Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
TLG
Established Member

M.O.C. #7828
In bed plug for 5th wheel

Bought a new truck this weekend, and let my rails go with the trade. I will have new rails installed in the next week, and got to thinking. We are new to 5th wheels, just got it this past spring. The purchasing dealer installed the hitch and plug in the bed. Since then I've seen many folks with 5th wheels connecting to the regular trailer plug at the rear of the vehicle. Looking for pros/cons to either setup. Thanks.

TLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've got both because we had a pull trailer before this fifth wheel. For the fifth wheel I prefer the plug inside the truck box.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Same as Orv. We have both due to a former TT and always use the plug in the truck bed with Elly Mae.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:24 PM   #4
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I have both but I use the one in the bed I dont like the cable hanging on the tailgate. Also seems like the wind beats the cord bad when pluged over the tailgate.
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I like you have seen people use the plug in rear but I prefer to have it in the bed. Looks like it could bang around and get unpluged eaiser hanging out the back.
Mark
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Our RV tech who we have used for many years, runs an extension plugged into the rear plug with an outlet in the bed. His reason for this is no hassle from the TV manufacturer if there is an electrical problem. Our very first one (14-15 years ago) was installed by the dealer and it was in the bed so we are very use to it being in the bed. Probably another one of those cases of whatever works best for you or what you want. As a short person, I don't like it in the bed. On our present truck, I can't reach it at all.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #7
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
In the bed is best but if you have a vented tail gate in plastic with no diamonds , you could run the cord through the loovers ,, but its still better in the bed but if you are short you will need a ladder to get to it john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:56 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I am one of those still hanging it over the tail gate to the regular plug. I have not seen it moving around much while towing. And the spring loaded cover of the commector has a catch that holds the cable plug in place so I don't think there is much chance of it coming unplugged while towing.
But I have considered adding the in-bed plug. Where are they typically mounted? Do you have to splice into the wiring? Or is there an under bed connector you can connect to?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:21 AM   #9
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
In bed. I used the OEM harness and sheet metal punchout in the Chevy. I had a cable drag on the road when the old TT was used, lots of repair/splicing from the road rash.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:27 AM   #10
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
If you are in the "Rust Zone" (Northern areas where salt is used), you should be certain that the dealer (Or whoever does the "In Bed" Plug install) does NOT use Quick Splice connectors, and electrical tape. My dealer did this, and the splices corroded within a year. I took the time, and redid the wiring using Butt Splicers, silicone, shrink wrap, and electrical tape. It held up well until I had an ABS fault in the TV, and had the whole rear TV electrical harness replaced (under warranty), all the way back to the factory installed tow package rear mounted plug, which included my nice splicing job. Since then (5+ years), I have used only the rear mounted plug, and have experienced zero problems. The only adjustment I have made is because my cord from the 5er is long, and I have a sliding hitch, I have installed a long extension spring from the pin box to the cord which will help retract the cord when the hitch is in the rear "Maneuvering" position, so that it will not contact the ground.

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:50 AM   #11
pilk
Established Member

M.O.C. #1633
Send a message via AIM to pilk
Like many others we started with a bumper pull before getting our Monty. I took our 02 SD Ford to a dealer to have the 5th wheel hitch installed and add a in box elec. connection. I asked if there was any reason that it couldn't be installed on the back side of the left tail light. He said they normally located them on the left side of box but would be happy to check it out for me. When I returned to pick up the ford he (the mechanic) was smiling from ear to ear. He said that was the first one he had installed in that location but It wouldn't be the last. He said he had more room to install it, easier to run the wiring and a handy place to work. When hooking up and unhooking if you happen to be a vertically challenged person (short) it is a whole lot easier to reach than one that is located on the sidewall of the box. Another plus of having a connection inside the box is not having to worry about a cord catching on the corner of the box during short turns. Hope this helps. Bob
pilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:51 AM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We use the in=bed also, and if you have a GM Truck its possible you have the wire ran already it will be located under the Truck on the frame rail drivers side. I order the extra Camper wiring just for that purpose. I think it cost $35.00 extra but its sure saves a lot of time. And you don't have to splice into your OEM wiring. Since we use our Truck for different trailers we have to have both in-bed and on the bumper also. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:16 AM   #13
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
I had mine installed in the box, left rear just forward of the tailgate. The hitch installer at Croft trailers made the suggestion of the location. He used a manufactured pig-tail that plugged directly into the harness and then the original wiring plugged into it. All of the outlets work as OEM. I have a spray in liner and it would be a bit abrasive to the cord if it was hung outside. I also use the factory tailgate so it has to be down when I hook up, therefore it is very easy to reach in and plug it up. Have fun with the new rigs. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:17 AM   #14
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
In the box. Same as ggranch. With the factory tailgate down and connector at the drivers side rear of bed, its an easy hook up. No need to lean over the bed just around it.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:48 AM   #15
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
I am using the rear one. I attached a spring (like a big rig) to the harness about two feet from where it exits the camper and fastened it to the camper by using one of the existing screws. It hangs right above the OEM plug and works nicely.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:53 AM   #16
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
OOPS!! How do I reduce the size of the picture??
Old 01-03-2008, 09:55 AM   #17
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

I've got both because we had a pull trailer before this fifth wheel. For the fifth wheel I prefer the plug inside the truck box.

Orv
Same here.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #18
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Wish I had the one in the bed - keep saying I'm going to get it put in and then something else takes precedence; regardless I have a 'worn' spot on my tailgate from the cord rubbing on it.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
John,
You will have to resize the picture. Try Photobucket.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:06 PM   #20
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
In bed, DIY pulled left rear tail light assembly, drilled post with hole saw, mounted plug pulling pigtail under truck and spliced into harness.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote