Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2004, 03:52 PM   #1
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Dometic Remote Thermostat.

I had previously posted that Dometic were going to send me a new remote to see if it would clear up the problem of having to set the heating temperature to about 77 to achieve 70.

Well it came today, and guess what? It actually seems to work! At least in the remote "I feel" heating mode. It is too cool this evening to try the A/C.

I tested it by setting the temperature to 70. It allowed the temp to drop to 68, and then kept the heat on until it hit 72. I noticed that the temperature indication seemed to jump in 2 degree steps. This got me thinking that perhaps they really work in Celsius, and just convert to the nearest degree F. (1 degree C = 1.8 degrees F). To test this theroy, I switched it to Celsius mode, and set it to 20 degrees C. Sure enough, at 19 the furnace started, at 21 it stopped. So it looks like they actually run on a +/-1 degree C swing.

My next move will be to check it with the wall unit controlling ("I feel" off). I can't figure why changing the remote would have any effect on the wall unit, but I'll give it try before I call Dometic again for a replacment wall unit.

I'm still not really convinced that this remote controller idea is a very good one, even if it worked perfectly, but I'll give it shot. If I don't like it, I can always go back the digital house thermostat like I had in my old trailer.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:10 PM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Ontmont -

We have our new remote at the dealer. I will try to get it picked up but I won't be able to use it until this spring as we have it at a seasonal site that's closed until April 1st. We had exactly the same problem. Had the wall unit changed and no help. I got a procedure to try from Montana if the new remote doesn't work. I posted it under the thermostat post, if your new remote doesn't fix the problem. I am curious as how they (Dometic) could release a product with this high of defect rate.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:42 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I sure do like my new $20 Hunter thermostat from Walmart with adjustable temperature span. That digital readout and easy two-button adjustment are sure slick.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:53 AM   #4
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Very interesting. I tried three different remotes at the dealership with no luck. They replaced my wall unit, and the problem appears to be fixed, allthough the unit still seems to act a bit strange. I was going to replace my wall unit with a Hunter, but someone else posted that the wiring on the back of the wall unit is a phone jack, and quite different from past wiring. Sounds like a good mystery to solve!!!
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:17 AM   #5
Montana_2428
Established Member

M.O.C. #2428
Just thought I'd ask;

On my 2955RL, the paper work for the remote states that the only way that the wall unit knows the temperature setting is by a "verification beep" at the wall unit. Meaning, when you make ANY change, the wall unit must beep to verify that it received the requested change. Is everyone waiting for this verification beep to occur?

I have made changes without the verification beep and it seems to leave the heat in some unknown state.

Hope this helps.
Montana_2428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 11:41 AM   #6
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

I had previously posted that Dometic were going to send me a new remote to see if it would clear up the problem of having to set the heating temperature to about 77 to achieve 70.

Well it came today, and guess what? It actually seems to work! At least in the remote "I feel" heating mode. It is too cool this evening to try the A/C.
tly, but I'll give it shot. If I don't like it, I can always go back the digital house thermostat like I had in my old trailer.
I have the same remote in our 05, 3400 RL and find that if I take the remote to the bedroom to use the "I Feel" setting, the unit never changes. I asssumed it if because the wall thermostate is not getting the signal from the hand held unit. Has anyone else had this same issue?

Thanks
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 07:29 AM   #7
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
OntMont,

Did you talk directly with Dometic or did you go through your dealer to get the new remote control? Who can I call?

Thanks!
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:26 PM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GypsySCM

OntMont,

Did you talk directly with Dometic or did you go through your dealer to get the new remote control? Who can I call?
I called Dometic directly (after Keystone rep gave me the number), but it is the same number that appears on Dometic's literature. You get into phone queue, but one different twist that they use, is that you can leave a message, and they will call you back, presumably having had a chance to look up any reference material required. Anyway they did actually call back fairly promply (within an hour) and agreed to provide a new remote. Unfortunately, the real problem is with the Wall Unit and changing the remote does nothing for that.

The new remote is better than the original, but it is still a bit off, and the wall unit is just as far off as ever.

The RVP company mentioned elsewhere may be able to help, but I'm wondering if both Dometic (mfr of Duotherm) and RVP (mfr of Coleman Mach), are in fact both using a system supplied by a third party. Anyway, if you hear anything helpful from RVP, please post it here, there are obviously a number of people interested in this topic.

Old 12-08-2004, 02:54 PM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
OntMont -

Did you try the fix that Montana recommended - taking all power off etc.? I had posted it elsewhere on one of the thermostat threads. Our unit is hibernating for the winter, so I can't check it. My new remote is in and they already changed the wall unit. We can't all be having this issue without there being something wrong. I don't know how you release a new product with a 100% defect rate. Haven't heard one person saying theirs works well.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:08 PM   #10
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rames14

OntMont -

Did you try the fix that Montana recommended - taking all power off etc.? I had posted it elsewhere on one of the thermostat threads. Our unit is hibernating for the winter, so I can't check it. My new remote is in and they already changed the wall unit. We can't all be having this issue without there being something wrong. I don't know how you release a new product with a 100% defect rate. Haven't heard one person saying theirs works well.
No, I didn't try it for the opposite reason, we are living in ours at present. I did take the unit off the wall, disconnect it and pull the card, which I would think would have the same effect, but it made no difference.

I am trying to systematicly try each function and document what does what. At this point the A/C seems to work perfectly when the unit is in "I feel" mode. It'll take a few days of testing to get all conditions documented, then I will have some hard facts to convey to Dometic. (Right now it is too warm for us to test the heating functions).

John (presently in Gulf Shores, AL).