Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Entering Canada with dogs

Well this fall we want to go up through canada at the top of wisconsin at the sauit and then come back in at detroit on the way to the rally but what are the restrictions on dogs and other supplies or where do i go to look john we are us citizens

sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
You will need a health certificate from your vet. Sounds too simple, doesn't it?
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
NewFlyLady
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8071
Out of the Canadian customs site. Also, I don't think you can bring dog food back into the US. I don't have my customs papers with me right now but it did state no dog food. I just don't remember if it was into Canada or the US. Canada is a little more liberal about what you can take in but the US is pretty strict about what you can bring back.

"If you own cats older than three months, dogs older than eight months and pet dogs between three and eight months, you may import them from the United States as long as they accompany you when you enter Canada. You will also have to submit a certificate signed and dated by a veterinarian for each pet. The certificate must show that the animal is currently vaccinated against rabies and include the name of the vaccine used and its expiry date. In addition, it has to identify the animal by breed, age, sex, colouring and any distinguishing marks. We cannot accept an animal tag in place of a certificate. If you import pet dogs between three and eight months that do not accompany you, you may require additional permits and certifications."

NewFlyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:34 PM   #4
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
And, as I remember, the certificate has to be signed by the vet no more than 30 days from the time you enter Canada.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 01:04 AM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
All of the above are correct. We take our pets from Canada to Texas and return each year. Just have your rabies certificate and your vet provide you with an International certificate prior to leaving and you will have no problems.
You will not have any difficulty taking anything other than 1.14 litres of liquor or 24 pints of beer or 1 carton of cigarettes per person into Canada. Definitely no firearms. Your problem will be taking things back into the U.S. No beef, pork, dog food, or fruit will be allowed to be taken into the U.S. even if you had originally bought it there. You can return with 1 quart of liquor or 1 case of beer, and 1 carton of cigs., but why, when it is much cheaper in the U.S. We find it easier to not take anything with us when we go to the U.S. and buy when we get there. Hope this helps.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:18 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Bill and Ann give good advise..Go to www.travel.state.gov for in depth information. The US much more restrictive than Canada. BIRDS are a no no.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:03 PM   #7
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
As of Nov. you are allowed beef from Canada but check with US customs office before entering Canada
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:51 AM   #8
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I think you should check your source hookman. I think you will find that it only applies to live beef.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:50 AM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
We made a trip to Canada in 95 and went through the process of getting the vet papers. When we passed the border they didn't even ask about the dog and it was lying in my wife's lap.

Coming back wasn’t a problem either. However, I’m certainly glad we had the papers, couldn’t imagine having a problem not knowing what could have developed.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:14 PM   #10
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Bill it's just like any other job sometimes it gets done sometimes it doesn't.

Rich it all depends on the type of "birds". I've known many to come back from Canada with many "birds". -)))

I'll "duck" now,
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote