Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Heater

Has anybody looked into this RVComfortSystems.com?

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I looked at it about a year ago and decided it was a bit pricey for me. I am not sure how long it would take to pay for itself. I do like the idea. I don't like that they won't sell to consumers. If it is so simple and if the instructions are as good as they claim why not. Half that $900 price tag has to be labor.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:54 AM   #3
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
I have not seen the wisdom in installing the electric heat conversion. I am in a site where the electric is metered, and I pay for it. So how would I realise any savings. $900+ for the unit will buy a considerable amount of propane. The national average for the week of October 3rd is $2.77 a gallon. That's about 325 gallons of propane. The only up side I can see for my situation is saving the effort of having to tote the 30 pounders off to get filled.

Oh and by the way, contrary to the Chamber of Commerce hype, it does get cold in Florida, just not as long as other places.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:12 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I talked to the owner of the company, he sent me a bunch of install info, he made me an installer but the cost is so high in labor, not too many folks want to pay it. I talked to three prospective customers, but nothing came thru.
They need to offer this at the factory, not aftermarket.
Hey, how's that instant water heater working?
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

I talked to the owner of the company, he sent me a bunch of install info, he made me an installer but the cost is so high in labor, not too many folks want to pay it. I talked to three prospective customers, but nothing came thru.
They need to offer this at the factory, not aftermarket.
Hey, how's that instant water heater working?
Why is the cost so high in labor? Did the company dictate how much you had to charge? Are the hours for installation out of line for the normal install? What did you think of the unit? I have seen some videos from some of the RV doctors that seemed to like it. In my case we have weather in the teens and below and snow during the winter. If I got one, it would be usable for me for about 4-6 months. My electricity is included in my monthly fee so there would only be a propane savings for me for sure. Probably somewhere in the neighborhood of $350+. My estimate is that it would cut my propane fee in 1/2 during those months. I figure I would need to use propane for some time for heating just because of the temperatures.

The tankless hot water has worked out good. For some reason it will cycle through about 4 or 5 seconds of cold water and then back to the hot water. It is kind of nice that we an do dishes, and both Kaye and I shower without any down time for recovery. Pretty cool. I have been unable to see any additional propane use because when we used the hot water before for showers/bathes we used propane and electric at the same time for quicker recovery.

I understand that the Wildcat comes out standard with tankless hot water now. I guess I am just riding the crest of the wave:>) Just hope I don't try to shoot the curl!
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:29 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I'm glad the tank-less is working out for you guys, sometimes it's scary to lead the pack, but rewarding as well.
Mike, the labor is just intensive for the retrofit, lots of things to take apart and put back, wiring, and as you know something always complicates any well-planned job. No, they do not suggest, or dictate your labor.
We always joke about a job being a 'Three trip to the parts store job'
I really like the product, I think it is well designed, has great electrical safety protection, and with the need to heat our trailers underbelly in freezing weather, is much better than a free-standing, or built-in electric heater.
Now, if we are talking about temperatures above 35 or so, I like my built-in Granger's temperature-controlled heater. I have it on right now, it's 60 out, and it's cycling on 50% setting. We keep the bedroom cold, so often don't even use the small heater we keep up there.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote