Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Shiftless

It was a snowy day in town, icy, miserable roads but I had to go get a 3/4" sheet of treated plywood and some carriage bolts for a walk-in cooler I was repairing.
I engaged the 4 wheel drive and started off to Lowe's, I accidentally turned the selector switch to 4 wheel low, then switched over one position to 4 wheel high, when I got down the hill and on the country road, it was stuck in 4x4 Low... Bummer. I tried to switch it to high, or just off, but no go.
I drove slow the 2 miles, got the supplies and drove back, it wouldn't switch off 4x4 Low. I called the dealership and talked to a service manager. When asked if this could have had anything to do with the recent recall work, he said no, but bring it in Monday when the tranny guys will be there.
I had committed myself and Sue to the job, had to take my Plasma cutter, compressor, plywood, cooler wall section and tons of tools, as I was working on over town removing equipment making room for new.
I stopped down the hill, turned the switch back and forth maybe five times in neutral, and it 'un-stuck'.
Anyone else had this problem? 2008 4x4 Ford Super duty 3/4 ton.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Haven't had the problem, but am I remembering right? Is it possible that you can't do switching from low-4X4 to high-4X4 on the fly? I don't have my manual in front of me, but it seems I remember something about being stopped and in neutral to do the switching.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Ozz, if its like the Chevy I have, you have to come to a complete stop, shift into Neutral, not Park, and then into or out of 4W Low. I also believe you can only go from 2W into 4W Low and back, not 4w LOW TO 4W High but not completely sure on this one. Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
I too have found you you have to be stopped for switching out of Low. It seems a little finicky too me in switching in and out of low. High works fine.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
My '07 did that once also. Seems I put it in 2wd and pulled forward, backed up, pulled forward, etc. a couple times before it released. Only time I ever put it in 4wd low. May just be a matter of tight since it is never used.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php is a great place to get answers on your Ford truck.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Ozz i sometimes have to back up , you have to come to a total stop put it in 2 wd then back up 20 ft anf then stop total let the truck settle an d then go foward , that is what we had to do on the older models and some army 4 x 4 s years ago , but it worked sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
2WD to 4WD High on the fly, while driving at less than 50 mph. To go from 4WD High to 4WD Low, as others have said, you must be stopped and in neutral before selecting 4WD Low. And, as sailer stated, sometimes you have to put tranny in reverse to "un"bind the whole connected assembly when going from 4WD Low back to 4WD High before you can then select 2WD High.

I'm no expert, but have had 4WD trucks since model year 1974.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:52 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thank you all for the responses, I must have been in park when I couldn't get it out of low. When I was in neutral it came out. Guess I should have read the book that came with the truck, (like Stiles did...)
Old 01-18-2009, 03:19 AM   #9
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Well Pardner, I was always told, when all else fails, read the instructions.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #10
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Ozz,

You will know these acronyms: RTFQ, RTFM and when FUBAR, RTTFM. (Okay, the last one may be a bit obscure - Refer to the f'n manual)

Have fun!!! And, RTFM!!!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:03 AM   #11
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Fords always used to be known for an ice and slush buildup on the t. case when it was freezing out. This often prevented the shift from one range to another until the obstruction went away and/or it thawed a bit.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:52 AM   #12
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Jim:
Had the same problem when I was in a hilly campground in Kentucky and switched into 4X4 low. Couldn't get it back out of low when we got back on the road. We have a GMC. Seen a Chevy dealer and whipped in there to see if they could help. Salesman said "put it in neutrial, when stopped and then shift it". I felt like a stupid jerk. With everything electronic anymore, it is just to hard to keep up on all of this stuff. Whatever happened to the window crank, the dimmer switch on the floor, and the lever on the aux. 4X4 box.... Cancel your appointment to have it checked out. I think you now have it figured out by now..JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:47 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks JB, it is SO hard to keep up on all technology advancements, it's good we all have each other here in this friendly Forum. With all these folks, someone will bail us out. (I still don't know all about the radio in my truck...)
Yes, I decided to cancel my appointment.
Take care,
Ozz
Old 01-19-2009, 12:01 PM   #14
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I need a book on these, know what FUBAR& FTTFM is but not the rest.
"You will know these acronyms: RTFQ, RTFM and when FUBAR, RTTFM. (Okay, the last one may be a bit obscure - Refer to the f'n manual"
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote