Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2005, 08:50 AM   #1
Montana_4443

M.O.C. #4443
BRAKE CONTROLLER

Have a 2001 2880RL MONTANA 5th Wheel. Purchased used 2 years ago. Towed it to Florida and back to Ohio several times with a 2001 FORD 250 "no problems". Purchased a new 2005 FORD 350 with built-in brake controller. Have checked out wiring on trailer to be OK. When I connect truck to trailer, I get an indicator stating trailer disconnected.

I am about to install an after-market brake system on the truck.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A BETTER SOLUTION!!!!!

Thank You. Scott

Montana_4443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:57 AM   #2
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Don't know if this will answer your question, but if you go to the thread "Tow Vehicles and Towing" on page four there is a thread called "05 Ford Brake Controller Error message." Hope it helps.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:19 PM   #3
jackw87
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3007
Better have the brake Drums pulled and chec wiring to magnet.Aready did the brake controler change and after about 100 miles had the controller show a short in the wiring most of us who have had the controler show trailer disconnect have a had a problem with the right rear brake magnet or wiring to the brake rub till it shorts out
jackw87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:36 PM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I would not invest in an after market brake controller until after you have checked the trailer. As Jack said there have been several of us with a problem on the door side rear wheel magnet acccuator breaking the insulation and causing the faults on the brake controller. My controller is a Draw-Tite and it was showing OL (Overload), started intermittant and by the time I could get it to a dealer to have it checked it was mostly constant.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 08:07 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
So far, everyone but possibly one person, has found the problem is in the trailer brakes, usually in the drum somewhere. What you are seeing is that you now have an intelligent controller that recognizes problems and reports them to you. The aftermarket units don't do that. Well, a few, like the Prodigy, have a limited amount of that intelligence but nothing like what you have now. I'm glad to have a controller that tells me about a problem before the problem turns into an accident. Not to mention the uncanny smoothness of the braking with this controller.

I'd suggest you pull the drums and check all four for broken wires. It's not uncommon, unfortunately.

Good luck. Let us know what you find.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:16 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As most everyone has advised..Check the trailer..The problem is most certainly somewhere in the trailer.The Ford TBC will sense problems that other controllers will not..We had a similar problem,,trouble was broken wire to the magnet on 1 wheel.Pull the wheels and yank on every wire/connector . Note my camper was NOT a Montana but a 10 year old TT.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:09 AM   #7
Montana_4443

M.O.C. #4443
I appreciate everyones responds to the problem I'm having with the new Ford brake controller. I have an appointment at my local service center to pull all the wheel hubs and check out the magnets to see they are to spec. and for any shorts.

Thanks again

Scott

PS You would think Ford would do a better job of informing their service poeple on this subject.
Montana_4443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:01 AM   #8
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Scott - good luck! I had mine checked from stem to stern, fixed possible wires, replaced some wiring, replaced the 7 pin, and even had the truck to the dealer for their look. Still got the same problems. I am still looking, but getting tired. If you find out, let me know.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 08:00 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
O.V., some have found the wire connectors have allowed enough moisture to corrode the connection so that it is intermittent or even no longer providing a connection. These are usually external to the hub, around the axles. If you haven't already tried replacing those connectors it might be worth checking out.

Snickle, would you let us know what you find when you get this fixed? You, too, O.V.

thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 02:13 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My problem with the TT WAS inside one of those connectors Steve.R referred to. Looked good and passed it up several times..However when I began yanking on ALL the connectors a wire pulled out of one.It was still inside the connector but NOT making contact.No problems since repair.I have already decided that when I get the new unit home I will be all over the wiring around the hubs and elsewhere tying things up in a effort to prevent problems..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 08:17 AM   #11
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Guys thanks for the words of encouragement. I will get under my Monty as soon as I can and start re-wiring if need be. I had knee surgery and have been somewhat limited as to what I can do. I am ready to make it right! Thanks and will keep you posted.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:34 AM   #12
thundercat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1405
I found a real rats nest for wiring in the 4" junction box in the king pin. had two wire nuts that had fallen off with wires shorted to the side of the box and several other loose wire nuts. I replaced the cheap romex connector for the cable to the TV and replaced all of the wire nuts with crimp on splices. all wiring problems cured after that.
thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote