Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Air Bags

For whatever reason, the 3075RL has the highest pin weight of any model Montana, even the largest ones. It causes the truck (F350) to sag down just a little onto the overloads. I am considering adding air bags to raise it up a little when towing. Some questions.

1. Being mechanically inclined and looking at the instructions on the web, I don't think I would have any problem installing them myself. Any comments on installation?
2. Would there be any real benefit getting the truck up off the overloads when towing? Smoother ride maybe?
3. After you arrive and disconnect, do you reduce the air bag pressure until you hook back up again? Seems it would lift the back of the truck if you didn't.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
sedwheathome
Established Member

M.O.C. #6730
1) I installed a set of Pacbrake air bags on my Dodge 2500 a year ago my self. Not hard to do, just take your time. No major tools needed. The Firestone air bags are good also, I got a better deal on the Pacbrake air bags.
2) We have a 2955 Montana. It didn't push the truck down to the overloads, but the air bags level the truck & camper out very well. I do feel a smoother ride with the air bags when hauling the Monty or other heavier loads.
3) After arriving & disconnecting, I typically do not reduce the air bag pressue unless I am going to be running around a lot. I typically use 15-20 psi when hooked to the Monty. When not hooked, I let the air pressure down to 5 psi. If I leave 20 psi in the air bags when not towing the Monty, they will raise the truck bed up & the Dodge then rides like a wooden wagon. I did not spend the extra $$$ for the onboard compressor & the rest of the toys that go with it, but it would be nice if one is towing all the time. I simply run the air lines to the rear of the truck where the license plate bolts on. This works for me.
Happy Camping!
sedwheathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #3
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I installed the Firestone air bags not because the rear of the truck was sagging but for a smoother ride. A little bounce before and now one bounce and that's all.
20-25 lbs towing and 5 lbs unhooked.
You will notice the diffence after installing the air bags.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I have had bags on my last two trucks. Easy to do and well worth it.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I had the CW Air Lift Bags on my 2500 and the onboard compressor. If you full time you might look into the compressor as you will be airing up and down alot, at least I did. If I recall, I ran about 40-50 psi towing and went down to 5 without, much smoother ride that way.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
radio flyer
Established Member

M.O.C. #8409
I have a 2008 f250 XLT V10 super cab short bed. I installed the firestone bags, easy job. I tow a 2007 307RKD, 25 lbs towing, and 5-10 lbs no load. This is just what your truck needs.
radio flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I don't have them, so I guess I don't have any allegiance to them. I get a little sag, but I also expect that when I lay almost 1-1/2 tons in the back. It has never affected performance or handling, nor is it running overloaded, so I never worried about it.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
And I thought the 2980 RL had the heaviest pin weight sure glad I'm not the one any more.
I put bags "Air-Lift" on the Ford so I wouldnt have the lights shine in the eyes of the on coming trafic when the Monty was hooked up. you know how some people love to flash there lights at you when they cant see the road.
I installed them my self and it took about4 or 5 hours, because I didnt read all the instructions I missed the section of the proper angle of the frame bracket to the spring pad, dont miss that part like I did.
It was a good investment for me.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:35 AM   #9
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
Firestones on our dually. Did just as everyone else says it does! Money well spent and not much time on your back to install!
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:34 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Looks like air bags are in my future.

More questions.
1) Those without on-board compressors.
A) Do you use a hand/foot pump? Or drag out the 12v compressor each time?
B) Do you hitch up, then inflate? And deflate, then unhitch?

2. Those with on-board compressors.
A) Did you install the compressor system yourself? Or have it done?
B) Where is the compressor located? Reading instructions online, that location was not clear.
Looks like the compressor system is more of a challenge than the air bags themselves.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:46 AM   #11
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
I went with the Timbren suspension enhancement rubber springs for reasons of price, ease of installation and convenience. This is on a 2500HD, short box with the D/A.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:55 AM   #12
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I have the Firestone system on my truck, did it myself, no big job, took about 3 hours. Do not have the on board compressor so I drag out the 12 volt compressor and fill before I hookup, sort of a pain but definately more cost effective than an on borad system. I think it was Ozz that did his own onboard system and he posted pictures. He did a very nice job of it, you might contact him for the link and advice. I am thinking about converting my 12 volt compressor to a onboard system, seems sinple enough, if your simple enough to want to get into it yourself.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:55 AM   #13
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
Bill, as can see in my sig I have the same truck as you except drw. Took a few hours to install...no biggie. They make the ride much smoother in the truck and I'm sure in the trailer. I have the onboard compressor... it fits very neatly on the right front inner fender under the hood. The control unit is inside the little drivers glove box. Very cool install if I must say so myself. I run 5lbs empty and put in 30lbs before I hitch up which translates to about 45lbs with the pin weight (2750lbs) on it. Had them on my 04 F250 also. Can't go wrong with the Firestones.
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #14
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I don't have the onboard compressor. I went to Walmart and bought a bicycle pump for about $10 and 4-5 storkes and bags are pumped up. Remember the bags are small in size and it doesn't take much volume to pump up 5 lbs.
I saw no need to pull out my portable air compressor for such a small job.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bill, I did the on-board compressor, I will try and round up the pictures for you. I mounted the compressor under the drivers side on a plate I made. I have an air horn, so it is needed for that and air.
I have a small reserve tank, and I put in a very large air tank on the passenger side.
I suggest a 5# co-2 or dry nitrogen tank with compound gages for an air supply, it's portable, quick, and very powerful. You can also run air tools with it.

Here are some links:
http://tiny.cc/3gallon
http://tiny.cc/CO2651
http://tiny.cc/Compr
http://tiny.cc/Airchuck
http://tiny.cc/Newcompr This one was on my first Ford, it had a skid-plate, I mounted it on that brace-support.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I had the Firestone airbags with onboard compressor and incab controls on two trucks, a 1999 F350 and a 2005 F250. I was very happy with them. I did not install them myself. I do not have (nor need) them on the current truck.

With sag you may experience some light handling on the front wheels, depending on the amount of sag. No matter what anyone says, better control of the steering wheels is something I feel is desirable.

The advantages to the onboard compressor and incab controls is twofold in my opinion:
1. Quick and easy changing of the psi for towing or solo.
2. Ability to adjust the ride to the road conditions while tooling down the road. It helps the ride although it doesn't necessarily get rid of all undersirable characteristics of some roads. But it does help.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:21 AM   #17
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Maby I am not seeing the whole picture in Air Bags. I have been looking for a F350 to replace my F250, the F250 only drops about 1" when I hook up (not bad),but the 3400 maxes out the truck I have. I thought that the F350 DRW would take care of anything. Or is it just for a better ride ? I like better ride.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bob, I attended a certified truck driving school in Alaska the day I brought my 3400 home. The instructor was adamant about installing air bags. The reason was to keep the truck from bottoming out while driving in uneven terrain or backing on uneven terrain. I have yet to install them on my 3500 yet, but will do so soon. SO, they are not just for a better ride. BTW: My instructor was not affiliated with any shop that sold or installed bags. I did have them installed on my 2500 when I had it. I don't say they are a neccesity but probably nice to have items.......Remember, this is my opinion only.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #19
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I gess I forget about the bounce in the roads and they do bounce. that is something that needs to be on the list. Thanks
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:32 AM   #20
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Without the Firestone airbags the top of my rear bumper is 31.5" from the ground. With the Monty hitched up my headlights are pointing too high, steering is lighter and I have more bounce. I spent about three hours installing the airbags. Now with the Monty hitched up, I fill the bags up till the bumper is 31.5" from the ground. Headlights are pointed where they are supposed to be, steering is more responsive, any bouncing is less harsh. I use a 12V compressor. Bag air volume is low so it only takes a couple of minutes to fill. Well worth the investment.
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote