Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2022, 10:28 AM   #1
TomKen59

M.O.C. #30453
2022 295RL quality issues

I bought a brand-new Montana 295RL in january, we have been overwhelmed with quality issues. We think we have a lemon. Did anyone else have as many problems? I believe the trademark is a step up from other trailers. we didn't expect this many issues.

Inverter don't work, plugs/fridge non op while traveling.
BBQ outlet don't work
kitch slide don't retract, needs a pull from me. friction bind
roof sheathing not fastened down, roof membrane is separating
one roof leak near BR AC unit
slide #1 leaks when extended
2 out of 4 cheap chinse tire have blown, we replaced the tires with better, keystone won't stand behind the cheap tires to repay us.
front exterior body at the generator door separating from the frame, screws not strong enough. body might warp.

Tom

TomKen59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 11:37 AM   #2
Cherokee
Established Member

M.O.C. #29650
Feel your pain brother, look at our post and you will see the problems we had. We backed out of buying ours.
The only fifthwheel that we have gone in that has looked like decent quality has been the KZ Durango.
Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 11:53 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKen59 View Post
I bought a brand-new Montana 295RL in january, we have been overwhelmed with quality issues. We think we have a lemon. Did anyone else have as many problems? I believe the trademark is a step up from other trailers. we didn't expect this many issues.

BBQ outlet don't work
2 out of 4 cheap chinse tire have blown, we replaced the tires with better, keystone won't stand behind the cheap tires to repay us.
front exterior body at the generator door separating from the frame, screws not strong enough. body might warp.

Tom

I feel you pain, we have had issues also, not that many. I did replace the China made tries, as soon as I got the 2021 Montana home. I can assure everyone has issues with new 5th wheels, some brands much worse than others.

I made comments about the China made tires, upset some. However, thats my choice. I will now run China made tires on a 5th wheel. Ever wonder why some RV brands install China made tires on 5th wheels? Good Luck.

Happy trails.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 12:18 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
You are NOT alone. Look at this recent thread: Click Here.

We purchased our Montana in the Fall of 2018. In the first year we had 88 different issues, problems, warranty work, and disappointments. After I gave up on warranty, I took the matter into my own hands, and it still seems like I rebuilt the entire camper all over, from the tires to the vent cap for the black and grey tank. (really!) Now, it's a really great camper! But it sure didn't come from the factory this way,

You are not along.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 02:09 PM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
If the tires were Sailun, there was a recall on the ones made in Vietnam for a specific batch. Look in the files section for a copy of the recall.
Search threads for
Sailun tires.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 02:04 PM   #6
Brian S
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27692
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKen59 View Post

BBQ outlet don't work

Tom
Tom - did you ever get the kitchen slide to close correctly? I'm having the same problem on my 2022 295. Also have a problem that the autolevel always goes out of stroke and lifts the rear wheels off the ground even on perfectly even ground and even after resetting it level manually.
Old 03-05-2022, 04:57 PM   #7
TomKen59

M.O.C. #30453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
Tom - did you ever get the kitchen slide to close correctly? I'm having the same problem on my 2022 295. Also have a problem that the autolevel always goes out of stroke and lifts the rear wheels off the ground even on perfectly even ground and even after resetting it level manually.
We have heard that keystone is having this problem with the 295 model. the top left corner still needs my help retracking to the closed position. Our dealer tried to fix it before we left for 36 days. since the fix didn't work i give the slide help closing. we are well documented with keystone customer service for what thats worth these days.
Our table/chair slide is miss centered in the opening, it leaks, you can see daylight though the opening. The roof leak was fixed by me, the factory caulk around the antenna dome was not sealed correctly, i filled the holes and the water stopped.
QA/QC isn't being checked at the factory!!
Tom
TomKen59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 01:24 PM   #8
Charlie W
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23396
They all need work and most of the extended warranty contracts are worthless. When you buy one you need to be a mechanic or have deep pockets.
Charlie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 07:26 PM   #9
BuckandTeresa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24683
As many have posted here, OEM tires are a disgrace. Mine were Raniers, and at about 2000 miles one of mine blew/ exploded and damaged my underbody, other tire, and bent my rear jack. Treadit was the company responsible for the tires from Keystone on my 2019 3130RL. I contacted them, they asked for pictures, and within a week I had a check for $165 per tire times two. Unfortunately, they refused to cover the $1400 in damage to everything. My deductible is $1000, so time to dip into my emergency account. Discount Tire sold me five nice Goodyear 614s, lifetime balancing, rotation and road hazard/ replacement for $3000. No more worries about my tires.
BuckandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:21 PM   #10
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie W View Post
They all need work and most of the extended warranty contracts are worthless. When you buy one you need to be a mechanic or have deep pockets.
Good Sam denied 2 claims on us.. they are useless.
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 04:12 AM   #11
81SHOVELHEAD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28894
295 rl

Purchased our 2021 295RL in April of 2021 . Build date was 03/15/2021 . Lived it it from 10/21 thru 04/22 . Zero issues with our 2021 . Temp extremes from 95F down to 17F with no issues . Everything worked as it should . I really believe that all the minor issues being found by customers are due to most RV dealers are not doing receiving inspections as payed to do by mfg.
81SHOVELHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:35 AM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I agree, I have always removed China made tires. Never had a tire blow out with American made tires.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:49 AM   #13
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaine and Lindy View Post
I agree, I have always removed China made tires. Never had a tire blow out with American made tires.
What kind of American made tires do you have now?
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:16 AM   #14
81SHOVELHEAD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28894
My 2014 Cougar 28RLS came with TK load range D tires. 5 yrs over 20,000 miles with zero issues. Spare was never put on the ground. Replaced due to age not wear . My 2021 Montana High Country 295RL came with Rainier (AKA China Bombs) Load range F 12 ply . Plenty enough tire for our 12k lb. RV . With the inflated prices of tires right now (2018 5 Herculese H901 890.00 mounted ,balanced out the door . Got a quote from same dealer ,same tires 2 weeks ago . 1,429.00 4 tires mounted ,balanced out the door. Gonna roll the dice with the Rainiers same as i did with the Trailer King tires (AKA China bombs). I would also like to know what American made ST tires comes in a load range F or G . Goodyear Endurance only comes in a Load range E 10 ply . & yes they're prone to failures same as the AKA China bombs.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:33 AM   #15
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Our Sailun tires are made in China. Never an issue.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:34 AM   #16
Mike4956
Established Member

M.O.C. #29938
I have a 2022 295 RL. Several issues, most are easy fixes. The inverter drives me crazy, it is a complicated procedure to change the settings to get it to work, which I have had to do a few times for an unknown reason. Why does that thing have to be so difficult I have no idea. More than likely that is the problem with yours, it is a setting.

I am assuming when you say BBQ outlet you are referring to the LP quick connect that is underneath the steps. I had a problem with mine also until I figured out that I just did not have the one-way valve turned correctly, LOL.

My kitchen slide seems to bind also but it does work, I did send in a video and they said that is normal. We have camped in it several times already and it still seems to work.

I did have a problem with the main thermostat but I ended up changing it for a Micro-Air, which did not work at first either, ended up getting a second one of those also.

The 2022 model line came with upgraded tires which have good ratings online, I been using them with no problems.

I feel your pain, I do not believe there is any way anybody can own one of these without being a MacGyver type person. I have had several boats, they are all the same they require constant upkeep. This is my second RV, they appear to require the same type of attention. Pretty much every time I in it, I am fixing something.

I don't think it's exclusive to the 295, they all appear to have issues.
Mike4956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 03:39 PM   #17
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
What kind of American made tires do you have now?
Cooper
Old 05-13-2022, 03:41 PM   #18
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Our biggest issue is the kitchen slide. Repaired 3x now. The cable slide twice.Last repair was the shear bolt.
Old 05-13-2022, 03:43 PM   #19
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4956 View Post
I have a 2022 295 RL. Several issues, most are easy fixes. The inverter drives me crazy, it is a complicated procedure to change the settings to get it to work, which I have had to do a few times for an unknown reason. Why does that thing have to be so difficult I have no idea. More than likely that is the problem with yours, it is a setting.

I am assuming when you say BBQ outlet you are referring to the LP quick connect that is underneath the steps. I had a problem with mine also until I figured out that I just did not have the one-way valve turned correctly, LOL.

My kitchen slide seems to bind also but it does work, I did send in a video and they said that is normal. We have camped in it several times already and it still seems to work.

I did have a problem with the main thermostat but I ended up changing it for a Micro-Air, which did not work at first either, ended up getting a second one of those also.

The 2022 model line came with upgraded tires which have good ratings online, I been using them with no problems.

I feel your pain, I do not believe there is any way anybody can own one of these without being a MacGyver type person. I have had several boats, they are all the same they require constant upkeep. This is my second RV, they appear to require the same type of attention. Pretty much every time I in it, I am fixing something.

I don't think it's exclusive to the 295, they all appear to have issues.
I hate to say this, the reason they all do it is because one company owns all of them .
Old 05-13-2022, 05:19 PM   #20
81SHOVELHEAD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28894
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
I hate to say this, the reason they all do it is because one company owns all of them .
I'm on several RV websights & talk to several owners of different mfgs. They all have problems . I agree with the McGyver statement . I always tinkering with something to be proactive & only fix things to upgrade b4 the poor mfg. Process fails . Our 2014 Cougar 28RLS made it to repair shop 1 time still under warranty. Black tank flush valve was installed backward, 2 windows leaked during hard driving rain . Repaired under warranty for & enjoyed our problem free Cougar 28RLS for 7 yrs with zero issues. This is the reason i went back with a Keystone 5th wheel in 2021 .