Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2008, 05:23 AM   #1
ChappyX6
Established Member

M.O.C. #7463
Whahoooo! First BIG trip with the Monty!

Ok, so there we were all 6 of us and the new puppy my wife just picked up (at a garage sale no less?) and we planned to finally take our first BIG trip (well big to most families with a 4,5,9 and 11 year old anyway). Sooo off to Disneyland we go. The wife and I finally figured out a good system for us with the hooking and un hooking and got the drivers license endorsement to legally drive it. AND prior to going got a sweet deal on a newer truck F350 7.3L diesel with the extra springs, air ride, garrett turbo, AFE air intake *grin*. Ok so just prior to going the wife packs, repacks, packs again...and still left stuff at home LOL.
Anyway the drive down...I'll admit it I was nervous as hell...I kept watching the pyrometer and the turbo...waiting for the big boom which LOL never happened thank god. But never having towed this far before I was worried about a few things such as:
1) Is it normal for the trailer to feel kind of like it is jerking? Not when I was using the brakes etc...just standard towing?
2) We drove 4 hours first day then stopped for the night the next day we drove 6 hours, about 3 hours into that I would hear an intermittent high pitched squeeling but only down hill...lubed the bearings prior to going does this mean I need to repack them?
3) LOL and then, I believe the switch is going out for the landing gear...one night it wouldnt extend but would retract then the next day it would extend but not retract ROFL that hand crank kills, actually...The crank and the door to it kill. Solution...I manufactured an attachment for my power drill that matched the crank and powered them up.
4)Told my wife what I think but she wants me to add this one...4th night here...furnace blows cold air...no warm...needs more LP right?
All in all shaking out all the bugs I guess. This has been fantastic so far and all around I am real pleased with this monty...even with 4 squabbling children. Sorry if I brought up something that was previously posted the search didnt bring any up and the manuals never came from the mother in law for this so we keep winging it.
Soooo...tomorrow we leave this insanity behind us and head further south...yay to San Diego then on the 30th heading back home...so I can rest from my vacation!

ChappyX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:47 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Chappy, Isn't it normal for a Ford to make noises? LOL Just kidding. Can't help you there but the jerking, we call it "chucking", is fairly common. I ended up with a Mor-Ryde hitch pin and a Trailer Saver Air Hitch and 90% of my chucking is gone. Others will be along with there solutions to this as there are several, that's just the way we went. As to the cold air, maybe check to see if the valves are turned on. Turn them OFF, then open them very slowly as they have a device that will shut them down if they detect too much flow. This has been a fairly common problem. Good job on the power drill attachment. I haven't had any problems with my landing gear motor or fuses, as others have.

Other than that "WELCOME TO THE BEST DARNED FORUM ON THE WWW AND ENJOY YOUR NEW HOME!!!!!!!"
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:12 AM   #3
ChappyX6
Established Member

M.O.C. #7463
Phil, appreciate the info...should have expected that from a bow tie guy *grin* LOL. BUT I am desensitized now...I think. haha my buddy is one and has been running me thru the wringer since I got it.
BTW HAHAHA
GM
General Maintenance
General Mistakes
Generally Malfunctions
General Misery
Great Mess
General Malpratice
Genital Motors
Give More
GiMme
Getting Malignant
Got Me
Grab Me

ROFL
Old 05-26-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Those ARE funny!!!!! Thanks for the bit of humor. Happy Motoring....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
ChappyX6,

Welcome to the MOC.

Your trip to DLand sounds nice. Even with a 3295 that is a full house!

If you have questions about your rig or tow vehicle you'll probably be able to find an answer here. We have a fairly large group that has a huge variety of rigs. I know the MOC Forum has saved me untold worry and in many cases significant $$$$.

Enjoy and travel safely.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:41 AM   #6
ChappyX6
Established Member

M.O.C. #7463
Thanks HamRad, I sure hope so...at this point I am more worried about the squeek than anything I guess...But the drive down to San Diego we never heard a peep out of it...then again 87 miles is a drop in the bucket compared to the rest.