Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2007, 05:39 AM   #1
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Hitch

What would be the best all around hitch to purchase for pulling 3400RL

Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:50 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Hi Andrew and welcome to the Forum!

The quality of answers to your question would be much improved if we knew if you had a short or long bed truck.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:18 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Depending on what type Truck you have there are many different choices. It also depends on how much money you want to spend? My first choice would be the Trailer Saver air ride hitch. Its the best hitch we owned out of the 3 that we have had. And you can now get a slider with it if you have a short bed. We also had 2 Valley/Huskey's. Both were good for the price. But I would look very close at the B and W turnover goose neck hitch with the Companion 5h wheel hitch. Reason being you have two hitches in one. The Goose neck hitch and a 5th wheel hitch also. And when removed your bed is totaly clean. And one person can remove the whole hitch. Most all other hitches will leave bed rails, which means you will not have a level surface in the truck bed. I recomend the 4 pivot head in what ever you get. If you have a short bed I would for sure have a slider. Lots of people will tell you that you don't need one. But just one turn can cost you a lot of money, broken rear window front cap damage etc. Keep in mind most people will also say theirs is the best, just like I said the Trailer Saver was the best??? Good Luck on your choice. GBY....

P.S. Also I would get nothing less than a 20,000 lb capacity!!!
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:21 AM   #4
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Andrew

I am presently in the market to get a 1 ton dually. It will be a GMC and probably a long bed. I guess I will have to re post once I know the truck
Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:26 AM   #5
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Quote:

Quote:

I am presently in the market to get a 1 ton dually. It will be a GMC and probably a long bed. I guess I will have to re post once I know the truck
Good move. You are thinking about the weight you have to tow.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:51 AM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Andrew thats a good choice, we started with the 2500HD 3/4 and it did a good job. But with the weight you will be towing the 1 ton dually is a smart choice. We have the Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW 1 ton. And have owned 3 of them and I personally don't think for the money and the proven Duramax/Allison you can't go wrong. Good Luck with your choice. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:03 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It depends on how much money you want to spend. For my money, the TrailerSaver Air Ride Hitch is the best for the money. That is, if you are going to be on the road full time like we are. My Drawtite hitch was excellent until we went full time. Then I found out the rig was being pounded too hard and my back was always hurting and I was tired after only about 150 miles on the road. Most hitches are good and will serve you well.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:42 AM   #8
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
I use the B&W Hide a Ball and Companion Hitch because I use my truck for more than towing and it is easy to remove and install the hitch quickly - less than 10 minutes.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:29 AM   #9
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
If you are not going to pull a goose neck trailer, you can have the same easy in and out with the Reese/Draw Tite Signature series hitches. Under bed rail system with an almost flat bed surface with the hitch out. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote