Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2005, 03:07 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Another Winterization Question

I picked up a nice air compressor this weekend and heard of folks who also blow the water lines dry. How do you do this? Do you open one of the faucets and then push air through the line that you would have sucked RV antifreeze through? Does this hurt the water pump?

Thanks!

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 03:15 AM   #2
Montana_2921

M.O.C. #2921
I have used air pressure for years to blow out the water system. You do not want to use high pressure though. Most air compressors are set to put out more than 100# and our water systems are not designed to carry that much pressure. I always open all faucets, remove the low point water line plugs, remove the water heater plug and open the pop off valve at the top of the water heater. I usually prop the toilet valve in the open position also or have someone help keep the valve open. I have a water hose fitting that I hook to the city water connection and it has a short 1/4 inch hose (approx 6") that I hold the air gun nozzle into. I prefer to not make a solid connection so that I can control the amount of air I allow into the system and can break the connection easily. I make a few quick blasts of air into the 1/4" hose and listen for the air and water expelling. At first I usually get some back pressure until the water is forced out of the system and then you normally just hear air pressure escaping. I have never damaged a water pump using this process and I have never had a frozen water pipe. I have used this process on the last three trailers we owned but have not had to on the Montana. We just purchased the Monty this spring and have not been through a winter yet. The Monty appears to be much easier to prep for winter.

My Montana has a winterization kit with a hose and valve to add the antifreeze. Looks very simple and I may just do that. Will check with some local Montana owners to get their opinions on what to do in this climate.
Montana_2921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 06:14 AM   #3
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I also use air. I use a small 110 volt tire pump from Sears. I watch the pressure gauge an blow the lines out varying the pressure by turning compressor on and off. I do put pink antifreeze in traps.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 06:03 PM   #4
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
I think the Antifreeeze is just a lot easier. 20 minutes and you done, plus, you dont have remove all the low point drains and all that. Works great.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:34 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
When I used to blow out the lines I used a plug that fits into the city water inlet where you'd connect a hose normally. It has an air valve on it. It's available at RV dealers and some walmarts. It costs less than five bucks. Don't use more than maybe 30 psi or so. I used the full amount once and it blew out the one-way valve in the water filler. It didn't hurt anything else but when we'd use the water pump to pump from the freshwater tank it would pump water out the city water connection outside until I took the whole thing apart and managed to get the o-ring back in place in the one-way valve.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote