Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
Art
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5316
Corroded Brake Line

While traveling on our annual two-week vacation, we were leaving Newburgh, NY and heading towards Sturbridge Mass. Coming up to a stop sign at the bottom of a long grade, my brake pedal went to the floor. Luckily, the Montana brakes were able to stop us. In two minutes, we would have been on I-84 going 60 mph with results that I don't want to think about.
My GMC dually is only 6 years old and has 33,000 miles on it. Supposely, the medal brake lines have a tendency to corrode directly (under the driver's seat)on the frame. The rest of the lines look new.
I just wanted to post this so fellow Montana pullers take a little special "LOOK" under and have them checked.

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have a 2002 GMC. Good thing to check.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Very good point, I just reworked mine this spring as all the places that the brake lines were supported by plastic stand-off looked bad. I ran the new poly coated lines. I noted this questionable appearance when replacing my fuel filter.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #4
kilch123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9104
Yep - Dodge has the same problem - mine was found when the 5th wheel hitch was being installed - line was so rusty, that they couldn't move it to drill for the mount. Tough to replace too - I had to remove the fuel tank to gain access to the frame rail to get the old one out and a new one in...
kilch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
kilch123, when I replaced mine...I disconnected at each end, popped it out of the clips, with some frustration pulled it out as a one piece retaining the bends so I could purchase the proper length and recreate a replacement with all the same bends...actually quite proud of my work which is buried where no one else can marvel over my craftsmanship...as you mention mine also disappeared behind the gas tank but was able to fish it through and make the end connection...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote