Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2019, 07:02 AM   #41
fulltilt
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16056
Hi bw2
I’m sure not an expert, but Dicor does state that the adhesive must be water based or it will react to the EPDM membrane. They told me directly that being water based the flash off process [curing] works properly only because the chemicals are absorbed by the new substrate [new plywood]. The 901b/a adhesive will not join 2 pieces of EPDM together successfully. That being the case…what adhesive could a person use ?

fulltilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:36 PM   #42
fulltilt
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16056
Roof Membrane Replacement - AC

Hi Everyone
Today I completed installation of all the devices on the roof, including both AC’s & Sat Dish. I still have to reinstall the gutter extrusions which will then ty down the membrane along the sides & of course, then I have to apply “self-leveling caulking” along all seams & fasteners.
I decided to do some maintenance on both AC’s before I installed them. This included, chemically cleaning both evaporators & both condensers. On the 15K rear unit you can see evaporator plenum insulation which deteriorated & was picked up in the airstream & collected in a few areas of the condenser, along with cottonwood fluff, & lots of dirt ! Both units cleaned up well, I also replaced foam gasketing used to separate conditioned air from unconditioned air, I also reglued several foam gaskets which the glue had dried out & allowed the foam to fall to the bottom of the units, resulting in air bypass. I purchased the foam seal mounting kits from Camco & found that they have made improvements, in particular the foam blocks which maintain clearance between the compressor mounting bolts & the roof as I mentioned in my first couple of posts.
Tomorrow I will wire up the AC’s & a “fantastic fan” that I installed in the bathroom in place of the original skeleton motor unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8210070.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	4525   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8210069.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	4526   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8210073.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	4527   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8220081.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	4528  
Old 08-23-2019, 05:06 AM   #43
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Really looks good. Looks like an excellent job.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:33 AM   #44
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
WOW !!! You did a great job, dang I should hire you LOL
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:45 AM   #45
Flying Dutchman
Established Member

M.O.C. #25148
Thanks a lot for sharing these pictures. It looks amazing and gives me courage to try to tackle this myself. The dealer want $7,200 to do it for us. That’s a lot of loaves of bread.
Thanks again and happy travels.
Flying Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:52 AM   #46
fulltilt
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16056
Hi Flying Dutchmen
Yes I have finished the roof, but I haven't finished the trailer. I am personalizing it, I tore the bathroom out & it is almost done, I replumbed the whole trailer, creating a pex manifold for both hot & cold water with individual shut offs at the manifolds & I located those right beside the entry door to the bunker. I have a bunch of ideas that I hope to apply on most of the trailer systems, but haven't gotten back to the project as I am completing a restoration on a 67 Camaro for my brother in law, I hope that will be done by end of July ! Thank you for your interest Flying Dutchmen, stay well, stay safe out there !
Old 06-08-2020, 02:23 PM   #47
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Jim, the original thread from 2019, how did it turn out? what did you use as your membrane?
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:12 PM   #48
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
Jim, the original thread from 2019, how did it turn out? what did you use as your membrane?
I believe he used 40 mil dicor edpm. It was in an earlier thread. The first page. I'm glad looking forward that this was another brand and not his Montana, All the lack of insulation and workmanship issues, I'm not saying that our Montana's are any different model to model and the rush to get them out the door. He identified issues and took so many corrective measures and did a much better job than any dealer would of done.

Like the old addage says. If you want it done right. Do it yourself. Pride and achievements even though it may not be visible from the street. Confidence in knowing it was done right and mostly single-handedly is amazing, in and of itself.

I commend him for the job he did and so well documented. I admire his determination and his research and overall accomplishment. Back in the late 2000's we had a massive ice snow storm in October. I had many trees come down. One punctured the bedroom ceiling. Insurance covered this.

This was my second camper to have a branch penetrate the bedroom. Both covered by insurance. Each over 4K for replacement.
When the last incident happened. My dealer called and mentioned a plastic membrane in place of the dicor edpm. The benefits were it was more elastic and there would no longer be any black streaks.

Well I chose that plastic membrane in 2008 and 12 years later. I can not see any degradation and I still get some streaks due to New England winters and Oak trees and others unless I keep it clean. But it is a weekend warrior and still has not been on the road since putting on the Saluns, last September/October. Covid and all.

But If I ever have a opportunity to meet him. I will gladly offer him a beverage and have a very long conversation with him. His determination, research alone as well as a huge achievement; In and of itself. Not too many here (myself included) would have the drive and determination to accomplish this task.
If he Videoed it and Utubed it. I bet he would of had a million views by now.
Congrats and Thank you for being part of the forum.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:19 PM   #49
fulltilt
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16056
Hi uhftx
Thank you for your words of kindness, & taking the interest & time to say them. I viewed your public profile, & see that you are from Hudson New Hampshire...my wife & I in 2017, stayed in our Montana at the "Gateway to Cape Cod RV Park" Massachusetts for a week & travelled about the area, then to Maine for another week, we sure enjoyed our time there. Loads of memories for us !
The tall ships were in Boston & I stood on the deck of the Oriole for the first time in 50 years, since I crewed on her as a young man in the Juan de Fuca strait in the Pacific Northwest !
Thank you
Old 04-02-2021, 10:05 AM   #50
Jeff and Deb
Established Member

M.O.C. #23269
fulltilt - would you have any pics of the scaffolding you built? I am going to be replacing the roof on my unit this summer and have been trying to decide how to build a similar set-up to what you used.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 04-02-2021, 12:13 PM   #51
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
If ours ever needs a new roof it'll be this guy that does it:

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 01:24 PM   #52
fulltilt
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16056
roof replacement

This is all I have Jeff. Keep in mind, that when I built this thing, the scaffolding would be disassembled & used on a covered deck addition to our master bedroom in our home. The wood sizes were based on that premise. The verticals are 12’ high, 2x6, I built the first one, laid it flat on the concrete driveway, then assembled each one after on top, so they all would be the same. Everything is screwed together for disassembly. I tied the bottoms of the verticals to the verticals on the other side from under the trailer, then used triangular bracing to steady the top. I used cross bracing in between the uprights, once you have everything tied together, front to back, & side to side, the scaffolding is very steady. You will need to support your front cap, because you will be pulling it forward at the top only to get your EPDM under it. Nothing is required under the rear one, because you will want the EPDM on the outside top of the cap, opposite technically from the front. When I came around the front of the trailer, I added a couple of 12’ 2x4 verticals & a small platform off the hand rail, to set the two AC units there, as opposed to getting them down to the ground. Everything can be done with one pair of hands, until you unfold the membrane, then a second set will be needed for a few hours. The pictures show the slides out, I did it that way because we get a number of days with rain & I wanted to be able to work inside the unit at that time. I suppose it added additional planning to frame around the slides but the slides themselves can add some support length wise if you press your verticals against the sides of the slides with a rag or something to protect the finish. My slides were 12’ & 13’ long, so to protect the toppers, I slid 2x4’s as blocking under the toppers, then took a 28’ extension ladder I had, & separated the two pieces as the spanning platforms over the top, then laid the plywood down to walk on it. The rest of the walkway was 2x10’s which would become the floor joists for the bedroom deck. Good luck !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2946 - Copy.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	8789   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2945.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	8790   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2944 - Copy.JPG
Views:	24