Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-07-2008, 05:06 AM   #1
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Local Programming

I contacted DirecTV about receiving local programming in different locations as we travel. This is the message I sent followed by their answer.

Hello,
I have been told that I could merely call DirecTV and tell them that
we are now located at zip code ##### and would like the local programs.

I think that it would be a great service by DirecTV if I could call in and say, "I'm now located in such and such a zip code and would like the programming for my local channels to be changed to this zip code. In our case, our Livingston, TX address is merely a place we can call a legal residence for voting purposes, but it is primarily a place where our mail can be gathered together and sent to us wherever we are in the U.S.

I understand how Nielsen controls this. But I don't understand how they can tell you that you can't give local programming to a customer who travels. Could you please clarify?

Thank You,
Orville Schinke

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Question about programming [Reference #: 081004-001605]

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Rachel V ID 400806) - 10/07/2008 04:27 AM
Dear Mr. Schinke,

Thanks for writing. I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you've experienced. I see you're a long time customer to DIRECTV and we appreciate your loyalty to DIRECTV. I'll be happy to address your concern.

DIRECTV requires that you have a physical address on file at all times. This address cannot be changed frequently. Because you're in an RV, you're allowed to receive the distant network stations (DNS) from New York and Los Angeles.

However, DIRECTV cannot change your address every time you change a location, as the physical address on file needs to be stationary and not constantly changing. Please know that if you'd like to receive locals from the market you're in, you may be able to obtain these from an off air antenna.

Depending on the location and the type of dish you're using, you may not even be able to receive all of the local stations where you're at. Some local stations are broadcast from different satellites and require certain equipment to receive these.

I hope that I've been able to address your concerns. If you have additional questions or concerns, please call us at 1-800-531-5000 and an agent will be able to assist you.

Thanks again for writing.

Sincerely,

Rachel V ID 400806
DIRECTV Customer Service

In view of their answer to me, I would like to know how some MOCers are legally receiving the local channels through DirecTV when they are in locations other than their normal address.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote