Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2013, 05:25 AM   #1
jgavin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10361
Send a message via MSN to jgavin Send a message via Skype™ to jgavin
Awning Motor

Has anyone had issues such as the motor slowing down on extend/retract with their awnings? I suspect that the motor needs to be lubed, but that's only a guess right now. All of the visible pivot points are lubed OK.

In reading on another board it indicated that the motor area didn't have a drain hole for water in the motor area. I haven't confirmed that yet since our unit is still in storage.

Thoughts anyone?

jgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
This subject has come up over time previously. One of the fixes was to add a turn or two to the spring and that was the fix. This assisted in the lift of the awning. I have not seen this done and cannot tell you how to do it.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:08 AM   #3
Dontana
Established Member

M.O.C. #12608
Hi Joe:

The motor on our 2012 Montana 3700 had similar issues after one month. It eventually stopped working completely. I did the lube thing and checked all the wires more than once. On one of these occasions, a fellow seasonal lot neighbor who recently purchased an Alpine, said his had done the same thing. That's two brand new Keystone products within a camping circle of 20 lots that had awning motor malfunctions in the first year. Not a good ratio, but you know how it is in this game.

Called a mobile tech in July for the repair and the only one in the area certified to do warranty work for Keystone. Still waiting to hear back from him, argh, %#*+ ... Decided to haul it to the dealership 2 hours away in October. DW and I were getting pretty good at standing on the picnic table rolling the awning up by hand, too. Gonna miss the exercise.

Good luck with your situation.

Dontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:29 AM   #4
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
Dontana..
I did not know that you could pull it out and roll it up like the manual awning. Does it not need a lock on it to keep it from rolling back up?
My motor has slowed down but it is still working. Hopes it keeps on ticking as they say...
lfw
lfw is offline   Reply With Quote