Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #21
WanderBC
Established Member

M.O.C. #10885
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 7.3Ford

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WanderBC
7.3Ford

Where did you get the battery posts? I found some at Blue Seas but they cost way more than I want to spend, here's my battery box
Martin,

Nice looking battery box.

Originally I put Stainless Steel, and as everyone here said it was a bad idea, and they were right. SS gets hot under load. They recommend Silicon Bronze or Bronze bolts which is what I replace them with.

Here is where I got the bolts, nuts, and washers:
http://www.boltdepot.com/product.asp...s=7&cm=5&cd=57

These bolts handle continuous 300 Amps without heating up.

7.3Ford

Thanks for the info especially about stainless, about the other topic in this thread, my wife and I have almost only done off grid in the time we have had a trailer, now she says we need a "bush" trailer so we can go to some of the places we have visited in the past, she could be right just this once and if we get a travel trailer I can bring my boat, I don't have a rack for a 5th wheel so its been hanging in the carport for a couple of years.

British Columbia has huge amounts of Crown Land, with many Forest Recreation sites, its hard to imagine places that don't have this land available, like Ontario where I lived for a year and really disliked the no trespassing signs on all the private land.

Enough, I like this web place there is so much information here its like having an encyclopedia of montanas, thanks to everyone.

martin

PS the winter weather could be better in BC. (as I watch the otters play on the ice on the frozen lake, out my office window)

WanderBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #22
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We are excited to try the 'Off grid' RV style, it's like a new adventure for us. We love the lifestyle, this will be a completely different experience. 7M 5D 15H 51M and 18 seconds.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #23
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Jim,
I think you and Sue will love the off grid living. It certainly helps to be as adept at fixing things as you are. That will go a long way in going off grid. I hope you enjoy it.
Travel safely, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #24
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Ozz, living off the grid is nice when you are equipped for it.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:17 AM   #25
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I keep spending $$ upgrading and preparing for it. Have to keep telling myself that I will get it back by reduced camping fees.
Has anyone come up with a cutsie saying like the boaters have for RV's?
The old 'A boat is a hole in the water you throw money in' or something close to that.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote