Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2008, 04:26 AM   #1
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Diesel Additives????

Good topic and a reply from Dodge on Rv.Net on Diesel Additives, according to Dodge there is no need for any additives to Diesel? GBY...

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:51 AM   #2
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Depends on whether you want to replace your'e injectors or not later on. Ultra low sulfur diesel has less lubricating properties than the previous diesel.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:06 AM   #3
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I add a few ounces of Cetane to the tank every 3thrd fill up.....it cost about $16. a gallon but it pays for itself in extra mileage..No matter who you talk too on this everyone has different opinion or advice...my truck seems to enjoy the extra care so I do it..
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:01 AM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Well I kinda misspoke the letter was from Cummins and again they say you don't need any additives for the Cummins. Fords I don't know, I haven't seen first hand of any problems with the ULSD as of this date. Maybe some Trucks are having problems, I don't know of any. Most problems are with Dirty Fuel. The new DPF systems aren't new they have been use in other countrys for sometime. I do know a lot of GM Trucks have had the DPF system removed. But I just don't think GM, Ford, or Dodge would take a chance in putting something on the road that would have to have a additive and then say they don't need it. Just look at the cost in repairs, since most Trucks now have a 100,000 mile warranty??? But a person has to do what they think is right. Good Luck.... GBY....
Old 01-08-2008, 06:10 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
My '07 Ford manual says they are not necessary. So I guess I will just keep on not using them.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:56 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My 08 Ford manual says they should not be necessary then tells you which ones to use. If we can be certain that the cetane rating is 45 or better for the new diesels we would be OK. We did use the booster and did note a difference in performance. We are now using Shell premium diesel here in Florida with no additive and our performance is improving.Note that the octane rating is clearly posted at the gas pumps but you have never seen the cetane rating posted. How come that is?????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:58 AM   #7
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Quote:
quote:My 08 Ford manual says they should not be necessary then tells you which ones to use.
Rich, could you list which ones Ford Says to use? Chevy dosen't say to use any, but i'm wondering what the new 08 Ford truck owners manuel says as to Brand??
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:14 PM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by waldo238

Depends on whether you want to replace your'e injectors or not later on. Ultra low sulfur diesel has less lubricating properties than the previous diesel.
It is true that ULSD has less sulfur, a lubricating agent, but it has been replaced by a different lubricating agent that does not have all the 'bad' properties of the sulfur. The end result is that there should be not loss of lubrication with the new fuel. That's why GM (and the others I assume) say you don't need any extra additives.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:23 PM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
TLightning, You are correct, but for some reason people just doesn't want to believe Ford, GM or Dodge. I would only use a additive to keep the Diesel from Gelling. When I was running a Big Truck and ran up North we always use anti gel additives. But until GM tells me to use a additive I want.

As for premium Diesel fuel, I haven't really noticed it. But I will check for it from now on. GBY...
Old 01-08-2008, 04:23 PM   #10
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
I have had 2 real mechanics recommend adding Dexron ATF to each refill to increase the lubricity of the new fuel and protect the seals in the fuel delivery system - Truck stop operators tell me that the new fuel eats the seals on the pumps- I add ATF religiously- Better safe than sorry- Pay me a little now or pay me a bunch later- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:36 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"Rich, could you list which ones Ford Says to use? Chevy doesn't say to use any, but I'm wondering what the new 08 Ford truck owners manual says as to Brand??"
On page 11 of my Power stroke manual, under cold weather starting it says"use a minimum of 45 cetane diesel fuel or use cetane boosters from a reputable manufacturer" Starting on page 32 Read "fuel Quality" Were it indicates fuel additives should not be necessary.Also says do not blend engine oil with diesel fuel under ANY circumstances...Then under diesel fuel conditioner "additives that will improve fuel cetane numbers may be used to verify/improve fuel quality.. Motorcraft Cetane Booster& performance enhancer PM-17A (US) PM-17-B (Canada) or equivalent.. Also "do NOT use alchol based additives to correct fuel gelling"

These are new diesel motors, new emission standards. The fuel is different (ULSD) The emission system is different (DPF). There is much to learn. There are many articles on the internet (Google diesel fuel) that are enlightening on the new motors, Cetane rating, etc....the wives tales and urban legends of fuel additives do not apply and it is doubtful that they ever did. We use powerservice Diesel Kleen ULSD Formula and my Ford dealer says that is just fine. As for myself and my shinny new Ford truck We are going to continue to learn from the experts and follow manufactureres spec's and read but ignore the .... been doing it for years without a problem crowd...
Old 01-09-2008, 07:36 AM   #12
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonandJudy_12

I have had 2 real mechanics recommend adding Dexron ATF to each refill to increase the lubricity of the new fuel and protect the seals in the fuel delivery system - Truck stop operators tell me that the new fuel eats the seals on the pumps- I add ATF religiously- Better safe than sorry- Pay me a little now or pay me a bunch later- Don
That's probably okay in an older truck. The newer trucks caution to never add anything like ATF, motor oil, etc to the fuel system...in fact it says that verbatim in my manual. It also states that damage caused by adding those items would not be covered by the warranty.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:42 AM   #13
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
One of the diesel mechanics here says that he gets the cooking oil by the 5 gallon jug at costco and uses it in his dodge deisel. Its an older 97 and says it helps even in the newer diesels for lubrication, also states that the big rig haulers use ATF.
Allen
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:02 AM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I have an older Ford and I use Lucas Fuel Treatment for lubricity. Recommended by diesel truck expert at an RV seminar a few years back at an Escapee Escapade at Goshen, IN.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:12 AM   #15
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
The 'tanker driver' delivering the diesel to your station is supposed to add 'additional lubrication additives' at the bulk farm when loading the tanker. Per the local BP dealer (who also delivers bulk fuels to several construction companies around here) told me that the bulk diesel boom has two (or three) additional lines now running along side of it. As the fuel is being put into the tanker, the additives are also added. I asked him point blank if he thought that was enough (he drives a new Ford F450) and he said 'No, not for his money'. Said he uses a BP product but anything I got either at his station or at Walmart would work. Conversation ended when another customer came in needing help but I also asked him about gelling. Said ULSD gels at a warmer temperature than LSD so I should be sure to add an anti-gel agent at a minimum here in Kansas, at least for the next few months (i.e. winter).
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:43 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My shinny new Ford Manuel says we can use 5% Bio diesel mix. Figuring about a 40 gal tank that would be about 2 gal's of Bio per 38 gals of diesel. That is a properly mixed Bio not used French fry oil from MC Donald's or oil that you drained out of the Honda Civic. There are many correct ways to run veg oil or used oil in diesels the proper way of which can be found on the INTERNET. One can learn the truth from many different sources of expertise, (like the tanker driver, he knows what is going into his truck) or listen to Gomer at the corner fuel station. We happen to have a BP bulk farm a few miles from our home in Ohio 0n Rt#83.I was able to get a tour and ask many questions about fuel. I am not going to dump veg oil into my shinny new diesel.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #17
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
You have to be very watchful of what you put in the Diesel Trucks with the DPF emissions. I guess its kinda like a human liver. Those DPF systems are very expensive. But in the near future you will be able to take them to a person who will be in the business of cleaning the DPFs. Until then I will only run ULSD in my Chevy. GBY....
Old 01-09-2008, 11:18 AM   #18
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
I always add 12-16 ounces of power service per tank. Returning from the fall rally I meet a guy hauling trailers with a 2006 Dodge CTD.He told me that he just had his injectors replaced and his diesel mechanic told him to add 1/2 qt. of ATF per tank and he would not have injector problems again.

Bill
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:39 PM   #19
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I add about 8 ounces of two stroke oil to each fillup. I do this to help lubricate the injection pump. It is ashless and leaves no deposit like ATF or motor oil.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #20
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Rich, Thanks for the info on the Motorcraft Cetane Booster& performance enhancer PM-17A Ford says to use.

I"m thinking, will i get shot driving a Chevy Dually into the local Ford Motor Dealer to get the enhancer. These ole boys get a little upset sometime. Hehehe Maybe i'll barrow the neighboors ford. (KIDDING)
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote