storage area. I have a storage area across the entire back. This is where I carry all my "stuff" for setting up the camper.... electric cords, lumber for leveling, garden hoses. Blocking that door would mean unloading everything from the carrier first before I could access anything in the compartment. That's just too much work to do when initially setting up camp or when breaking camp. So, I've never been able to put a carrier there.... even though I have one I used on my previous travel trailer.

Without a storage area there, your's looks like it works very well. That's a nice set-up!

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 01:18 PM   #22
jkxtreme
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33751
If you can open up that front compartment you could install a slideout with a generator.
Checkout this video of what we did
https://youtu.be/RVB_UazYH7I?si=puS0Y090tJnPmZqt
jkxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 10:32 PM   #23
Blueblir
Established Member

M.O.C. #33057
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkxtreme View Post
If you can open up that front compartment you could install a slideout with a generator.
Checkout this video of what we did
https://youtu.be/RVB_UazYH7I?si=puS0Y090tJnPmZqt
That's a great idea. How do you route the exhaust?
Blueblir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 12:02 PM   #24
Pburger

M.O.C. #33953
Gen storage

I added a dual side sliding tray that fits my 4500 cummins gen. I use propane so when sliding out the tray to the max the exhaust points away from the trailer. I am careful to watch wind etc for fumes to come into the trailer. It resides next to my propane tank which has a y connector from the regulator and my power chord is about 8 feet away.
Pburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 04:27 PM   #25
jkxtreme
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33751
I had a 18" exhaust extension fabricated by a local welder. I bought an exhaust pipe from Amazon then had a new flange welded to it. The blower pushes the exhaust and heat away from the rv, so the exhaust extension only needs to 'steer' the exhaust flow so the air flow from the blower takes care of getting the fumes away. Here's a link to the extension I bought on Amazon....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-12-2024, 09:44 PM   #26
Blueblir
Established Member

M.O.C. #33057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pburger View Post
I added a dual side sliding tray that fits my 4500 cummins gen. I use propane so when sliding out the tray to the max the exhaust points away from the trailer. I am careful to watch wind etc for fumes to come into the trailer. It resides next to my propane tank which has a y connector from the regulator and my power chord is about 8 feet away.
Cool idea
Blueblir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 11:02 AM   #27
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
That Westinghouse generator on the rear rack pictured in #6 are from my setup. I run ratchet straps around frame and to rack and generator to assure nothing is flopping around loosely back there. My camera is facing down so I can assure all is well. 10,000 miles and I am still happy with my setup. I plug a 50 to 30 dogbone to a 10 foot 30 amp cord. Exhaust never been an issue and the minimal vibration doesn't bother me a bit. I have a PVC made tent cover that fits over the top when parked for rain allowing plenty of air to vent/cool
Old 04-13-2024, 12:47 PM   #28
jkxtreme
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33751
That's a sweet setup.

Tags
generator