Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2017, 11:10 AM   #1
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Rear ladder replacement.

Had a slight problem and need to replace the rear ladder.

After much research, found a ladder on line. In my research, I found that the Keystone ladder supplier is Christianson Industries in Michigan. On the rear ladder is a small label with Keystone, KSO xxxx, a date and weight limit.

In the Keystone/Montana parts computer screen are pictures of ladders with the Christianson part number as part of the identification.

After sorting out I needed a #378781 Keystone number got pricing.

Treckwood RV Parts, a online parts supplier, when you contact them you end up @ Tiara RV parts department. OK, they had one in stock/available, (I have been in Tiara's dealership and they stock nothing) Tiara's price $381.34 plus $200-250 shipping.

Went to my local Montana Dealer, they confirmed the part number, their price $155 plus tax and freight around $100.

I'll deal with installation once I get the ladder.

So the moral to the story, check with a dealer before you think they will be the highest.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:08 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We also had a problem with our ladder last year. We ordered from our dealer and the price was about the same. Installation was easy.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:17 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I like checking with the dealer usually to confirm that when I purchase the same item elsewhere, it will be cheaper, but every so often, the prices are close or the same. I just pick whatever is cheaper with the price AND shipping. I can't tell you how many times I found a good price for something, but the shipping price made me look elsewhere.

I recently repaired my ladder, which hangs down lower than the backend of my rig. I bent the bottom part driving through a low point in the road enough to cause it to break off at the first support (I'll never do that again). Fortunately I was able to purchase a metal pipe-like insert to rebuild the bottom of the ladder. I shored it up with some extra nuts and bolts and I have confidence the ladder is stronger at that point than before. However, my ladder is rated for 250 lbs and I would still honor that weight rating. Fortunately, I weigh 165 lbs with clothing and that leaves 85 lbs for whatever else I'm carrying if I needed to get on my roof and I don't think there's anything weighing that much if that ever came up. I would make several trips up if necessary. (One of these days I might need to haul a 2nd A/C up onto the roof, but I don't think they weigh upwards of 85 lbs, or do they? The tools and other stuff would go up on a second trip.)

Good job on the research jlb27537. You're gonna probably need a ladder to install your replacement ladder... heh-heh.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:38 AM   #4
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
If you can climb latter with A/C in hand I wouldn't mess with you. Find a tree limb you can back under. With rope pull A/C up then back under. Worked for me.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:09 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
What little I have looked at Trekwood.com, their prices have seemed to be much higher than other sources. So I rarely look there any more.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #6
lostshakerofsalt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10012
If you are handy with a screw driver and the existing ladder is repairable here is a source for parts:

http://www.factoryrvsurplus.com/cate...ategory_id=155
Home is where we park it
lostshakerofsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:15 PM   #7
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Steve, yes handy, problem it is broke at a bend in the pipe area. Broke in a straight area, not a issue.

3 screws in each pad, 8 pads, 24 screws, so not a big deal to replace.

Just a heads up on the part number on the ladder to confirm what you need.

Considered trying to fix it, but easier to write a check than try and save a few $$.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:21 PM   #8
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Smile

Hold the phone on that costly ladder replacement. Last summer we had that same problem traveling through Canada and posted how to fix the broken ladder. There is a "U" section at the bottom that sips into the main ladder section. Unscrew the last ladder rung and the two (2) through bolts above it. Now pull the "U" section down and off the main ladder section. Notice the 6" extension at both ends. This a one continuous inner piece that was pressed through to give the 6" extension (may have broken off) at both ends. If the inner sleeve broke in the main ladder section, you can pull those pieces out and throw them away. Hacksaw the two ends and measure down 6" at both ends (BEING EQUAL) then use a TUBE-CUTTER to carefully cut the outer sleeve making sure you DO NOT cut through the inner sleeve. Now slip the outer sleeve off and you can reinsert the new 6" ends into the main ladder ends. Drill a pilot hole at the ladder rung and drill a hole for the through bolts. Now after replacing the ladder rung screw and the through bolts, you should be ready to go. If you have any questions or need phone help, please call me at 360-581-0534. There are some star-nut inserts that you may need to purchased if it came loose from the trailer. It sounds complicated but it is really an easy fix. Happy trails.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #9
Woodturner
Established Member

M.O.C. #19601
I just finished repairs on my ladder, my bottom step was broken off when we bought the trailer. First I checked with my dealer his price was $180.00 for the ladder plus $185.00 for shipping. What I did was got a piece of 1" emt conduit then cut two pieces 24" long and one piece long enough to space the two 24" pieces to 11 1/2" centers. I then took the three pieces to a muffler shop where they welded the pieces together. The holes on the bottom aluminum step had to be enlarged enough to slide over the conduit. With that done I slipped the conduits over the ladder uprights and replaced the screws. Total cost $35.00 my ladder now has a bottom step that I am quite sure is stronger than the factory.
Woodturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 04:49 PM   #10
Homester

M.O.C. #29640
Hi Jim,
Can you please let me know who is your dealers name?
I’m trying to find ladder for my 2013 Big Sky.
Can you help?
Steve D.
Homester is offline   Reply With Quote