Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Gawd!! I never thought about this

Here is info worth the price of your car....WHAT WILL the car
A friend sent this to me. Thought I would pass it along for those (like me) who never thought about this.

> >
> >
> >

> > The car thieves peer through the windshield of yo ur car or

> >
> > truck, write down the VIN # from the label on the
dash, go to the local
> car
> >
> > dealership and
request a duplicate key based on the VIN #. I didn't
> believe
>
>
> > This e-mail, so I called Chrysler-Dodge and pretended I had
lost my keys
> They
> >
> > told me to just bring in
the VIN #, and they would cut me one on the spot,
> and
> > I
could
> >
> > order the keyless device if I wanted.
>
>
> >
> >
> > The Car Dealer's Parts Department
will make a duplicate key
> >
> > from the VIN #, and
collect payment from the thief who will return to your
>
> >

> > car. He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or
draw
> > attention to
> >
> > himself. All he has
to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off
> he
> >
goes
> >
> > to a local Chop Shop with your vehicle. You
don't believe it? It IS that
> > easy.
> >
> >

> >
> > To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some
tape
> >
> > (electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape)
across the VIN Metal Label
> >
> > located on the dash
board. By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you CAN
> > cover it so

> >
> > it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car
thief. I urge you to
> forward
> >
> > this to your
friends before some other car thief steals another car ,
I sure would never have thought of theives doing this! So I placed a piece of tan tape over mine just now , Tom

tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Wow...I'll be adding that ASAP...thanks for the warning!
Who'da thunk it
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
only a crook, Ozzie!!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #4
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
I guess I hate to learn to think like the bad guys! If we would all live the lives that God had intended us to live we would not have to think about junk like this. I guess I had better get the duck tape out.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:46 PM   #5
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
This is supposed to be an internet rumor, no one has known of this ever happening. Also it would be easier to just steal a car for the criminals. If you cover up your vin number it is against the law in some states.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Click Here For Information

Most information can be verified at www.snopes.com
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:34 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I cover mine with a small piece of paper. When I take it to the dealer for warranty work, repairs or oil changes I just remove the paper and put it up above my visor. As I head home, I take it down and slip it over the VIN# again! Have done that for years since I knew someone that had their car stolen because the bad guys got the vin# and took it to a dealer and got a duplicate key. The dealers are pretty careful anymore but if the crooks work it right they can get the key with not problem. Only catch is now with the remote alarms they don't have the remote to shut them off without going under the hood and disconnecting it.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:14 PM   #8
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
May just be an internet rumor, but not a bad thing to be aware of, and when I feel the law can protect my truck, then I will remove the tape! Until then, I paid for my truck with MY hard earned $$$$ (not the law) Its my truck, and I feel its my place to take the best care of it that I can.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:55 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Don't get SNOPES wrong. In the very last of the information piece they said it was done by VIN# a few times. So to me, that means it was done and will most likely be done again. On my King Ranch, they have to get by the Viper Security System. The key will open the door, but the Viper goes into alert and disables the vehicle. Yes, the key in the ignition will enable it, but my remote will be sounding in my pocket and I'll be calling the police. Give them the license number and hope they find it rolling down the highway and give chase.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #10
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Well, guys I only put the "internet rumor" on here in case someone wanted to know about this. As you know most everything on the internet could be classified as a "internet rumor" I dont have a viper, but I do have Smith & Wesson, LOL, but only thing its to big to carry in my pocket. But I'll be sure and not put any more internet rumors on here with some ppls' approval! LMAOO!
Old 01-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #11
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Well I can easily see this happening...rumor or not. And I'll bet a few of the law enforcement types could tell a few stories too...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #12
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Just a note from GM recently to all dealers. proof of ownership must be made prior to cutting any new keys for GM vehickles. At the dealership I work p/t, the dept manager told all counter personel not to make any keys unless ownership is proven, this even includes Yugos (if any of those are still on the road) !
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:49 PM   #13
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Tom, You didn't start or post any internet rumor. This is a true happening and is being used all over the US by car thieves to get out vehicles! My nephew, who is a deputy sheriff here in Nebraska even told me about this several months ago and that is why I have covered up my vin# on my TV. I use it for local transportation here and I don't need any gang banger using my truck to make a joy run and have it possibly end up here in the Missouri River! That's where most end up when they are done with them or they are wrapped around a power pole somewhere. I figure if they want it they are going to have to break the window or pop a lock to get it! Then if they do, I've got the lock setup on mine so even if they jump start it, if they step on the brake at all, it kills and won't start again!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:21 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yep, I have been covering mine for years, I have a pc. of Black vinyl I use.
I figure it is insurance.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:52 PM   #15
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
It may be something going around the internet but doesn't happen often. Has happened but is not likely to happen.
I got my information from "Snopes"
I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes here. I just stated what I thought.

Everyone should take care that their rig is not taken. A kill switch works well.
Get a small GPS unit and place it in a place where no one can see it. They are about the size of a flashlight or smaller. Will locate your rig if it is stolen. Good idea to have one in the 5th wheel too.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:17 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Snopes is a good source of checking things out as is truth or fiction .com . The VIN thing has been around for some time and every so often makes the rounds on the internet. It is entirely true but not as easy as it is made out to be.A reputable dealer will not make a copy unless
proof of ownership can be verified. Was at a Ford dealership for routine maint a couple of days ago and the parts dept guy said that it has been the rule for many years that proof of ownership must be presented . Of course there is always the unscrupulous dealer..

(From Truth or Fiction.com)

Your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Can be Used by Thieves to Have a Key Made to Your Car-Truth! & Fiction!

Summary of the eRumor
The eRumor warns that thieves can peer into your car, write down the Vehicle Identification Number, or VIN, take the number to a car dealer, have a new key made, and steal your car. The email recommends covering up your Vehicle Identification Number so it can't be seen.

The Truth
It is true that Vehicle Identification Numbers can be used to generate a new key for many cars. According to law enforcement sources, however, a person cannot simply walk into a dealership and have a key made. Responsible dealerships require proof of ownership and some states have laws that require it. Also, the Vehicle Identification Number is required to be visible. That's why it is located in a place where it can be easily seen such as on top of a dashboard. While there are some thieves who may use VIN's to have keys illegally made, the use of Vehicle Identification Numbers for locating and recovering stolen cars has been far more valuable than hiding the vin
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:50 AM   #17
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Dodge Dealer here, where we buy our trucks has to have more than one piece of proof of ownership, they also check their computers. They know us so not a problem for us, if we should lose our keys.

Snopes link

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/vin.asp
Old 01-26-2008, 01:46 PM   #18
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Gotta jump in here and tell you that intentionally covering the vin plate with anything that appears semi permanent is illegal.....the proof will arrive in the middle of the night sometime as the local police officer in his rounds has reason to be snooping for whatever reason...when he cant confirm the licence plate to the vehicle VIN he is likely to come calling...If the possiblity of theft by illict key bothers you then simply slide a brochure (or anything that a person normally looks at in the truck) into that area and leave it...
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:13 PM   #19
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
dang fellows, theres not anything bothering me!! lol, heck, I've lived over 66 years without being bothered or scared. I only posted the darn thing because a friend sent it to me, thought I might be helping out here. But I can tell you one thing..I just hope no one comes snooping around my truck in the middle of the night, without reason, or without knocking on my door first. lightening could strike. lol, heard of an old gunfighter once , his S&W was named lightening. ok nuff said on this post, I'm thru with this one! LOL ya'll carry on!
Old 01-27-2008, 02:14 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Snopes says more, including that the potential for this is way overblown. It is interesting reading.
http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/vin.asp

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote