Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Stackable washer/dryer

The Big Sky stackable washer/dryer is manufactured by Whirlpool. Seems like the Splendide Ariston is a popular stackable with MOCr's. We haven't used any Whirlpool products in the home, but have no reason to distrust them. We know nothing of their reliability in the Big Sky. Does anyone have any strong feelings to choose one over the other?

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
We have used Whirlpool in the home and they have been very solid units.
I would have to think a strong name would be a good product in an RV too. I know these days companies are bought and sold at such an alarming rate that names don't mean as much anymore.
I'd be curious if anyone knows these units.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:24 AM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I don't think there is much difference in quality. The only thing I can think of is that the Splendide Ariston series is specifically designed with the RVer in mind, while Whirlpool engineers may be thinking of small non-moving apartments mostly - although they would be aware that some of their units would be used in an RV situation.

Not sure if Whirlpool is aiming specifically at the RV market with these stackables. Maybe they are...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:22 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I, too, have Whirlpool in my home and have had nary a problem with them. I agree with Ozzie, you never really know who is making what these days.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:58 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I've always been a Whirlpool fan, but the name has changed hands so many times I don't know who makes them anymore. It's possible that the RV types are only using Whirlpool name tags.

The Splendide is Canadian 100%. We haven't used ours yet, so not sure if that's good or bad.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:14 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our stack is made by Whirlpool. It carries the name "Crosley Conservator by Whirlpool." They have been flawless in four years. They do not rock the rig and do an excellent job. I wish our washer were a front loader but the top loader has been fine. According to the manual they can be serviced by any whirlpool authorized service facility. So far we've not had to test that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:51 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We looked at the Whirlpool W/D, didn't have a front loader that would fit in our W/D compartment and most were all 24" wide and 220 volts. Delaine wanted a front loader. An she just happen to look at Splendide and they had one called Splendide Ariston. So we went to Mesa Az. while in Arizona and had it installed. Works great, a lot bigger Dryer and they are both front load. Like the other poster's we have used the Whirlpool products for all our W/D needs. DW done a lot of research and knew what was needed size and so forth.. She is very happy, thats the key. Good Luck on your choice..GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:58 AM   #8
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Question on the Ariston. Can you wash a load while drying a load at the same time? We do like the size of the loads you can wash and dry in the Ariston, although we used the Splendide 2100 with no problems in our last Montana. We just never used it while fulltiming (since we start in June 07), so never had large items to wash/dry like jeans or large bath towels. Trying to decide what to install in the new Monty. Help!!!
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:49 AM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Yes I do use both w/d at the same time. When I had the combo I had to do very small loads and could never do sheets and jean shorts or pants in washer or dryer because of wrinkling. I hung up all shirts to dry and what I did dry took a very long long time. Now my stackable is comparable to the Kenmore stackable I use to have in a house I rented several years ago. The difference in the Ariston stackable is amazing. I can wash and dry much faster and put more clothes in both. I would not have to go to the laundry anymore.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:20 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Chris and Dave, the key to getting large (relatively) load units is to go for apartment-sized models rather than rv-specific models. The Ariston may be an exception. I'm not familiar with it. Anyhow, that's what we found.

Ours has apartment sized tubs and measure 22 inches wide, or just over, on the washer and 23 1/2 on the dryer. They fit in the closet with room to spare on each side (we have a broom in that space on one side. The opening in ours is 24 inches if you remove the door to get them in there. If you want to remove the frame you could probably go to 25 inches, assuming there's no other obstacles under the frame. But you'd have to remove the frame again to get them out. So it might pay to do some measuring since apparently not all models have the same width closet.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:47 AM   #11
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
We have the majestic wash and dryer stackable. Both are front load and the washer is okay, the dryer is really crap. Can only dry 1/2 of a wash load and it wrinkles like crazy. We have to tumble 1 pair of jeans and take them out and hang damp to get the wrinkles out. This is a new unit (less that 6 months old) and we are pulling them out and replacing with the Ariston. Shooting $1200 bucks all to heck. O'well, I will make more. Chalk it up to a lesson learned the hard way, research had said that they were reliable and did a good job. NOT!!!!
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:29 AM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Steve, what brand is your w/d?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:14 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pparamore

Steve, what brand is your w/d?
washer: crosley by whirlpool, Unit says Conervator by Crosley. Sticker says "Crosley". model=CEDC3925JQ0
dryer: crosley by whirlpool. unit says Conservator by Crosley. Sticker says "Crosley". model=CAWC529JQ0

Ours are about 4 1/2 years old so I don't know if these models are still available. If not, my next choice would be Kenmore but I'd be sure not to get the switch that limits you to running one at a time. We run both at the same time, even on 30 amp.

They're not as pretty as the Majestic front loader rv models we had in here for a bit. The Majestics looked really nice but Vicki hated the ones we had. Tubs way, way too small and took forever to dry and then everything was wrinkled. Plus, no buzzer on the dryer. We need the buzzer to know when the dryer is done. We paid $100 to have the old ones taken out of our tradein and put in this one. Thankfully they still had our tradein.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:35 AM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thanks Steve, I will check around.......As usual, great info.....
Old 04-09-2007, 03:51 AM   #15
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

I've always been a Whirlpool fan, but the name has changed hands so many times I don't know who makes them anymore. It's possible that the RV types are only using Whirlpool name tags.

The Splendide is Canadian 100%. We haven't used ours yet, so not sure if that's good or bad.
I need to look we just bought the Splendide at the new Camper World and the sticker on the front says made in Italy?
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:30 AM   #16
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
One of the reasons we opted for the Splendide, they are made in Italy by the way, was we knew for sure they could stand the pounding they'd get riding in an RV. Did not have that confidence in an off the shelf stackable unit made for an apartment. Another reason was a neighbor with a Class A MH has an early 90s Splendide...still going strong and never repaired.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:39 AM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Not sure where I came up with Canada - must have been on the brain . Canada is pretty close to Italy isn't it?
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:34 AM   #18
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
I asked a dealer to find out what brand washer/dryer Keystone was installing in the Big Sky. He said that the factory install option for the combo w/d is Splendide and for the stackable, Whirlpool. Can we trust that Keystone did their homework on testing the roadworthiness of the Whirlpool stackables?
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:37 PM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I really can't imagine why they don't use the Maytag's as an option. I read somewhere that the 220 dryer is not permitted for some reason.
Do not know why.......
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:56 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't know what that dealer is thinking but Keystone/Montana does not install any washer or dryer or combo. They only do the prep. The individual dealer buys and installs the w/d. And the brand varies by dealer. Or maybe I misunderstood the post?

As for how the Whirlpools hold up, all I can tell you is we've put well over 50,000 miles on our Whirlpools in four years and they've never caused a moment's problem. The only time they've even been out of the rig was when they were moved from our prior Montana to this one. They are apartment sized, not rv specific. When you think about it, there aint a lot can go wrong in there that would be caused by driving down the road. They're built to handle tub movement, etc.