Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
"Turbo Hose Re-visited"

We went out this past weekend for the first time this year and the turbo hose popped off, this is the second time for me this has happened. I know this may be a bit lengthy but I wanted to share it with everyone.

I took the camper to Greenbo Lake State Resort Park early Friday afternoon. After traveling about 20 miles or so I heard the famous sound of it popping off. I had just turned onto a two lane road (Route1) in Greenup County, KY. If you were familiar with this road you would know that there are very few places to even pull off in emergencies. Once I heard the pop sound I knew what had happened so I started to look for a place to get off of the road. I was coming up on a church so I borrowed the lot for a while. I pulled into it so that there would be sufficient access to the front of the truck, in the event that I would need to get a tow truck.

I raised the hood and started to look at what was going on. About 50 feet or so away was a man sitting on the front porch with two ladies. He came over to take a look and was asking if it had overheated. I told him “no, I think it’s the turbo hose;” and sure enough it was. I seen where it had come loose so I removed the clamp to discover it was completely broken into. This neighbor looked at it and said, “I believe it can be welded! “ He took the clamp and in about 5 minutes he had it welded. I placed it back on the hose and fitted the hose and everything seemed to be ok. Total down time was only about 20 minutes.

I found out that this person actually lived in Paducah, KY which is about 400 miles away. He was up here visiting some relatives. He also informed me that it was unusual for him to have a welder in the back of his car. Wow, what do suppose were the odds of all that?

It remained ok after the fix all the way to the park. Later after I got set up I drove to the dealer for a replacement clamp just in case.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Glad the "Guardian Angle" was traveling with you. Great story.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Great story. Wish all RVing perils came out so well.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Many things in life aren't coincidental : ) !!! Glad things worked out for you!
Old 05-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Bill I don't remember where but I heard that you can spray hairspray inside the hose and it will help it stay on. Don't Know Just Sayin!!
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
So...pulled into church parking lot, and out of the blue...you go from disabled to all set and off again. Good to know your being watched over.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I couldn’t pass her up!

I went to the Ford dealership today in Ashland, KY for some spare parts to have on hand. This dealer is about 30 miles from where I live. I drove across the river into Ohio going to the dealer and also returned on the Ohio side; most of the time we will simply stay on the KY side but the Ohio side is usually quicker with fewer lights.

On the return trip while driving the F-350, in a cool drizzling rain, I saw a stopped car with the flashing lights on. A woman was walking away from her car with a gas can and carrying a baby. She was going to have to walk almost a mile to the nearest station to get gas. She wasn’t trying to stop anyone for help but I couldn’t pass her in the cold rain with that baby and be able to sleep tonight. I pulled over and backed up and offered some help. She accepted and strapped the baby in the back seat and we went to a station for some gas. We talked a little and she got gas for her car. The car started ok and she and the baby went on their way.

Someone helped me Friday so it was the least I could do when I seen this situation. Like ddettorre stated “Many things in life aren’t coincidental…” glad I was able to help someone else.

Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #8
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Bill thats a very good story but I already had a different thought in my mine figured you saw a new truck and could not pass it up.LOL.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #9
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Paying it forward is what it's all about. Good deal, Bill.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote