Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > House Keeping
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Splendide hints from the repair shop

As some of you know, my brand new, hardly been used Splendide died. As in no power, no worka~~~~

We drug Tana to the opposite side of Elkhart this AM to the repair facility, connected to Westland Sales.

One mother board/circuit board later, we are back and washing.

The repairman gave me these hints on using my w/d

1.) Clean the inside of the door, glass. Use 2 ott steel wool and windex, then dry with paper towel. Do NOT do this on the OUTSIDE of the door, ONLY the inside.

2.) About every 6 months, take 1 quart of white vinegar, dump in machine with NO laundry, run a normal cycle with the vinegar only.

3.) The rubber seal on inside of door can be cleaned with WD 40 (yepper, that is what he said). After you clean it well, follow up immediately with another cleaning using windex. Next step is to take baby oil and ONLY baby oil, rubbing a thin film on the seal and wipe excess off.

4.) He suggested running cycles with a tennis ball inside. I am still deciding if I will really go there!

Sharon, if you are reading this, visit my blog, written just for you.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Thanks! Definitely want to keep the Splendide running at optimum performance level!

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Carol thanks for the info. I finally broke down amd decided to get a stackable splendide. I swore I would never get one but after the two rallys back to back I decided what the heck. We will probably have one by next week.
Rosetta
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Congrats Rosetta!!

OOOOO, one other thing, use the HE soaps. Believe that stands for High Efficiency?????

OK, make that two other things:

For fabric softener, which you really need to use in these kinds of machines, get the HE kind too, which is rather watery, or thin. I had Downey in here, he said, fine, but water it down with 50/50 water/Downey.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Carol, I'm not the Sharon you intended the comments for, but I'm really glad to learn the tips you shared. I have the same model (I think) and was using too much 'he' detergent and liquid rinse. Had to pay a repairman big bucks (*Not* covered by warranty) to pull the thing out of the closet and clean out the drain hose that became clogged and prevented the machine from working. I now use 1 Tbsp. of each liquid, measured carefully with a measuring spoon.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
When I opened my eyes at 7:30 this morning (but went back to sleep after), I wondered if you were on your way to Splendide and hoping it would be a quick fix. Soooooooooo glad you had success and all by 12:30. We have been gone most of the day and first thing I did when I got back was check your blog and facebook. Thanks for the blog just for me.

Thanks for the tips. The only tip that I have done is 50/50 with the fabric softener. Guess I need to get busy and treat my w/d better. Not sure about that tennis ball either! Still trying to figure that one out.

Rosetta you're going to fall in love with your w/d.

tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Hey Carol! The tips really do work and I will tell you that when I use the dryer, I always run the load with a couple of tennis ball. I did it because it helps to fluff the clothes and they come out with less wrinkles.
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:46 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Tammy,

Just how does that tennis ball sound bouncing around in there?? That is my concern.

I am getting the hang of this now, watering down the fabric softener is easy enough, and I am finding the smell of the softener is reduced by the water??? Not sure, maybe my nose is on strike?? Anyway, I do not use softener at the stick built, so, am not used to the ordor, and the first few loads with it, the smell was annoying.

I might not be putting a full load of dirty stuff in, and am not having much of a problem with the wrinkles, BUT ya gotta use that smelly fabric sofener. (I am gonna be looking for NON-scented FS, is there such a thing??)

Found the correct setting for drying the t shirts, 20 minutes or less on synthetic. I like to hang them while partially damp.

I did do a load of towels late last night, on heavy cottons, 120 minute dry, took 3.5 hours, but they were clean and NOT wrinkled!

Ohhh, started machine this AM, it works!!

Gypsy/Sharon, glad you read this, and we won't tell Sharon M that the comments were for both of you! HAHA!

to all you girls.

A POST SCRIPT from CountryGuy, the WD 40 hint, he is very gun shy on this one. So, lets say, use this hint AT YOUR OWN RISK. Or call Spendide and ask them, play dumb, snicker, ask them how to clean that seal. See what they say.

Ohhh, Gypsy, I have the 2100XC.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:50 AM   #9
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Carol, I don't fid that the tennis balls were overly loud. In fact, I don't think they were as loud as the tennis balls in the stick house dryer. That's probably because the drum in the Splendide is smaller. Now, I'm not sure where in your Montana the w/d is located. In ours, it's in the bedroom on the front wall. If yours is near the living area, you will probably notice more noise than I did. And let me just tell you, don't waste your time on the blue "dryer balls" that are specially made for the dryer. They will crack and split in no time. Use tennis balls.

Give it a try. I bet you'll see a difference in wrinkling. The only time the tennis ball didn't help me was when I was drying a fitted sheet. The balls would wind up in the pockets of the sheet.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I would go with Tammy on the tennis ball suggestion. All the splendide combos I have seen tend to clump the clothes in a wad and leave them badly wrinkled. The tennis balls work well for this. We have always used tennis balls when drying washable down vests and coats. It fluffs them up and stops clumping which renders the down items useless... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Any one got a ole tennis ball they want to share??

So far, the only thing that really clumped was a sheet, and I washed it with NO fabric sofener.

Doing another load now and put MORE clothes in there. The testing continues!

Thanks for the feedback Tammy and Dave!
Old 08-13-2009, 11:14 AM   #12
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Carol,
I just bought this book written by an RVer. "Wrinkle-Free RV Laundry Using Your Combination Washer/dryer." by Sandra E. Jones. I bought it through RV Bookstore.com. I went on their website and couldn't locate it. Here is a website you can order it from with no shipping.

http://www.rvstuff.org/products.asp?cat=14

We purchased a Splendide Combo recently and I ordered the book. Lots of good tips, and there is an endorsement from Splendide in the back of the book. It is more of a booklet than a book, but it does have some great points. This was written by someone who gives seminars on using the Splendide Combo.

TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Nita, I have heard bout this book and couple. Thanks for the link.

See you soon in Goshen!! You guys still are coming, right???
Old 08-13-2009, 01:06 PM   #14
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
You're welcome! Yes, we'll be there! I think the book is worth the money. Lot's of practical sense there.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:59 AM   #15
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I saw the book at a show in Tampa last spring and read parts of it.. It was very interesting. I didn't buy it because I was getting a new stacked washer and dryer in the Big Sky that we had just ordered.

Yes Carol... There is scentless fabric softener from Downey. The bottle is pretty much all white and it really does not have a smell... It is the only thing I use. Even though I have a separate dryer I do not use the sheets of fabric softener. That can cause the sensors to stop functioning.

I also use the boxed soap that Splendide puts out. I get it at Camping World. It is expensive (about $18) but a little dab will do ya. I find that it lasts me well over six months and we live in our Montana.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:10 AM   #16
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Thanks Helen, good info there.

See you and Nita soon!!
Old 08-14-2009, 04:43 AM   #17
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Thanks for the great info.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:22 AM   #18
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
This is some fantastic info, do you put the tennis balls in at begining of the wash? or stop and put in when it is drying ?

and is the viegar put thru the soap drawer or just pour in the drum ? the waterdown softner is somthing I didnt think of but ours has been cloging up needs to be pulled out and cleaned.

Bob

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:54 AM   #19
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I wish that I was able to subscribe to this thread.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:26 AM   #20
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
The way I understood it is to just pour the vinegar in the drum, close door and run cycle.

I supposed you could put in that dispenser, but that will no way hold a quart, eh???

Not all threads can be subscribed to, you can subscribe to the general area of Girls gone MOC. Not sure that is something that can be added after a thread is started or not???? PM a moderator with the question???