Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2004, 03:25 PM   #1
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Surround Sound systems

I may be the only person who is actually happy with their Quest Surround Sound System (model 2000). I'm no audiophile, but ours seems to do what it is supposed to do.

However, if you are one of those looking to replace the Quest, you might want to take a look at the Samsung Bluetooth wireless systems. It seems to me that would be a good way get speakers positioned where you want them without having to worry about running wires. There are systems with all wireless speakers, or just the rear ones.

(A friend of mine bought them for his home system, and I thought it would be just thing for installing in an RV.)

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:12 PM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Ontmont -

We had a buzzing in the speaker by the kitchen table and the dealer found the unit had a bad channel. So, we also have a new Qwest unit to install this spring. Glad to hear yours works fine. We didn't have any issue except the buzzing on the one speaker.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:24 AM   #3
Montana_1985
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1985
Our Quest sucks too.. i posted in the lengthy forum earlier about losing the video out signal on mine... anyone have this happen??
Montana_1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 09:50 AM   #4
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
Ours had a loud hiss from the rear speakers and then it died. The dealer replaced the unit and it functioned but had the same hiss so I replaced it with a KOSS unit that was on sale at Sears. No hiss and good sound and understandable menus.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:27 AM   #5
On The Road Again
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1725
Well, I'm not really "unhappy" with my sound system, but the radio system really sucks, especially with no exterior antenna. No matter where I move or locate the small wire antenna I still get "static". Why Montana ever decided to put this system in without an exterior antenna confuses me.
Does anyone else have a "static" problem when using their radio?
Marshall
On The Road Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 02:44 AM   #6
Montana_1985
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1985
I don't even bother using the radio .... same problems.
Montana_1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 05:01 AM   #7
Dental Floss Tycoon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1817
I had the same problem with mine. What I did was to install a cable splitter into the line coming from the antenna amplifier. One line goes to the TV, the other goes to the FM antenna input on the back of the receiver. This will use the antenna on the roof since the audio portion of TV signals are FM. Lots of great FM reception and no more flimsy little wire that doesn't pickup squat.
Dental Floss Tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 10:17 AM   #8
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by On The Road Again

Well, I'm not really "unhappy" with my sound system, but the radio system really sucks, especially with no exterior antenna. No matter where I move or locate the small wire antenna I still get "static". Why Montana ever decided to put this system in without an exterior antenna confuses me.
Does anyone else have a "static" problem when using their radio?
Marshall
Ours came with the splitter built in, which connects the outside wind-up antenna to the back of the Quest. You do need to turn on the amplifier in the antenna to pull in distance stations, but it works great!
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 10:38 AM   #9
On The Road Again
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1725
How do I turn on the amplifier in the crank up antenna, assuming mine has the splitter built-in ?
The only antenna "boost" I'm aware of is in the bedroom next to where the TV connects to the antenna.
Your help is appreciated.
Marshall
Old 12-07-2004, 11:24 AM   #10
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:

How do I turn on the amplifier in the crank up antenna, assuming mine has the splitter built-in ?
The only antenna "boost" I'm aware of is in the bedroom next to where the TV connects to the antenna.
Marshall
That is it! When the light is lit, the antenna is amplified to either the TV or FM receiver.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:26 AM   #11
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Quote:

Marshall
The booster in the bedroom is the only one you have so give it a try. Ours is located in the bedroon as well adjacent to the DC plug.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 12:05 PM   #12
On The Road Again
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1725
I tried the one in the bedroom and it made no difference in the "static".
Thanks anyway,
Marshall
Old 12-07-2004, 01:58 PM   #13
On The Road Again
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1725
[quote]Originally posted by Dental Floss Tycoon

I had the same problem with mine. What I did was to install a cable splitter into the line coming from the antenna amplifier. One line goes to the TV, the other goes to the FM antenna input on the back of the receiver. This will use the antenna on the roof since the audio portion of TV signals are FM. Lots of great FM reception and no more flimsy little wire that doesn't pickup squat.

My question to you concerning installing the cable splitter into the line coming from the antenna amplifier......where do I put the "splitter" ? I'm confused... The only antenna amplifier I have is in the bedroom for that TV. Any help you can offer is appreciated.
Marshall
Old 12-07-2004, 02:49 PM   #14
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
That same technique also works wonders for our weather radio. We had to buy a little adapter at Radio Shack, but connecting to the TV antenna makes our weather radio really pull in signals.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 03:00 PM   #15
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
My question to you concerning installing the cable splitter into the line coming from the antenna amplifier......where do I put the "splitter" ? I'm confused... The only antenna amplifier I have is in the bedroom for that TV. Any help you can offer is appreciated.
Marshall
The amp in the bedroom should feed both TV's. The splitter goes in the coax line going into the back of the living room TV. I'll be surprised if it is not already there. Pull the Quest unit out, and look at the back. If there is a coax going into the 75 ohm FM input, then is likely hooked up to the roof antenna. If not, run a line from the newly installed splitter to both the big TV and the Quest unit.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:42 AM   #16
On The Road Again
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1725
Thanks Mike for all of your assistance on this problem. I put a "splitter" where you said and it got rid of the "static", although most of the stations come in kinda "scratchy", guess it's perhaps my location...next to the house, but it's still a "big" improvement.
Again, thanks,
Marshall
Old 12-08-2004, 04:45 AM   #17
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:

Thanks Mike for all of your assistance on this problem. I put a "splitter" where you said and it got rid of the "static", although most of the stations come in kinda "scratchy", guess it's perhaps my location...next to the house, but it's still a "big" improvement.
Again, thanks,
Marshall
Excellent. Just make sure that the amp is on, and the antenna cranked up!