Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Water Pressure

I am building an external in-line water filer for the Monty. We are going to be camping at a CG that a lot of pressure in there fresh water hook up, I am going to use a pressure limiter but also wanted to put a pressure gauge also in-line to make sure no damage to the system. What is a desirable fresh water pressure for the Montana, and what is considered "too high"

Thanks

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I could be wrong, but I think it is about 45 psi. Are you going to filter after you regulate or before? The reason I ask is that water going through the filter will be further restricted. I am also wanting to design a system to filter without further restricting flow after pressure regulation.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
No way to verify this but my dealer told me the unit is tested to 80 PSI. I would think 60 or lower should work.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We run ours at 80 psi with no problems. Most CGs don't have that high pressure. A knowledgeable technician told me that the units are tested above 120 psi, that's why when they tell us to use regulators at 40 psi, there won't be any pressure leaks. In days of yore, when the campers were just that, campers, it was most desirable that you keep pressure at 40 psi or less. That's why there are so many 40 psi regulators on the market and why I changed to an adjustable one.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:40 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Orv is correct the units are tested at 120 psi. I have my regulator set at 60 and find that to be a good pressure. The inline regs you buy for RVs are set at 45 and that's not enough in my book. Also, unless you spend the money for the inline regulator w/gage, you have no way of knowing if those regs are working or not.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:27 AM   #6
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Glenn, Where did you get your adjustable regulator?
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:06 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the regulator with the guage and insert it AFTER any filter. We also keep it at 60PSI..That is after removing all the restrictors in the camper. Did a lot of Fooling around to come up with that setting. True the camper lines are tested for 120PSI.. been told that many times by folks at the factory...however many of the clamps that hold the lines on will not hold them on at about 40PSI. Had a couple of blowouts and all were caused by loose or not properly installed clamps. Would suggest you check out the clamps particularly the ones behing the docking station (if you have one) and around the water pump area.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The lines on ours are all marked for 120 to something like 180 depending on temperature or whatever. I also use an adjustable regulator. CW has one for $40. It's in the water line section and is usually in a small cardboard box and is nearly unlabeled. Easy to miss.

But the one I'm using now is from Lowe's or Home Depot, from the lawn watering section. They have water line connections so you have to get the adapters to make them fit water hoses. Those are also available in the same stores.

In our 2003 3295RK with the Thetford toilet I could set it at 57 psi and everything was fine. At 58 the toilet would shoot flush water out the top. In this 2007 3400RL with the SeaLand toilet I have it set at 60 psi and all the flush water stays in the toilet. Not all parks have that much pressure but many do including the one we're in now.

My regulator does not have a gauge so I use a separate gauge attached to the water fitting on the Montana, in the hookup center. It could be mounted anywhere after the regulator, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:03 AM   #9
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Where we live now I have a gauge on the line, the pressure is 40-45 PSI not bad but need more, I talked to the owner and they said the pump they use is set at 50 PSI on and 60 PSI off well I guess Iam on the wrong end of the line I get 40-45 when I put my in line filter on I loose volume making it worse..Is there a filter that you can buy with little to no loss of volume?
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote