Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2020, 05:05 PM   #1
Ohioken7
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23846
Gained some weight, 1,500 lbs in a year

We started full timing 4-29-19 and weighed rig at 24,160 (41’ rig + f450). Weighed today, little over year later at 25,680. Yikes, gained a lot. A lot makes sense like adding generator, upgraded mattress, more tools, 2nd battery, heavier tires, lots of food products, heater, etc., but I wasn’t expecting it to be this much. Rig weighs 16,180 and build stats page calls for 16,000 (shipping + cargo capacity).

I hardly carry anything in the truck. So my thought is, move a bunch of weight, tools and maybe generator to the truck. Worth doing? I can probably move 400-500 lbs easily. Just move the weight on drive days?

Ohioken7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:52 PM   #2
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
A good portion of your added weight is already going toward the truck's weight. The generator, 2nd battery, extra tools & mattress are putting close to 50% of their weight on the truck as it is. The only way to know where you are for sure is to take the whole rig to a scale & get it weighed. You need individual weights of each axle on the truck & the trailer. If you go to the Cat Scale at a truck stop, you can do this with 2 weights by positioning the trucks axles on 2 separate platforms for the first weight, then put both axles of the truck on a single platform & the trailer's axles on 2 separate platforms for the 2nd weight. Get those, then check back with them & weight ratings for truck & trailer. Driver's door jamb of truck & left front corner of trailer are where you will find that information.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 06:26 PM   #3
Ohioken7
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23846
Yes, I compared my cat scale from last year to today’s cat scale. I had weighed the truck separately last year too, so I could calculate the pin weight etc.
Ohioken7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:18 PM   #4
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
We can't give an educated answer without knowing your weights.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:01 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
My thought is if you can keep the issue at around the current #180 ... I'd not fret over it. Heck, if you carry say 15 gal of water in the FW tank and another 2-3 gal sloshing around in your black and grey tanks during travel ... that would be about what you are worried about.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:54 PM   #6
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Ken,

I would not lose sleep over your 180#. You appear to be in good shape with an F-450. You didn't mention what you are doing with liquids - are you typically carrying much water?

Since you have a year in to full timing maybe it is worthwhile looking at the stuff you are carrying to determine if you really need to drag it around. The other questions could be how often are you actually on the road compared to parked and how close are you stores to buy what you need.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carrying capacity, weight