Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2009, 03:34 AM   #41
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
As a side note to dual panes vs cold weather... While I believe the dual panes are relatively better than single panes regarding a thermal barrier, the main problem is the metal window frames that transmit "cold" (no such thing as "cold", only lack of heat energy) much worse than either single/dual glass. In cold weather, touch the frame. It transfers heat out of our Montanas at a high rate. Also as per discussions with Richfaa our walls are not the best at retaining heat, either.

A major benefit is the extra sound barrier dual pane provides. A noticeable difference in my opinion.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:22 AM   #42
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Here is my bottom line. I have had both single and dual pane fitted rigs. Of the two, I prefer the dual pane. If I purchase another unit some time in the future, it will have dual pane windows.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:08 AM   #43
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Do some testing. We did when it got into the 30's and 20's here in Florida and Helen said she was chilly while sitting on the couch in the 3400.. Put a thermometer on the inside wall of the slide or any inside wall for that matter. Check the temp on the floor of the slide in front of the couch. Check the temp on the slide wall over the bed. Inside temp set for 70 degrees..outside temp reading 33 Degrees. It will be interseting..... Reducing sound somewhat..OK.. even if they did work in temp reduction the walls and floors transmit cold and draft.. If dual pane windows are preferred that is fine,,If they are expected to be effective....wellllll....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:37 AM   #44
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Well I don't know about all the thermal stuff, but of the 5 5th wheels we have owned all had dual pane windows except two. As stiles said if and when we get another 5th wheel it will have dual pane windows. If nothing else I can assure the noise level is much less. We don't have a problem with window falling out and the new frameless window are the roll out type and are also dual pane. And with the frameless roll out windows they can be left open when its raining, unlike the the windows that raise up and down. I think if you ever own a 5th wheel without dual pane and then get one that has dual pane you will feel and hear the difference. The 5th wheel we had prior to this one had the single pane reflective type windows and I again like the dual pane dark tinted window so much more. Good Luck with your choice. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #45
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are two major supliers for RV dual pane windows..not to be confused with Thermo pane windows...two diffent things.. HEHR and Atwood windows.

It is hard to find the heat and sound spec's for the windows but they are there somewhere. Interesting reading..if at all interested. Aso kinro windows which is part of Drew Industries, which also owns Lippert, which is in Goshen and Elkhart, Ind. My best guess as the supplier.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #46
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
i think I mentioned this before somewhere but can't find the particular post, at the Fall Rally of 2008 the question of dual pane windows and Insulation factor was asked of Charles Wade, his response was that the dual panes add only a .1 R value factor to the windows. The reason they do dual pane is for sound insulation. He gets very upset with dealers who try to convince folks they get better insulation with the dual pane as that kind of advertising gets folks riled up at a later date when they discover they don't add anything.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #47
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

..... Aso kinro windows which is part of Drew Industries, which also owns Lippert, which is in Goshen and Elkhart, Ind. My best guess as the supplier.
Kinro shut down the Elkhart plant at the end of December, and moved to the Goshen facility. BTW, Dawn, who was the contact at the Elkhart plant for the "ozz mod" dual pane slider emergency exit bedroom window modification, is working in Goshen now.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:59 AM   #48
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ok..Then Kinro is the supplier for our windows. We have the single pane and they are stamped KTG. Was not sure about the dual pane.Still have not foud the spec's for the dual pane windows. The only information we have is that which came from Keystone folks like Charles Wade Mentioned above and others. We would have ordered them for the sound deadening but at the time we ordered ours here was a question about weight that turned out to be false.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:21 AM   #49
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Having owned one Montana without and now one with the dual pane windows, I can say the one with them has much more sound deadening from out side noise and they have never sweated on the inside. When sitting on the couch you don,t feel the cold. Now as for energy to heat or cool the unit I don,t see any difference. I think most of the heat goes out through the bottom of the slides. When you walk on the main floor it is not to bad but when you step on the floor of any slide it is very cold.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote