Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Ford Voids Warranty w/Banks System

For the first time in over 40k miles and service work, I was informed that Ford engine work for a coolant leak (EGR and injector replacement) would not be covered by warranty due to my Banks system. I was told by service dept. that Ford is "getting tough" on upgrades?!! Not a happy camper.

capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:47 AM   #2
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Iam not suprised at all with this, they have been warning for a long time. I am suprised it has not happened sooner.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:48 AM   #3
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
I think Ford is getting tough because of all the losses they're taking in warranty work on Power Stroke Diesels. Was reading that their decision to change powerplants in their F250 was because of excessive warranty failures, so there's likely a service bulleting out to avoid as much warranty work as possible. Just my 2 cents worth...
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Our local Ford dealer has a sign in the service department that says in part "we know what you are doing, and even after the equipment is removed, the information is still stored in the computer". Ford is getting tough, and Chevy and Dodge will probably be right behind them.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:01 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
GM has been saying the same thing for some time now; "ANY" modifications to the motor or tranny will result in voided warranty...

Chris,
I am sorry you had to be the guy that Ford finally put their foot down on. I hope you can get your truck up and running real soon...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Around here, Ford put their foot down about 3 years ago. They voided the automatic transmission warranty on any vehicle that had been useing a " Power Chip ", but they still stood behind the engine.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:19 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
That's interesting! Ford didn't void my warranty when I had my Banks Power Pack installed. In fact they remarked, "Looks like you had this done at Gale Banks Engineering in Azusa, CA." I had to agree, that's where I had it done.

Before I had it done, I checked with FOMOCO, citing a letter from Ford to Banks stating that their (Banks) systems would not void their (Ford) new vehicle warranties. I looked for my material but I don't have it with me. I think I stored it at one of my boy's homes.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
YES! This is something I have been preaching ever since I bought my first diesel but everytime I opened my mouth I got shot down by the naysayers and now I don't mind one bit telling the naysayers "I told you so!" My Chevy dealer warned me when I first asked the question back in '03.

Chris, I am sorry it happened to a fellow MOCer but it was just a matter of time. Hopefully the others will take a hint and remove these modifications before it is too late. Bite the bullet and take the loss of the mods before an engine or tranny breaks costing many many more bucks.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:26 PM   #9
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I used to work at a automotive shop in the 90s as a part-time job, and there were a few customers that would stop by prior to going to the dealer to have "after market" performance parts removed before they went in for rountine service etc. Probably back then the computers didn't show that the part had been installed. They would stop back through to have the chips etc installed when they left the dealer. I haven't installed any modifying equipment on my Ford...and won't until the warranty runs out. It's too bad that happen to you, and the bad thing is they put that info in a national computer that all dealers pull up...so you can't go elsewhere. Its unfortunate.
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #10
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Can't speak for you Ford or Dodge guys, but the D/A certainly needs no help to do what I got it to do.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #11
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Now Bert, don't start with that Chevy vs.Ford and Dodge stuff. You are sooooooooooooooooo BAD!!!!!!!!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:45 PM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I had no problem with any warranty service from Ford and my Banks Stinger pluss, the only thing was I had to remove the chip and trans command before I took it in for service.
As for the computer that can be erased very easy just disconect all your batteries and let sit for a couple of hours the computer will be blank as far as an audit on the system, the computer reverts back to it's original factory settings, you might want to do a lot of hard driving on the way to the dealer, so something will regester on the audit, on the now stock computer, if anything is wrong it will pickit up and log it. a good friend told me this.
TT2
Old 02-07-2007, 02:45 PM   #13
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Jo-Anna

Now Bert, don't start with that Chevy vs.Ford and Dodge stuff. You are sooooooooooooooooo BAD!!!!!!!!!
Didn't meant to upset you, David..., how's this (which is what I meant):

"Any new diesel certainly needs no help to do what I got mine to do."
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:48 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gee, Bert, if you look back through MOC you'll see a much higher percentage of GM'ers felt the need to chip for more power! Regardless, I'm in the camp of no modifications until the warranty runs out. If even then. Definitely have plenty of power from this Ford.

By the way, on the post about Ford changing engines because of 6.0 warranty problems... Per a retired Ford diesel (cooling system) engineer friend, warranty costs is definitely one factor but the primary reason is the new emissions standards. Far too much cost to modify the 6.0 to meet the new standards. And why would they spend that much money on an engine that has had more than a normal share of problems and has a not so good reputation? Mine is a good one, thankfully.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:31 AM   #15
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I think I heard somewhere that you can't erase the computers clear of chip modifications in the newer Fords by disconnecting the battery. My truck runs and pulls great without them and certainly too good to chance losing my warranty.Ford almost refused to fix my tranny because the previos owner had a chip that he had removed before trading it in at the same dealership where I bought it and had it serviced. They made me buy a new computer for the truck before replacing the trans. but they did split the computer cost with me.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:11 AM   #16
jrlepin
Established Member

M.O.C. #5916
Interesting. The local Ford dealer installed a power chip in my
truck when I bought it, as well as an exhaust break.

Jim
jrlepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:43 AM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Jim,

Keep your paperwork that proves your Ford shop installed those for you. When the time comes for warranty claims if your dealership installed any parts on your truck as part of the purchase agreement when the truck was new, and Ford denies the claim, your dealer will be stuck footing the bill for that. Have seen it happen twice now with a customer of mine back when I worked in the grocery business. He had the shop install the Banks power package(?) and exhaust brake before he took delivery on it. Had a tranny fail and a blown turbo, the shop got stuck with paying for both as Ford denied the claim due to the exhaust brake and Banks package.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:27 PM   #18
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
There’s a great ford dealer in western Washington that sells all of the chip’s and will also do a free five hour download of I think “Bully Dog” after five hour running time the on board computer will revert back to the factory settings.
I’m at a loss? They have to prove that any upgrade that is done to any vehicle caused the damage to the vehicle, if you can prove that the oil was changed when due you are not required to have a dealer do the oil changes!!!
Why would my having any upgrade that shows what the transmission, or exhaust gas temperatures are, be reason to try and void the warranty?
I for one would not set back and allow them too void my warranty without having my lawyer have a long, very long talk with the factory and the dealer.
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:15 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
05 Ford F-350..Warranty guide, Page 8.."Damage caused by alteration or modification" Also review pages 7-9 and page 15..Just a thought..what your dealer does ..your dealer does..the dealer sells Fords..he is not FOMOCO.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:33 PM   #20
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Rich, It would seem the operative phrase here is "Damage Caused by". Seems one could require FOMOCO to PROVE that whatever modification caused the damage. Of course, FOMOCO probably has more money (i.e. more lawyers), than most of us. So by the time you got a ruling the truck probably needs replacing anyway. I considered the Banks system for my Chevy but my brother in law talked me out of it. His reasoning was that "If your truck is not enough truck to do the job, then get another truck". I had to agree with him. I can see the power mods on an older truck but it seems the newer ones should be plenty well up to the task.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote