Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
So, what's in your back window?

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:55 PM   #2
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Where are you guys?

At one time time I was the view in your back window.

See ya at Shasta.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Grand Staircase-Escalante, UT

Dick, I remember that time, about scared the wife into infertility....which now that I think about it...was a pretty good deal!

We're looking forward to seeing you and Toni at the Rally....!!!
Old 04-15-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Robbie and Alice, that's another beautiful view! And I'd be pretty ticked off if I wasn't heading to Gooseneck State Park myself tomorrow! I really think you should plan a boondocking tour in Utah for all of us MOCers....wait a year or two though so we're back in Arizona!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
If you like to boondock, you can do it on the shore of Lake Powell north of Page, AZ.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:47 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Robbie, youre killing me.................Wish we were there.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:30 AM   #7
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Judy & Glen,

You are in for a real treat...take your time and take it all in.

Ozz,

Let's just nail the coffin closed!

Capitol Reef Utah.

C5RACER, Is that near Lone Rock Road? Haven't been there, yet, but we'll head that way soon. Thank your for the tip!
Old 04-16-2007, 08:33 AM   #8
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
I think it is at the end of Lone Rock Road, here's another picture showing Lone Rock and the campers to the right.

And here's what is out our back window.

Here's what I look at when I'm on the puter.

Utah has some nice scenery, that's why we moved here 2 years ago after living South of Seattle for almost 30 years. DW says we traded 300 days of rain for 300 days of sunshine.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:11 PM   #9
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Just beautiful...I'd love to have a view like that...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:14 PM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Looks like I'm getting some pressure to put on a boondocking rally in this country. Not a bad idea, but I need to attend a couple of more rallies so I know what is expected.

C5RACER...you got the home, and the view...lucky you!

Ozzie,
You too can be here...
Old 04-17-2007, 12:19 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Lake Powell is one of my most favorite places on earth!!! Right now, I have the Spokane River and the Columbia River out my back window...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:30 AM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I'll volunteer to help, Robbie, but we may not be back in the west for a couple of years, maybe on our way to Alaska. Oh, boy, that opens up a whole new discussion. I don't think a boondocking rally would have to be like an official rally. Maybe we could refer to it as a Gathering.

We loved Gooseneck State Park. We must have been in almost the exact same spot as you and Alice. There was more activity but it was so wonderful at night. I never knew the sky was full of so many stars. Thanks for alerting us to this great spot.

Did you guys drive up the cliffs? We did that this morning before we left and met an 18 wheeler with a load of hay bales! Needless to say, we gave him the right of way! I'll have some pictures in my Blogspot soon. What a thrill!
Old 04-18-2007, 12:03 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Just made reservations for Lake Powell end of July. No boondocking for this guy though - too hot without AC. We'll have full hookups at Bullfrog, and a slip for the boat.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:49 PM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Brad,
I am 100% envious of your upcoming July trip to Powell! Be sure to have some fun for me as well...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:34 AM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Judy, I think a gathering would work too. We are headed to Alaska next summer, (Alice's 40th year HS reunion). So, we still have time to figure out the perfect spot. We will be in Utah every year sometime during the year. Lots of time.

Montana Sky, how about a picture?...would love to see those two rivers. My son goes to school at WSU, so might be in your area sometime next year.

Brad, I've been going to Lake Powell and the Utah Canyonlands since I was a senior in high school in Aspen. Our senior sneak trip was to Arches, I've been hooked ever since...and you thought you were the only native! Yeah, you'll need the air conditioner in July...we'll be in Washington then, and will pity all of you heat-stroke victims.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:20 AM   #16
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Robbie, we're still in Moab and loving it! There's so much activity. This weekend is the Car Show. Old cars in perfect condition are parked all over town. I doubt that there's an RV site available anywhere. The arches are beautiful. We even made it to Delicate Arch.....took us three days to recover, but we made it!
Old 04-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #17
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Judy,

Wish I had a pretty back window picture to share with you, but we're in a RV Park in Bullhead City, AZ. There’s a biker convention here, we just happened to be staying at our ‘home park’ here and were unaware of this happening. It’s also 101 degrees in the shade…..guess you know why I’m next to the computer #61514;

It is a good hike to get to Delicate Arch, but worth the journey. You might want to try the Devil’s Garden that is at the end of the road by the campground, nice (easier) hike and many beautiful arches. You can make it a long or short hike, easily.

While in Moab, make sure you go see Deadhorse State Park, just North of Moab a few miles, and then you have easy access to the North entrance to the Canyonlands….another real pretty place. Also, check out Hwy 128, North of Moab, and before Arches. Hwy 128 goes up the Colorado River to Cisco (near I-70), but several miles before then there is a turnoff at La Salle Mountain Loop Road…a very pretty drive. There are several options, you can go over the La Salles there, or you can take a chicken road back to Moab, or you can turn around and go back the way you came…all are very beautiful.

We spent time in Capital Reef National Monument about a week ago, that is beauty we’ll never forget. There’s a nice campground there for $10 a day (no hookups) at Fruita. Fruita is a great place for easy access to the “scenic” road in the park. We just recently spent 8 days dry camping in The Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument….if you get there, make sure you go see the slot canyons of Peek-a-Boo and Spooky and Brimstone which are all off the Hole in the Rock road about 25 miles. The hike down is pretty easy, coming back up takes more time, but well worth the excursion.

If you need more sites to see, let me know your location…I’m pretty sure I can keep you on the beaten path, and satisfied with the scenery.

Glad to hear you are enjoying God’s country!

Hi Glen!

Old 04-27-2007, 02:19 PM   #18
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
You can hardly go wrong with the scenery in SE Utah. It's an amazing place.

We've gone to Delicate Arch, and part of Arches, drove to Dead Horse State Park and Canyonlands. The drive through Schaeffer Canyon looks like fun. We drove up 128 which is a beautiful place. And......we tried the La Salle Mt. loop road. The valley was beautiful and the new snow in the mountains added to the scenery. The 8" of new, wet snow on the road as we got to the higher elevations wasn't so welcome. It was especially bad when we lost traction and Glen had to back down 1/2 of a mile so we could get a place to turn around. Funny thing, we noticed tracks from another vehicle that had also turned around there. If I'm going to be on roads that are frozen and slippery, I'd just as soon have guardrails along the road. It was our scariest moment. White knuckles!
Old 04-27-2007, 04:54 PM   #19
mtkrumm
Established Member

M.O.C. #6641
We live in an FL and dont have a back window, but starting Monday night we will be watching the sun set over the pacific ocean from Coronado island for 3 weeks. I might like the life of a beach bum. Corona anyone? steve
mtkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 05:46 PM   #20
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
You'll love it there, Steve. We picked up over 100 sand dollars on that beach and loved to watch the parasailers on the beach. It's a beautiful place.