Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2011, 06:26 AM   #1
arcateq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10837
Send a message via AIM to arcateq
Slide Drawer for Generator

Got the slide drawer installed this weekend to put the generator on. Still need to cover the plywood with something and put a brace in the back for some extra support. IT works GREAT!

arcateq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:42 AM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Looks great Greg, I guess that Gen set looks bigger in the lower picture than it realy is. I have been thinking of putting a full extention drawer slide in my monty as you have done. I have a 5 foot Accuride rated for 400 lbs sitting on the shelf just getting started is my problem.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
arcateq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10837
it was not as bad as i thought it was going to be. In the floor of my basement they only use 1/2" ply which is why i want to add more support. This drawer has a 300# rating.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
SWEET!
You do good work, love it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Greg my black and gray tanks are touching the floof of my basement where I want to install mine, but thats what I was worried about the screws punchering the tank. I guess your tanks are not in that area then or you used short, fat, screws.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Greg... Do you plan on leaving the Genny there to run it? Or is the drawer there just to help facilitate storing/unpacking it?

Old 03-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
arcateq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10837
I plan on leaving the Generator there to run it. The plan is just to pull the drawer out hook it up and let it go. I have some u bolts that will go over the axels of the generator to hold it in place. It also has the remote start so once it is pulled out we can fire it up from inside the trailer. The exhaust is out the back of the generator that will be facing away from the trailer.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:58 AM   #8
arcateq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10837
Don i did use shorter screws. The ones that came with it were to long and hit the tanks. They were also for a thicker plywood floor, but because of that i am going to put another support across the back when the drawer is pulled out.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #9
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Gasoline in an enclosed space is not a good idea. Now if you let it run dry before putting it away maybe it would be ok. In addition, operating it with the cabinet door open could be dangerous. A wind shift could blow those fumes right back into the cabinet where they will rise into the living space. Several years ago two experienced yacht delivery captains were found dead on a boat. The investigation found that they were running their generator. the boat next to them put out fenders and the fenders blocked the exhaust that went right into the cabin. If you do it, be very careful. In addition to my regular profession I was a volunteer fire chief and I am an EMT. Safety first!
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
bruiser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6319
I agree with CmdrDewey. If you look at any fifth wheel with a generator prep installed you will see a fully enclosed and sealed metal box. This eliminates any chance of the dangerous exhaust fumes entering the trailer. I had my Onan 5500LP generator installed by the dealer. When I went to pick it up, the generator was installed but they did not build the metal box to surround it. I had them pull the generator and build the box before putting it back in. I recommend that you build a box in that compartment and then install your slide drawer. Could you do the same in the front compartment? This is where most people have their generator. This is just my opinion, but CO gas is just too dangerous to take chances with.
bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #11
arcateq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10837
Thanks for the comments. I want to be smart and make informed intelligent decisions when it comes to all this. Worst case, the generator sits in the bed of my truck and the slide drawer holds the junk. I do have a question on exhaust, where does your exhaust get directed from your Onan 5500LP? My thought with putting the generator on the slide is that the exhaust is over 3' away from the trailer and blowing away from the trailer ( wind is always an issue etc. but i think it is no matter WHERE you have your exhaust piped.) Your point on storing the gas in the generator is great. I need to think that one thru more. I was planning on keeping the gas can in the bed of the truck but honestly didn't think about the gas IN the generator. What do people do with their little hondas?? Keep in bed of truck? Front? Do you drain the gas from them? Do people have gas generators built in? Love to have feedback. Thanks everyone.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Greg, I had a generator in the hold of an old boat I had, I connected a copper pipe to the exhaust securely and vented it outboard.
However, I agree with others it should not be in the basement, as the furnace circulates air from there to the cabin, or inside.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #13
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Greg, I see many people with the generator in the bed of the truck with a chain and lock on it.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:56 AM   #14
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
After looking at a few toy haulers on the lot, most of the factory gennies had an exhaust pipe that went back just a little past the bedroom slide (drivers side).

I too would love to know where everybody puts there little hondas. I planned on storing mine in the front garage area untill needed. I guess I will have to drain the gas out of it after each use then?

Old 04-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #15
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I store my Honda generator in the front storage compartment strapped down to inverted U bolts that I installed in the compartment. The fuel tank cap is securely tightened and the vent on the fuel cap is closed. I pull it out when I want to use it and place it at the end of a 50 ft cord downwind from the Monty. I don't drain the fuel tank prior to storing it back into the front storage compartment. I DO let it cool down completely before storing it. Seems to work well.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ren

I too would love to know where everybody puts there little hondas. I planned on storing mine in the front garage area until needed. I guess I will have to drain the gas out of it after each use then?

CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #16
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We have the Honda 2000 and we transport it in the front basement. We do not remove the gas from the tank. We carry the portable gas tank in the bed of the truck. We've never noticed any gas smell coming from the front basement. Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote