Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2022, 08:45 AM   #1
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Finally a Montana

Hey folks, we've finally arrived! Tony and (wife of 31 years) Donna take possession of our 2022 295RL on the 10th. We're long time RV'ers and this will be our last trailer. I'm migrating from the Keystone forums to this one for obvious reasons. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I can tow the hell out of a TV but I have very little experience with a 5er. I'm looking forward to the adventure!

Foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:00 AM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Tony,

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your new rig.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 10:13 AM   #3
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Welcome to the MOC side. Some of us stay connected to both forums. You've got a real nice new floor plan and a great size for towing and parking. It's about the same size and weight as ours.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 12:01 PM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I think the big difference in towing is backing up. 5ers back up harder, from what I have been told. (I have never had a TT)

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 12:07 PM   #5
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
I think the big difference in towing is backing up. 5ers back up harder, from what I have been told. (I have never had a TT)
I've had both and, IMHO, it's not a matter of harder, just different. The bumper-located hitch for a TT, which is a few feet behind the axle, will respond quicker to turn adjustment, whereas the 5er hitch over the axle is slower. In my experience you need a little more room to make the same adjustment with a 5er. So not harder, just get used to a slower response and larger turning radius. Distance from hitch to wheels is also a factor in determining how much space is needed to adjust your rig.

I think you learn and adapt to your own setup and soon it's just second nature.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:06 PM   #6
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Congratulations Tony and Donna on the new Montana. I hope you get many great years out of it together.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 04:24 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! May your new rig bring you many years of wonderful memories.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 05:33 PM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Congrats on your new Montana and thanks for hopping over to the Montana Forum. But nothing says you can't use both. I read through all forums offered by RV Life, but Keystone and Montana are my most used.

We were travel trailer owners all our lives and trailer is all I ever towed. Then about 4 years ago we got the Montana. Everyone said towing a 5er is so much easier. Well, it took me 6 months to a year before I finally go the hang of the 5er. So, if it doesn't come to you either right away, don't loose heart. It is different.

Now, that it's been almost 4 years, I can vouch that neither is better than the other. But, both are different in their own unique way.

When you get the camper in your possession, take it to an empty parking lot and practice backing in. Use kids hockey cones (from Wall Mart) and use them as markers when you back up, make turns and such. Put markers at your starting point (at the front wheel), and back up. Mark the arch of the turn. Then pull out of it, come around, and try to repeat it with the cones still in place. I did this over-and-over several times. It took about a year, before I realized I was backing into campsites and not stressing out any more.

Today, it's no problem.

Congrats again! And see you "out there" maybe, someday!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 06:37 PM   #9
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Thank you all for the welcome. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions as I progress. Hopefully the weight police are a bit more lenient over here! Don't get me wrong I got a lot of good advice from my years with the other forum but...
Old 01-31-2022, 07:55 PM   #10
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Ha, the weight police are here too. But it's always about the numbers and simple math. Either your truck has a posted payload bigger than your total load on it or it doesn't. What's your truck and the posted payload on the door jamb sticker?
Old 02-01-2022, 06:50 AM   #11
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Wow Foldbak! I just went over to the Keystone site and read your entire post and thread again... Wow-wee! They hammered you to death over there. I'm sorry to see that. Usually "they" are a pretty sensible group, but it looks like "it" got out of hand and the moderator ended up closing the thread. I've never seen a thread actually "closed" over there. Wow!

Well, keep reading the Keystone forum. There's a LOT of stuff over there. Maybe its not stuff specific to your Montana, but there's still a lot of good stuff regarding Keystone, problems with Keystone products, camping in general, travel, finances, the whole gauntlet. And use this forum for things specific for your Montana, (plus anything else you have questions about). There are a few more "general" categories where some general discussion happens. So, don't be shy.

Remember.... the nice thing about posting stuff on these forums, is the simple fact, no one knows who you REALLY are! You could be standing right beside me in a grocery store and I'd never know it's you.

I did completely abandon an RV site about 3 years ago, (not RV Life sites) because, after several years, things just turned nasty. I gave that one up. I tried to be thick skinned, but when the "joy" of using that forum became unwelcoming and it started creating a lot of anxiety for me, it was time to find a different site. (and I did). These forums should be FUN and welcoming to use, not a place to find yourself getting bashed and beat up.

Again... Welcome!
Old 02-01-2022, 07:46 AM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Foldbak, you will find weight police almost on every form about RV's. I was hammered on the other site because I do like the tires they like. Even the site team member said I was being confrontational. That being said I have owned many RV's 6 5th wheels, and 3 bumper pulls. Freightliner sports chassis, a Chevy 4500HD, 6 3500HD's, this since 2005. Have traveled thru or stayed in 44 States. No matter what there are always some who know everything.

Happy trails.

Just fill your want or needs, really just be happy.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:09 AM   #13
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Wow Foldbak! I just went over to the Keystone site and read your entire post and thread again... Wow-wee! They hammered you to death over there. I'm sorry to see that. Usually "they" are a pretty sensible group, but it looks like "it" got out of hand and the moderator ended up closing the thread. I've never seen a thread actually "closed" over there. Wow!

Well, keep reading the Keystone forum. There's a LOT of stuff over there. Maybe its not stuff specific to your Montana, but there's still a lot of good stuff regarding Keystone, problems with Keystone products, camping in general, travel, finances, the whole gauntlet. And use this forum for things specific for your Montana, (plus anything else you have questions about). There are a few more "general" categories where some general discussion happens. So, don't be shy.

Remember.... the nice thing about posting stuff on these forums, is the simple fact, no one knows who you REALLY are! You could be standing right beside me in a grocery store and I'd never know it's you.

I did completely abandon an RV site about 3 years ago, (not RV Life sites) because, after several years, things just turned nasty. I gave that one up. I tried to be thick skinned, but when the "joy" of using that forum became unwelcoming and it started creating a lot of anxiety for me, it was time to find a different site. (and I did). These forums should be FUN and welcoming to use, not a place to find yourself getting bashed and beat up.

Again... Welcome!

I just read the thread and I can't believe it. My take away.....a bunch of grumpy old men.....thirty years and 6 trailers later I'm in a MUCH better position with my 2020 2500 GMC Denali then I was in my Expedition with a 9000lb Prowler that towed great for 4 years. I'll avoid 80 mph in 60 mph winds and I'll be just fine.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:22 AM   #14
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
You have a "home" here. Stick around, it will grow on you.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:22 PM   #15
Mike4956
Established Member

M.O.C. #29938
Hey there, welcome. I have a 2022 295rl, love it. I'm pulling it with a 2016 2500 Ram diesel, with 5k air bags, and a goosebox hitch. It is amazing to pull even in heavy winds, way better than any other trailer or boat I've had. I went to the "other" forum and read some of the comments. The same guys just love to comment about the same things.

Hope you and your wife have many years ahead of you making memories.
Mike4956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 01:37 PM   #16
PatrickandMarga
Established Member

M.O.C. #24888
Great advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post

When you get the camper in your possession, take it to an empty parking lot and practice backing in. Use kids hockey cones (from Wall Mart) and use them as markers when you back up, make turns and such. Put markers at your starting point (at the front wheel), and back up. Mark the arch of the turn. Then pull out of it, come around, and try to repeat it with the cones still in place. I did this over-and-over several times. It took about a year, before I realized I was backing into campsites and not stressing out any more!
Great advice, we used a empty Kmart parking lot and spent hours turning around, backing in, twisting and turning to get a feel. I will be honest, I did run over and kill a
few orange cones, but it was worth it!
PatrickandMarga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 01:39 PM   #17
Inspector0128
Established Member

M.O.C. #25705
I did not read the comments on the other forum but I can guess what the comments related to. It’s difficult for a 3/4 ton diesel truck to make weight with a 14000 GVW trailer. We have a 2020 294RL-pin weight is 2900 lbs. Our 3/4 ton diesel Silverado had a payload of 2450 lbs.

A gasser might give you another 500 lbs. It is what it is, you can add all the airbags you want-it changes nothing related to GVW.

But enough of being a bad guy. You’ll love the trailer. First item to change are the tires. We blew one at 1500 miles. Go with the Sailuns.
Inspector0128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 01:55 PM   #18
hitdrd
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18743
I looked up the model you are getting and it says sleeping for 6, is there a loft in the 376RL? Cause I can't see it
hitdrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 02:48 PM   #19
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitdrd View Post
I looked up the model you are getting and it says sleeping for 6, is there a loft in the 376RL? Cause I can't see it
There's no loft but I have to assume they are counting a dinette booth rather than table and chairs in that number. I don't know which one is standard but I suspect it's the booth even though it's the table/chairs that most dealers opt for since it's a more popular option.

Edit: my bad, I was referring to the 295RL that's been discussed in this thread. The Montana HC 376FL has the front living with 2 sleeper sofas. Is there a 376RL?
Old 02-06-2022, 04:35 PM   #20
dmodlin

M.O.C. #25258
Welcome and congrats on your 295 rl. We have a 2019 and enjoyed every minute in ours. No problem with the pull. Rides like a cloud. Enjoy!
dmodlin is offline   Reply With Quote