Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2020, 06:58 AM   #1
Richcart
Established Member

M.O.C. #22427
Question Mobile hot spot - who's better Verizon / ATT

We started full time travels last summer. I still work and have both an unlimited Verizon Mifi (program no longer available) and an ATT Mifi - both unlimited data. I will be retiring next month so I won't need both. Verizon cost me $65 and ATT $60 a month. During your travels how have you found either service availability? When you look at their coverage maps, they both show they cover most the US but we have found one has worked better than the other in certain locations. Of these two, how has your experience been?

Richcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:43 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
There is no good answer to that. We have both an eastern and western home base and AT&T is spotty at best in both of them so we stay with Verizon. Also, working for Fish and Wildlife for years we had service with Verizon when others didn't with whatever they had. That said, at the homestead at Okeefenokee I had no service an a guy with AT&T did.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:07 AM   #3
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
honestly if you can afford to keep both I would. You cant get those plans anymore as you noted, something to think about. thats about an extra 720 ish a year to keep the extra one, a little more with Verizon, depending on which one you keep if not both.
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:35 AM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We have an AT&T hotspot that works well, but just like with the phones, some places are better than others. I have the AT&T unlimited plan for all my devices, including the hotspot, and Becky has a Verizon phone, also unlimited, which on occasion she uses for her wifi when the AT&T doesn't work as well. We have had times when she has been on her phone while traveling and has been dropped and she just picks up my phone and calls to continue her conversation. Yes, we could save some money, but decided early on that we enjoyed having the combination for better coverage.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:02 PM   #5
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richcart View Post
We started full time travels last summer. I still work and have both an unlimited Verizon Mifi (program no longer available) and an ATT Mifi - both unlimited data. I will be retiring next month so I won't need both. Verizon cost me $65 and ATT $60 a month. During your travels how have you found either service availability? When you look at their coverage maps, they both show they cover most the US but we have found one has worked better than the other in certain locations. Of these two, how has your experience been?
There are more variables at play here beyond the their provided coverage maps. Add to that everyone’s internet needs differ. While for some watching Netflix and checking personal email may suffice, others livelihood may depend upon dependable and reliable internet access. I don’t use hotspots but have SIMs from Verizon and AT&T. My experience has been that I could not have functioned with either as a single carrier. I am actually looking for a third dat carrier to fill in the dead zones...but I have to have connectivity no matter what. If a a few days or a week of no internet or insufficient throughout then one of those two carriers will probably work. But again none of them has coverage everywhere.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:47 PM   #6
footz1941
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21057
I have Verizon w/hot spot. Have been to very few areas Big Bend Park that I did not get service. Went to a lake in Missouri with Son and two friends. I was the only one with service. Sprint, T-Mobile and ATT
Rex and Patsy
footz1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:47 AM   #7
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I run both Verizon and ATT. I need connectivity for work. I have found if you ask a CG how good their reception is, that you need to be specific about the carrier. What is good for your phone may not be as good for your hostspot, different bands.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:20 PM   #8
ckclang

M.O.C. #20373
I recently with with a company called Visible which is a Verizon company. Unlimited data for $40.00 per month. Has worked great since I started using it. Check out their website.
ckclang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:41 PM   #9
mpchiar
Established Member

M.O.C. #23765
I have found that Verizon has better coverage in most of the USA.
mpchiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:08 PM   #10
Bozwell
Established Member

M.O.C. #23666
Hi there.... We full time, most of our travels are in western half of US.

Yep... you better keep both ATT and Verizon. We do and as much as we hate paying 2 WIfi bills we feel we have to have both.

Hope this help.... happy travels
Bozwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:13 PM   #11
mhutchi
Established Member

M.O.C. #20888
You'll find some opinions I'm sure, so here is one. We went from Utah to Texas and then east along the coast and up to NC then back north to I 90 and home to Idaho last year and used the Verizon hot spot everywhere with good speed and reception.
mhutchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:45 PM   #12
jmill8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13434
Send a message via MSN to jmill8
Visible is not actually a Verizon company, they use Verizon towers and buy bulk time like many other small providers. One has to insure your phone is compatible with their service if you want to keep it. I opted to swap my old phone for ZTE Blade A7 as old phone was not compatible. The Blade has problems, am sending it back and will probably upgrade to Moto Z4. There is no laptop texting with Visible as there was with Verizon. Hope this helps.
jmill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:51 PM   #13
jmill8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13434
Here is a "For what it is worth" item. I was with Century Link with DSL for long time at 8 - 9 MB download. Then all of a sudden download went to 2 - 3 MB. CL had no reason for the slow down, just said 8 - 9 was never available in my area and no plans to speed up in future. I finally decided to go with company called Clyirtel which user cell for connection. I have been getting varying speeds but usually around 7 - 8MB, that is with AT&T. With this arrangement, Verizon throttles speed after 30MB data use. Can take this service with you on road.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:55 PM   #14
jmill8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13434
After posting and reading my previous post re Clyirtel, it seemed somewhat confusing re service. You can pick cell provider, I chose AT&T due coverage in my area. If you opt for Verizon, they throttle speed after 30MB usage. AT&T does not throttle with unlimited data, minutes and texts.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:29 AM   #15
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmill8 View Post
Here is a "For what it is worth" item. I was with Century Link with DSL for long time at 8 - 9 MB download. Then all of a sudden download went to 2 - 3 MB. CL had no reason for the slow down, just said 8 - 9 was never available in my area and no plans to speed up in future. I finally decided to go with company called Clyirtel which user cell for connection. I have been getting varying speeds but usually around 7 - 8MB, that is with AT&T. With this arrangement, Verizon throttles speed after 30MB data use. Can take this service with you on road.
Visible is a Verizon company. https://www.verizon.com/about/news/what-visible

I use a Visible account ($40 a month) on an old iPhone 8 that I have. Have it tethered to a router via usb and it works great. $40 a month is not bad, but I still prefer my $20 a month ATT which I tether to the same router via Cat 6 cable.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:07 AM   #16
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
I have Verizon cell and had a Verizon Jetpack hotspot, and had good service all over the lower 48 and eastern Canadian provinces. I wasn't traveling and therefore suspended service on the hotspot and I was dismayed to later find that the unlimited plan was no longer offered. Next time we leave home I will have to make a new plan for wifi and I'm not sure what I will be doing.

I would keep the Verizon hotspot.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:12 AM   #17
Route66Rambler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23433
The Mobile Internet Resource Center is you best place to find the best coverage and plans. They also have an app called "Coverage?" that shows you network coverage across the US.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/
Route66Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:58 AM   #18
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
WHile Verizon and ATT are Ford vs Chevy each has undivided loyalty.

What should also be considered is external antennas to amplify the signals. I installed the Weeboost RV Drive X which is a Staple in the trucking industry for better mobile connectivity.

That alone dramatically improved my 4G reception and i found it invaluable. We stayed at a campground in the Cascade Mountains it was in a deep valley with No reception, the Campground Management said there was NO way we could get cell service withing 20 miles of the Campground. I turned on the Weboost and wa-la we were able to at least make calls, all the other campers were baffled seeing us on our phones when they could not get a single bar.

So you need to add to the discussion External antennas for reception reliability. Note I tried the Winegard 4G antenna it was total crap the Weboost was 10 folds better.

lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:11 PM   #19
Biker bill
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24657
Mobile hot spot

Have verizon MiFi and use tr uh cket type booster. Good combination. Works almost everywhere.
Biker bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:28 PM   #20
Richcart
Established Member

M.O.C. #22427
Thanks everyone

I appreciate all the information. I guess for now we'll keep both services. Maybe in the future we'll decide which to drop.
Richcart is offline   Reply With Quote