Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2016, 04:17 PM   #1
racquetballfreq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10395
Send a message via AIM to racquetballfreq
Grey Tank valves open or closed?

So, I'm pretty sure that there are some opinions out there as to whether you should leave your grey tank valves open with a "P-Trap" in your line to hold back sewer gas to allow your tanks to drain/stay empty, or, close the valves and drain them as needed...what say you

racquetballfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:32 PM   #2
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
Always keep mine closed and open them after I empty the black tank and flush it. The gray water helps to flush out the hose and aids in flushing out the debris left in the galley tank. If you leave the galley open, the possibility of having food particles, etc remaining in the bottom of the tank is very likely.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Always leave mine open, with the P, until a couple of days before I dump the black and then I let them fill up to flush the line after the black tank. Since I do laundry frequently sometimes the main grey doesn't get shut until the day before.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:17 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Leave mine closed and when I dump the black tank I use the grey tanks to both backflush the black tank a little and also wash out the slinky going to the sewer drain. When I use the grey tank to backflush I've already used the black tank flush while dumping; using the clear connection on the end of the pull valve on the dump tube until it is running clear, then close the valve I have on the end of the dump tube. I then do the backflush with the galley tank for about 8-10 seconds and reopen the end valve. It's surprising how much more crud comes out of the black tank then. I also put a Flush King on the end and back flush the black tank for about 10 minutes or so, shut it off and watch for more crud coming out until clear. I then close the black tank valve and dump the bathroom grey tank to clear the line and the slinky. It sounds like a lot of time but it really does not take that long and I know the lines are clear then also.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:51 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ours is always left open and I form the slinky into a p-trap shape at the campground sewer inlet. I will close it for a couple of showers to build up some flush water for emptying the black tank every couple of days. We also leave the galley tank open since the washer and dishwasher drains into the galley tank on our model.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:55 AM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
[quote]Originally posted by DQDick

Always leave mine open, with the P, until a couple of days before I dump the black and then I let them fill up to flush the line after the black tank. Since I do laundry frequently sometimes the main grey doesn't get shut until the day before.

Exactly what I Do!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:28 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Open since both our gray and galley tank failed standing on our lot or driveway/I do not trust them to hold a lot of liquid.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:53 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Grey stays open until black tank is near ready to drain. More than once I have had the grey tank closed when the DW did laundry and later when I took a shower I found myself standing in an inch or two of water.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:37 AM   #9
stengels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14162
Send a message via AIM to stengels
Open, P-trap, close 2 days before black flush.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:47 AM   #10
racquetballfreq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10395
Send a message via AIM to racquetballfreq
Thanks to all for the input. I've done it both ways, but definitely close the valve a couple of days before the black tank needs dumping! When I have left the grey valve open, I will fill the the kitchen sin with a few gallons of water to flush out the left behind food particles. I always leave the mail valve open as I found out the hard way that the washer drains directly into the main drain.
racquetballfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:24 PM   #11
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I leave closed and drain often. I take no chance for having cockroaches finding a nifty place to live and yes...they can easily pass through water in a p trap. Just me... john
Old 10-28-2016, 04:43 PM   #12
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Open
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:11 PM   #13
Traveltimers2
Established Member

M.O.C. #19203
We have bee advised by many to leave the traps closed until dumping. First the black tank gets dumped, then backflush thru sewer system then backflush thru flushking adapter on dump tube. After I see clear running out of dump, I then empty sink (grey) and then bathroom shower/sink (grey). Helps with the cleansing of the slinky and moving all those "smelly particles" out of the drain into the sewer. Has not failed me yet and my monitor always reads almost total empty after dumps. Heard that not having enough fluid in toilet, shower or sink will not flush the black tank adequately and allow solid build up and sewer smells. My take on this but everyone does have to do as they are comfortable.
Traveltimers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:15 PM   #14
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If i close my gally tank three days before we dump and then I close the grey tank one to two days before depending on how much laundry I'm going to do then I have both gray tanks almost full to push everything out of the stinky slinky. Since we dump every two weeks, I can't close the grey tank sooner since our laundry water goes there and we do laundry often.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:58 AM   #15
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Same here.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:03 AM   #16
Phabask
Established Member

M.O.C. #13855
I leave mine open, I blow one gray water tank when I over filled it, know I use my kitchen gray water tank to flush black water,made P-trap for drain hose, dont want to change another tank what a PINTA
Phabask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:10 PM   #17
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I will never leave the valves open. I think allowing the tanks to fill allows for keeping the tanks cleaner. I can only imagine that if one leaves the valves open, the more solid stuff eventually collects to the sides of the water path and with any kind of warm weather, these solids will harden too much. Then trying to allow the fill will NOT remove these hardened substances resulting in problem later. I also imagine letting the tanks to fill keeps all debris wet and soluble and therefore able to evacuate the tanks more thoroughly.

Every couple days, I empty both gray tanks (they are usually about or almost full), then on the third time I do this, I dump the black tank first, flush it out real good and close the valve (then backfill with a couple toilet bowls full of water plus the deodorizer concentrate). THEN I dump both grey tanks tight afterwards to clean out whatever might be leftover in the plumbing and now the gray tanks are empty, too. This procedure also helps not having to remember to close the gray valves to collect it for the black tank flush. Keeping the valves closed also keeps any orders way down, too.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:58 AM   #18
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
Leave grey open until a day before leaving. Black always closed for obvious reasons.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:00 PM   #19
DCB
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveltimers2 View Post
We have bee advised by many to leave the traps closed until dumping. First the black tank gets dumped, then backflush thru sewer system then backflush thru flushking adapter on dump tube. After I see clear running out of dump, I then empty sink (grey) and then bathroom shower/sink (grey). Helps with the cleansing of the slinky and moving all those "smelly particles" out of the drain into the sewer. Has not failed me yet and my monitor always reads almost total empty after dumps. Heard that not having enough fluid in toilet, shower or sink will not flush the black tank adequately and allow solid build up and sewer smells. My take on this but everyone does have to do as they are comfortable.
Can you clarify what you mean by the following: "then backflush thru sewer system". Thanks!
DCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:34 PM   #20
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
I guess I'm missing something... if you dump your grey tank every other day or whatever, what's the issue? You go to where your dump valves are, pull the valve... dump the contents or do a black tank dump and flush with grey or whatever, close the valves and then you are done... how long does it take, not that long (a few minutes tops??)... it is what it is.... just dump as needed and move onto other things. Just sayin'.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote