Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2013, 05:41 AM   #1
mrtgraz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11349
propane mystery

I do a lot of boon docking and therefore run my refer on propane.More then once I had the gas go off. Don't know why, Ive got plenty of gas {not being funny } And i cant get it to relight Ill switch tanks, turn them on and off, disconnect then and everything seems o.k. Them after sometimes hours usually , Ill try it again and it will light right up.has a anyone else had this happen. As info the stove and everything else gas wise wont work either.

mrtgraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sounds to me like a regulator problem. Can you tell us what year and model Monty you have and what kind of regulators you currently have on it?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
mrtgraz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11349
Opps that would help. Its a 2011 3455SA.As far as regulator im not sure its a split 2 tank 30 lb system.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
Many RV style propane hoses have a safety feature called excess flow protection which cuts back or completely off in a high flow situation. They go bad. I had to replace both hoses because they were defective. Not that I'm recommending for you to this but I replaced the original with a standard unrestricted style hose and never had another problem.
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Could it possibly be going off because the refrigerator has reached the desired temp? It will come back on when the box warms up enough and the electronics tells the burner it needs more cold. Jim
Whoops guess I should have finished reading your post before replying. I now see it is on all gas appliances. Like others have said either regulator or hoses. I'd try running with just one tank either curb or street side and see if the problem follows one side or the other. That will help eliminate things to replace. I know on mine the streetside red regulator went bad. I just eliminated it and all has been fine for 3 years.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
IF you get the regulator working and still have trouble with the frig - - -

There is an electronic part on these frigs that controls the propane, you access from the outside, taking the door off.

CountryGuy had to replace ours, cause the frig would not go from electric to propane when we unhooked the power.

CountryGuy says to look at the ignitor board.

Good luck.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
A long shot and I'm not sure if this applies to the gas stove but the refrigerator and the furnace require a reliable 12v source to the control board. If your battery is weak the control boards may not function, thus not allowing the appliance to operate. That is true even when connected to shore power and the battery is weak or failed. Again, I don't think the oven and stove top burners have an electronic controller.

On our 2007 there was a little red regulator inside the propane locker on the side opposite the locker with the normal regulator. The purpose was to keep the safety shutoff built into each propane bottle to keep from triggering if you opened the valve too quickly. Those red regulators were prone to frequent failure. Some of us replaced those with either a different hose or an adapter/connector in place of the little regulator. You then have to open that bottle's valve slowly but no more problems. However, you said you tried the bottles on both sides and neither works. If somehow the excess flow safety valve was triggered it will after a couple of hours (sometimes less) reset itself (if the valve is shut off), allowing propane to flow again. That kind of sounds like your situation except for the part of neither bottle working. The only common point between the two bottles is the main regulator and from there on into the coach.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:49 AM   #8
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We have experienced two issues with our propane system. In our living quarters horse trailer, the refrigerator quit working in much the same manner as described here. We found a broken wire that prevented the battery from being charged. As the battery voltage drained, the electric interlock in the refrigerator cut off the propane supply. In the second instance, we ran our Big Sky generator at the same time the furnace was running. The propane flow was too great for the system causing the propane in the tank to freeze up, thus interrupting the flow. We corrected this first by not running both the generator and furnace at the same time and second by installing two additional batteries so that the furnace could run all night without the generator.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:10 AM   #9
mrtgraz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11349
Okay then I have a few things to try but it looks like not till next spring, I'm gonna be tucking the ole Monty in for the winter this week. Thanks for the clues!