Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2022, 06:12 AM   #1
Mispeld

M.O.C. #31266
Looking to purchase 2016 3711FL - Slide Leaking??

Camper needs a lot of work and has been in storage.

The driver’s side living room slide:

Bottom of the couch was damp around where your feet would rest around the middle. The carpet under the slide was wet in the same area more towards the "L" shape of the sofa/floor vent.

Also - the fiberglass on the bottom of the slide underneath on the outside sags a bit and I can push it with my hand like it has become delaminated. This slide is the one where it doesn't have the black tyvek stuff like the other slides. It is not solid like the others where you can knock on it and have a hard, dense surface. The fiberglass panel also has a small crack and indent from sliding on the roller. I am unsure if this is normal or if maybe water has damaged the floor of the slide and caused problems.

There was a small boatload of pine needles trapped on and in the top slid/seal when it was retracted so perhaps the leak was coming from there? I also see a small 1/4' gap on the bottom left when the slide is pulled in and seals as you go up, top, and back down the other side.

Floor on the actual camper seems solid and I see no signs of damage nor any moisture or water below in the basement.

Price seems right but may not be much meat left on the bone if there are serious slider issues. Carpet and couch needed replacing anyway. I'm not sure if I should walk.

1. Is the fiberglass on the bottom of the slide normal? It has flex to it when you press it.

2. Is the small indent from the roller and the crack an area of concern?

Mispeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 03:49 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I would run away from this rig. Looks like it will be a money pit.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 04:16 PM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I haven't shopped used units but 35K sounds like a lot of money for a 6-year-old unit that is going to require a lot of work. Trust me, maintaining mine and helping many others maintain theirs, when you get into it, it'll be more than you originally anticipated. Think that's an RV Rule!
Old 07-02-2022, 01:04 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
It looks to me like the slide floor is pretty well shot from water damage. Replacing the floor is no easy job. When a person closes a slide with a pile of pine needles on top to the point that you've shown, that tells me they're not very particular about keeping their camper up. I'd guess if you continue to check on things closely, the rotted slide floor will be just one of many issues. Put this one in your rearview mirror and keep looking.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 01:12 PM   #5
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
I agree with others on the post, keep looking, there are plenty of used RV's

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:12 AM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I know that camper prices have really gone up. You may want to hire a professional inspector to go through the unit. Then call Affinity in Goshen to get a ballpark price to replace the slide floor if that is all that is wrong. Also check NADA and your bank to see what the current price is on a unit like that. Also, the options don’t always get valued as high on used rigs. If it has IS or disk brakes, those would certainly be things to consider. Good luck and let us know which way you go.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote