Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Workamping
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2010, 02:30 AM   #1
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Curious

I have been giving thought, as we plan the next year or two, to doing some workampng. I went over and joined workamp....wow, I guess I never realized what was out there ! But over here, I don't see much conversation about workamping. So, with a little time on my hands I figured I'd pose the question(s)....curious if any here do workamping and what your thoughts are. I *know* I'm going to do some volunteer work thru places like habitat at some point, but some of the gigs out there look pretty interesting.

Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:21 AM   #2
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
We have been Workcamping all along, since 07. Most of the jobs we have had, were really interesting. We worked at a private owned gated community in olympia Wash, N.Rim Grand Canyon, Big Bend Nat Park, Bowlin's Travel Center, and the 2010 season will see us back up at the N. Rim Grand Canyon. We do however take a few weeks off between jobs. This time two Months helps to get plenty of rest between jobs. The only down side is now most of the employers are not paying much, just enough to cover your site and a stipent. When you contact the employer be sure to get them to send a contract so you have something in writing as to what they promised, some times you drive and tow, hundreds of miles and find they don't give you what they promised. When we first started this jobs were everywhere, not so much now. Still we have not been without work for long between. Some times you are very far from shopping it's important to check how close walmarts,Frys, Home Depot, Lowe's ETC. We have been 122 miles one way from a Walmart, thats at least half a day to get foods. Any thing else you may need just ask. hope this helps.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
Rubber Tramps
Established Member

M.O.C. #9416
We've been workamping for over 3 years now and have really bought into the whole concept. We worked National Forest campgrounds, RV resorts, private campgrounds, and KOA's. We've also managed a Christmas tree lot 2 years. Took this winter off and did nothing. We are now working at a KOA for the summer and have a winter KOA job lined up in NM. For the first time this winter, we will work for site only (total 20 hours a week between the 2 of us). This is by choice as we don't want to put in a lot of hours. Workamper web site is a great resource for info and job listings, as well as the KOA workamper site.
Rubber Tramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:37 AM   #4
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Thanks for the replies. We've both seen most of the country, and been on some great "adventures"...never in the monty tho'. We want to travel...some. We are both still pretty young too, so we have a lot of years to travel left. I know workamping restricts your travels, but we weren't looking into it for "fulltime". I know that if I park the monty say, in florida, for 4 months I'll go stircrazy...I gotta be doing something. Given my background, once I get thru this series of surgeries I'm optimistic I'll be back to close to 100%, which brings all my carpentry, electrical, plumbing, etc. skills into play. I intend to travel with my tools anyway, so hey...if I can offset a couple grand by doing part time work it's certainly something to consider. We'd be also looking at about 20 hrs a week, which really isn't much and might just keep me from pacing a path thru the monty carpet !

When we decide what our plan of attack is, we'll probably set up a resume on workamper's site and see what happens. We won't be doing it for the money anyway...more to keep my wife sane from dealing with me 24/7 !
Bill
Old 04-25-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
MsDewey
Established Member

M.O.C. #9693
We have work camped for 2 fall seasons at our favorite state park, Skidaway Island State Park in Savannah, GA, and plan to go back again this fall. They require 24 hours a week per couple in exchange for the site, cable and free laundry. We enjoy feeling a part of the campground and feeling we are contributing something to the park. GA State Park website is very good, telling you of the opportunities and for what months they are available. They usually like a 3 month commitment. We also work camped at a KOA last summer, which I enjoyed more than my husband did. Each campground is different. We only committed ourselves to a campground we had been to before, but others we know have had good experiences going to a new place.
MsDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:35 AM   #6
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
this is sort of our first workamper experience. we failed terribly in finding out what we were going to do and what the actual hours would be.
here are a couple of things to discuss/ask and then get in writing.
1. how hard will the work be? (they said i'd be cutting grass and driving people and attending activities----didn't mention that is is hard work and the "activities" i am required to attend are NOT considered WORKING time.
2. have the job put into hourly wages! (we get a stiptend and no limit of hours of required work!)
3. Get it in writing what your job will actually be.
4. Ask/get it in writing what the weekly hours will be.

remember that tips are part of your wages...NOT a bonus, legally tips are your's. and regardless of what people say there is a federal wage/overtime law.
well, these are some of the things i failed to discuss...oh well, we're here and we are trying to hang in here....
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:03 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Bill. Helen workamps at Disney in Florida in the winter.We can talk about it when we get together.

KC girl and spouse are workamping all over and would be a good source of information.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:13 AM   #8
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Thanks everyone for the input....Rich, looking foward to discussion with Helen and You.

As an update, we've accepted a workamping gig....after researching it very well, I think it's going to be a great one. Not too keen on the length of it, but that's ok. Looking forward to a great experience.
Bill

Old 05-26-2010, 05:19 AM   #9
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
We also workamp thru the seasons. Try to get a good summer position that covers about five months. Gives us a month travel to the location,and try to find the job in a new to us location.Gives you lots of time to explore the area. We have been working our winter site, but this coming winter we are going to just play. Really helps to keep costs down. At some point we would like to get to where we just volunteer, but that will be for state or national parks system...NEVER for private. If it is private they need to pay for help.
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:09 PM   #10
KSGirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5859
Haven't been on the forum lately but after reading this I thought I should reply. We also are workampers. Last year it was in Colorado Springs and this summer we are in Minnesota at Albert Lea/Austin KOA. Compared to last summer this campground is so much smaller and mostly overnighters. People come and go so much you don't have time to get acquainted but it is still fun. We have only been working 15 hours or less each week, but hope it picks up soon. We had 10 job offers for this summer so there is plenty to go around. Happy Camping....Coleen
KSGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:16 AM   #11
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
If you are interested in seasonal work over the spring and summer you can check USA Jobs the web site for federal jobs. They list positions with the National Parks and National Forest Service. I usually work from April or May until Sept at a National Park or National Forest each season. This allows us to check out a different location each season. This season we are at the Lake Roosevelt National Recreation Area in Northeastern Washington, we will be here until Oct or Nov then on to Arizona. Next season we are considering Colorado or New Mexico.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:37 AM   #12
LuckyNichol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8615
So glad to see we are having a forum on Workamping at the Fall MOC. We have been thinking/dreaming about Workamping for a long time as our retirement gig. We have been subscribing to Workamping Magazine for a long-time and plan on doing state parks instead of private parks. Curious, South Dakota State Parks only requires a one month committment and seem to be always recruiting, so you might want to start there.
LuckyNichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #13
jennyloves

M.O.C. #10599
ohhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!! That seems amazing and sl funny. you must be very happy.i would like too. but no chance.

www.tiffany-mine.com
jennyloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #14
rich6506547
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8222
The wife and i have been workcamping for about 4 years and have found some good and not so good. Now we are in Kansas volunteering for the Corps of engineers in kansas. They are very good to work for if you want to work for your place to stay while you visit or roam.
If you want to make money thats different you have to take the good with the bad. Most are good and good to work.
rich6506547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:30 AM   #15
epask
Established Member

M.O.C. #9460
We are always looing for quality people to workamop for the winter season here at the resort that we manage.
We have been at it for a few years now and love it.
http://www.silverpalmsrv.com
epask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:14 AM   #16
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Hi Ed,
What a small world.....we actually looked into buying at silver palms a while ago. My folks winter in Big O, and we probably will as well...just not this winter, as we've already committed to Branson.
Winter of 2011/12, we'll look you up...especially if you need someone that knows construction.
Bill

Old 08-18-2010, 02:58 AM   #17
epask
Established Member

M.O.C. #9460
Always on the look out for quality people and monty owners !
epask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:28 AM   #18
Stubbytails
Established Member

M.O.C. #10622
Hi all,
I have worked for the USDA Forest Service for over 30 years. The opportunities are endless volunteering as a camphost, guide, artifact digs, survey crew, fire lookout with the Department of Agriculture (National Forests). Some forests pay a stipend and other offer a paid site. Either way its a good experience for both parties, Department of Interior (parks, refuges, monuments) also do the samething. January and February is when the hunt starts for camp hosts. You will need to watch USA Jobs and also contact the forest you are interested in and you will want to contact the Recreation Planner-be sure they get your request on paper. Developed campsites are 1st to go and then the undeveloped (boondock). Enjoy have a great summer.
Stubbytails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #19
Randy636
Established Member

M.O.C. #10964
Anybody do any work camping where you can bring your horses?
Randy636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:32 AM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wild Horse

Hi Ed,
What a small world.....we actually looked into buying at silver palms a while ago. My folks winter in Big O, and we probably will as well...just not this winter, as we've already committed to Branson.
Winter of 2011/12, we'll look you up...especially if you need someone that knows construction.
Bill

Bill, you and I would be a force to be reckoned with! I may look into it in the future. I will follow your travels, hope to meet you one day.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote