Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2020, 01:42 PM   #1
ChaseTX
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26041
Power Back Feed

I ran into an issue yesterday, I hitched up then plugged in trailer connector then the brake lights came on on my truck like I was hitting the brakes. I thought that is weird, then my brake controller started operating without hitting the brakes. First before that happened I unplugged my connection then back in and it went away. So I thought it was just an electrical fluke.....wrong I plugged back in started to drive off and my trailer brake started to engage by itself fluctuating between 5 and 20 percent. I pulled over and rechecked my electrical. Master switch off check, then I went ahead and manually turned my main breakers off next to the batteries. I did the 80 amp breaker upgrade. As soon as I did that everything went back to normal. Anyone have any ideas over this. By the way, this is the set up I have:
2015 Montana Mountaineer 310RET
2003 Ram 3500

Previous Eagle Cap 850, Elkhorn 8.5, Alfa Gold 38RLT
ChaseTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:59 PM   #2
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
Interersting,
Somehow the pickup is getting energized via the electrical brake signal line.

Since you recently were into the 110volt electrical side. Any chance the onboard inverter is lighting up the coaches inverter which is energizing the 12volt side in an odd manner? I'm thinking about the inverter for the fridge? (assuming you have the residential fridge option)

Otherwise, I'd test the 7 pin on the front of the trailer and see what you need todo to get power on the brake signal line. My guess is that somehow you are getting power through that route.
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 05:56 PM   #3
CFDFireman90
Established Member

M.O.C. #24965
Sounds to me like a bad ground issue. Seen the same type of behavior with a bad ground. Problem is it could be on the trailer side or on the plug side on the truck.
CFDFireman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:53 PM   #4
ChaseTX
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26041
I actually have the 3 way fridge, but I was thinking today about the ground that might be the issue. I will check the 7 way tomorrow and the ground. Thanks for the advice, I will let yal know
Old 06-15-2020, 07:30 PM   #5
Sdgood1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23720
After having a 7 way put in bed, plugged in and running lites came on? One piece of wire missed lug and touched hot! Short somewhere is my guess

Steven & Denise
New to us 2014 3150RL
Chino Valley, AZ
Sdgood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:30 AM   #6
ChaseTX
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26041
I know it's been a while since I posted this, but i would like to let you all know what happen. So come to find out, the wiring on the truck side had melted and crossed on the main 12V constant. I had to replace my rear wiring harness of the truck. After completed everything worked as it should. Pretty crazy
Previous Eagle Cap 850, Elkhorn 8.5, Alfa Gold 38RLT