Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2012, 01:32 AM   #21
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
Orv, thanks for the post. We too have been using angel soft for years and like it. I have noticed in the last couple weeks the packaging along with the size of the rolls have changed, much to my disliking. But now because of what I have found out here we WILL be switching TP. Thank you for the info on this matter.

junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:54 AM   #22
Dontana
Established Member

M.O.C. #12608
For what it’s worth, I recently towed my 2012 unit back from the dealer to correct a black tank dump valve problem. We were using Sam’s Club paper in it for a month, before the valve stopped closing all the way. We used the same paper in our Airstream for 15 years, no difficulties. I just winterized another tt, our original (Coachmen) and noticed the dump valve was a little sticky. Well, it’s only forty years old. We used whatever paper was on sale with this rig. Never a problem.

As a response to the Montana valve not closing all the way, I used the Thetford valve lube, vegetable oil bath, two applications of tissue dissolver over weeklong periods, Valterra twist on valve, hose down the toilet (twice), tank sprayer with valve opened and closed, but received no joy. The dealership showed me pictures of the valve plugged with paper, after handing me a bill for $150 dollars, even though I would estimate it cost me $350 dollars with towing and equipment costs and two months worth of angst.

This being said, I believe the dilemma is more of a mechanical problem than a paper one. Due to this theory and because I’m not going to personally replace my tank/valve, I have decided to go the RV paper route to reduce my exposure. I just don’t want to go through the mega hassle that I did this past summer and it’s worth it to me to bite the bullet and stock up on the recommended tissue. Of all the problems I’ve had RVing, this was the one that really got to me.

I will continue to monitor blank tank conversations with interest, but I have made my choice. To each, good luck with the option that you choose.
Dontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:06 AM   #23
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
So I'm guessing using corn cobs and old Sears catalogs is out of the question?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:10 AM   #24
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Members with very LOW ID #'s here at the MOC may remember several of my posts/rants on this subject:

MORE WATER, LESS PAPER.

Always, no matter WHAT brand, single ply, double ply.

MORE WATER!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:45 AM   #25
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
What was that Carol? Could you repeat it???
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:52 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Carol is correct....We have angel soft now and I just gave it the shake in water test and it dissolved as usual//Wonder what is going on..We purchased this batch about one month ago at a family dollar.Will keep a eye out when we get a new batch...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:10 AM   #27
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Rhondo,

Believe it was

MORE WATER!!!!!!!!!!

And if you don't get the LESS PAPER stuff, go ahead, ask!
Old 10-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #28
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I'm afraid to Carol! LOL We've taken Carols advice since she first posted her MORE WATER post! I'll be checking our new package of AS we have at ehe stick and brick and see what it says. We've used AS for over three years now and have had no problems! I think it also depends if you use any other tank additives. We're using Happy Camper and have had no problems and the AS seems to be breaking up without any problems.
Going to have to see what we will be doing this January at Q since water conservation is somewhat important. Think we'll be carrying some extra milkjugs full of H2O to keep the water quantity in the black tank high! I know Carol and Al will be there also so we'll see what they plan to do!
Old 10-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #29
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Use your potty! That's my plan!
Old 10-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #30
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Members with very LOW ID #'s here at the MOC may remember several of my posts/rants on this subject:

MORE WATER, LESS PAPER.

Always, no matter WHAT brand, single ply, double ply.

MORE WATER!!
Carol, I recognize that we need to use a lot of water -- and we do. Plus we only put some tp in the toilet, the rest goes in the waste basket (I won't elaborate 'cause I'm sure everyone knows what I mean. My problem that I found with the new Angel Soft tp is that it doesn't break down like the old stuff did. I used to be able to dump and not see one iota of tp through the clear elbow I use on my holding tank drain. I don't have any clogs -- I just don't like all the tp not breaking down.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #31
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I'm with ya Orv~!

And, thank you for the warning on this, it is appreciated!!

Some of the newbies tho, might not know about the trash can procedures (which is what I was alluding to earlier). We learned that trick in boats so many years ago I cannot remember how many years it was.

Basically, my posts are a suggestion that not all paper must go down the toilet.

When I have been in a discussion with campers face to face, like in person, I can tell you that there are a lot of people that have never heard of trash can paper!
Old 10-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #32
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
not seeing tp in the clear dump fittings might only mean that the tp is staying in the tank
after 30+ years experience with porta-potties in pop-up campers, and black waste tanks and valves in TTS and 5th wheels, along with the experiences of long time RVers among friends and family, i will never use anything other than RV TP. to truly see the difference, dump into a sewer tote tank after using residential tp and empty it into a curbed basin sewer dump station. then do the same thing with RV TP. The RV TP actually 'liquifies' in the black water. i trust thetford and other rv/marine black waste system manufacturers when they say to only use RV TP :-}

fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #33
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Home TP isn't even good for the sticks and bricks. I know of two folks who had to bring in the back hoe and dig up there yard because TP snagged in a joint in their pipes and plugged up their sewer line. One was using Cottonelle and the other was Charmin. In both cases the plumber told them to stop using those brands.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:43 AM   #34
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
This may help. If you're travelling from one campsite to another, after flushing the black tank, put in 10 to 15 gallons of water, some Calgon and black tank treatment and ice cubes and drive to the next stop. The water will slosh around the tank like a hurricane while driving, the ice cubes will bang around and loosen a lot that was stuck.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:07 AM   #35
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
We started RVing in the 70s with a slide in P/U camper that had a recirculating toilet. We have never used RV TP, and never had a problem. IMHO, RV TP is like many things RV/boat. The people selling it say you must use it, but in fact it is no different than any other similar item, other than it says "For RV or Marine Use."
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #36
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I don't have any type of blockage problem or lack of water or waiting too long before dumping. The problem I originally posted was with the Angel Soft tp. We used it because it broke down well so that it practically disappeared. None of it stayed in the tank when dumping. The new and improved Angel Soft does not, I repeat, does not break down as well and could pose a problem if you're macerating like we do a lot of while traveling.

As I've mentioned previously, we've never had a blockage, a pyramid, or anything else you might have heard of. Our black water tank has always emptied well and still does even with the "new and improved" Angel Soft. I just don't like the way it doesn't break down.

Afte over 35 years of RVing we've never had any kind of problem with the black water tank except for a leak in the tank and the tank had to be replaced.

Orv
Old 10-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #37
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We use Angel Soft at both the stick and brick and also Monte and have had no problems at all. We have purchased new packages of AS and have had no problems with them at all. Georgia Pacific who makes AS has said they have changed their product some and they have and also changed their packaging but the packages still say that the product is Septic Safe. I've tested every paper we've purchased for the Monte and AS has been the best of all. The toilet paper you buy at Camping World, Wally World or your dealership is OK but it is like using tissue paper and doesn't breakup any better than any of the others as far as I've seen in my personal tests and you use more of it and it feels like sandpaper IMHO. I've got a square of the new Angel Soft in a bowl at the present time testing it! We'll see how it stacks up to the old stuff! LOL

Update at 6 PM on Sunday!-- The sheet of Angel Soft sat in water in a bowl for 1 hour here and I went to lift the bowl and the paper fell apart! No problems with the NEW Angel Soft either! HURRAH!!
Old 10-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #38
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Have no idea where Orv purchased his latest supply, have to figure it is not where Rondo purchased his.

Have to wonder, did Orv get the new stuff, and Rondo, your store did not have the new stuff?? You know, what was in the pipeline to what section of the country??

I have NO idea, I just wonder sometimes! LOL

As far as the RV paper, I never liked the "texture" either, but, what really turned me off was the smell. Peculiar when I used it, one time, many moons ago. I thought it smelled like, well, I just cannot describe it, but, I decided I was never using that stuff again.

Still, all the discussions are great and thanks again Orv for bringing this to our attention, we will all be watching the situation and the packaging, the awareness is a VERY good thing.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:17 AM   #39
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We purchased our latest Angel Soft from Wal-Mart in Midland, MI last month (September). I noticed the different packaging, however it said it was new and improved--boy, I'm all for that. I bought the 12 rolls same as 24 rolls. I noticed that it felt different and the rolls are looser. We'll get by and Georgia Pacific has been made aware of our disappointment with the product. We'll keep looking and find something we are satisfied with. But I will not pay the exorbitant amounts that are paid for tissue at Camping World.

Orv
Old 10-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #40
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
I'm so glad this post came along. One of the RV Parks we recently stayed at said to use only single ply toilet tissue. I complied but while talking to one of my "neighbors" about Angle Soft breaking down just as well as any single ply, I decided to show them by doing the jar-shake-up test. Well...just imagine when it didn't break up! I shook and shook and shook. Then finally it broke down into two pieces. So much for being a toilet paper know-it-all. I guess I'll switch to some single ply and use the Angle Soft as Halloween decoration.
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote