Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Digital Tuner

Has anybody installed the digital converter box for the TV in any Montana? If so how did you install it?

Thanks

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:41 AM   #2
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
There are two (or more) ways. First is to run the antenna lead(coax) to the input of the box and one of the outputs (also coax) to the tv. Set the tv to channel 3 or 4 whatever the converter wants and after the setup procedure your ready to go. The other way is to also connect the coax to the input of the converter but to use the composite outputs (yellow,red and white RCA jacks) to your tv if so equipped. Set the tv to that input and again run the setup on the converter and you're ready to go. I personally have used the second method in the Montana (produces a better picture, and the first on an old tv at home.

Mike
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
You'll find some info in this thread: Digital Converter

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
I had two converter boxes installed at Camping World, Syracuse. Installation charge after Pres Club was 71 each plus shop supplies. When you buy two, as described above, you just connect the antenna wire to the converter and the converter to the TV by another (included by Wineguard) cable.

I can vouch the picture is better and there are more channels out there. If reception is bad, you can try to aim the antenna, but it is much harder than analog tuning.. Did I mention the picture is much better. Oh, yes mine are the original TVs with my 2006 Monty, and the converter box is just the "digital converter" and doesn't have anything to do with High Def.

And best of all, you get another remote for the digital box!

Gene
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I installed and tested the bedroom TV with the new Winnegard digital turner. I was shocked at the picture clarity and the number of digital stations that were detected by the set-up program. I went back on line and ordered a second turner for the living room TV. This way when no satellite available the wife can watch what ever she wants.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:19 AM   #6
rv_nut
Established Member

M.O.C. #6485
One thing to watch out for is that most of the converter boxes don't have an analog tuner. They will only tune digital channels. If you're camped in an area with poor digital reception, but good analog atations, you will have to bypass the converter box to see the analog channels. There are a few boxes that have both digital and analog tuners (or an internal bypass that feeds the antenna signal around the box).

Of course, in February of next year, this will not matter -- no more analg channels!

Ken
rv_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #7
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
I am under the impression when in a campground with cable, we will just not turn on the TV antenna, wire up the cable, and watch all the Food Channel we want without any interference due to having installed a digital box.

Am I correct having the box wired to the TV won't interfer with cable when available?

Thanks
Old 07-22-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Genecurp,

It's my understanding that if you receive programming from a satellite system or a cable system you do not need the conversion box. That is because those process already are all digital. It is ONLY if you do not have sat or cable and are receiving over the air only that you need a box. I hope that is correct. Because I do not plan to get a coversion box.

Good luck to us all.

Let's enjoy.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:38 AM   #9
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Yes, the satellite and CATV companies will provide the signal for your analog TVs. If there is an outage of your service provider, having the digital stb will allow for viewing the local channels. Also, the satellite and CATV companies may not transmit the sub-channels.

With the new digital signals, the local broadcasters can broadcast up to 4/5 channels all with different content. As an example, in Indianapolis, the local channel 8 is broadcasting channel 8-1, 8-2, and 8-3. The 8-2 and 8-3 at present broadcast weather (8-2) and a radar picture (8-3) fulltime. Channel 8-1 broadcasts the normal content.

In our Monty 3400, we will install one of the digital stb to allow for receiving the local channels for the area we happen to reside. This will allow us to be informed of the local weather and other local activities, while the Direct TV satellite will provide all of the other programming. If we are out of the "spot" beam for local channels (Indy) then the stb will provide the national broadcast content that will not be available via satellite.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:23 AM   #10
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Hey guys, thanks.

I wasn't clear. I already have installed converter boxes and am using them in my campground for over the air/antenna reception. Love it.

I am moving Friday to a new campground with cable service.

The box is connected to the wire from the antenna and then the box is connected to the TV.

When I have cable next week, will I have to remove the converter box to use the campground's cable service?

This is a question that will still apply after Feb. Gee

Yours truly technicall challenged,
Gene
Old 07-23-2008, 06:23 AM   #11
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Where we have our camper, we get no reception or a very fuzzy one that you can hardly see sometimes. Will the box bring in any stations that we can't see now, or improve reception at all?
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:36 AM   #12
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
PowellsMonty,

You are probably receiving the traditional 'analog' signal that we all have received since the beginning of TV. The new 'digital' signal is now being broadcast over the air as well. Beginning in Feb 2009, the 'analog' signal will be turned off and only the ' digital' signal will remain. The picture quality of the new digital signal will be similar to the signal received via Direct TV/ Dish satellite service, and most CATV companies.

With the new digital signal, you will either have a picture or you will not. The power of the signal being broadcast by the TV station will dictate how well you are able to receive a picture. At present, some stations are broadcasting the digital signal below the maximum power, but beginning in Feb 09, they will turn up the power. This should allow for receiving the digital signal farther away from the broadcast antenna.

I apologize if this becomes too complicated ot technical for some, I work for a catv provider and we are dealing with many of these issues today, as we are required to receive the new digital broadcast and send to our customers.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:42 PM   #13
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by genecurp

Hey guys, thanks.

I wasn't clear. I already have installed converter boxes and am using them in my campground for over the air/antenna reception. Love it.

I am moving Friday to a new campground with cable service.

The box is connected to the wire from the antenna and then the box is connected to the TV.

When I have cable next week, will I have to remove the converter box to use the campground's cable service?

This is a question that will still apply after Feb. Gee

Yours truly technicall challenged,
Gene
I think this is a great question and hope someone can answer it. Will the digital converter boxes "pass through" a signal that is already digital? I plan on installing my digital converter in the bedroom this weekend and was planning on installing it the same way Gene did.

I may have to split the input signal leaving one output running to the coax connection on the TV and the other output from the splitter feeding the Converter Box. I would then route the output from the converter box to the TV using RCA cables or an S Cable. I would then be able to control what "source" I am watching by cycling through the inputs on the TV. COAX to watch Analog and cable TV, RCA inputs to watch Digital Broadcast Channels.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:23 AM   #14
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Cable tv is blocked by our Winguard digital converter box RCDT-09
Moved last night to a CG with cable and we couldn't receive it. Disconnceted one box and now have cable to that TV.

The disconnect was taking the digital box all the way out of the systen, and reinstalling antenna/cable wire keystone installed directly to back of tv.

Hope this is clean and is helpful.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:17 PM   #15
rv_nut
Established Member

M.O.C. #6485
As Gene said, most of these boxes will not pass a cable signal or the analog output from your TV antenna. You can split the signal to bypass the digital box as Bill states above. You can also check the digital box reviews for ones that have an internal bypass function. Or, just re-wire the thing when you need to and wait for February.

If you frequently use campgrounds that have cable hookups, I would buy a box that has the bypass function. This will be a problem even after February.

Ken
rv_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:06 PM   #16
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
I just installed a DTVPal digital tuner in our coach. It has a "pass through" feature that will allow analog signals to be passed to the TV. This is a new feature that has only recently been added to some digital tuners. As I understand it, come next February 9th, there will still be some "repeater" stations that will still be transmitting analog signals. The pass through tuners will allow these stations to be received. I understand that these "repeater" staions will eventually go digital as well although some may not do this until 2012.

Go to www.dtvpal.com for more info on this digital tuner.

BTW The pictures, while not high definition, are very good. Much better than analog. As has been stated earlier you either get a great picture or no picture. No more snowy TV pictures due to a weak signal.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:39 AM   #17
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Installed my Digital converter box for the bedroom TV. Coax input to the box and either coax or RCA outputs but only had Coax input on the TV. Picked up 23 Digital channels as compared to 5 analog signals. Very good picture. I know that on the LR tv (HD Digital) I will sometimes get pixelation and freezing of the picture vice the above stated picture/no picture but have not seen that yet on the Bedroom TV using the converter box. I have not had the opportunity to test with cable yet but anticipate it will be a problem requiring splittling the signal and having a selectable A/B input switch. I am building a shelf for the converter which will mount in my W/D cabinet beneath the TV and position the reciever infront of the latticed woodwork at the top of the cupboard (directly beneath the TV but inside the cabinet). Hopefully the IR signal will reach the box through the holes in the wood work and work great. Will let you know how it turns out.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote