Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Smog Certification

Just renewed my licence on my TV, first time every that it required a Smog Certification on a deisel.

helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ron,
You have me scared! I just renewed mine too. There was nothing about diesel smog certification. Wonder if they'll come at me retro actively? How much are the certs costing these days? It's been a long time since we've had to do a smog test. Up to now they have not tested the diesels and our other car is a Prius which is exempt for a certain number of years.

Anyway Ron I feel your pain and am afraid I'll be feeling it even more in the near future!
Thanks,
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Dennis
Not sure what I paid for the certificate. I had to replace a couple valve on my emissions.
Ended up over $500.00.
Ron

I just checked on the price, $75.00 plus certificate.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yup, I'm waiting for my first Cal Smog inspection. I wonder if it's the same price as for a gas vehicle. I think after you've had your vehicle for five years then based on your VIN, if it ends with an odd or even number then it would correspond to an odd or even year for the inspection, too. Oh boy, this cost corresponding with the big increase of Calif. DMV fees in general... Boy, oh, boy!!!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
I did not have an increase my DMV fee, it was $21.00 less than last year. Mine was due on Nov. 26.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
I love California, but it just keeps getting more and more expensive to live there! At this time, Florida does not have any kind of vehicle inspections...that I am aware of. When returning to the state back in 1997 I was somewhat pleased to have the inspection requirement disapper; however, now when I get behind some older vehicle that is belching horrible fumes in its wake, and into my air intakes, I think that maybe the inspections were not so bad.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I just renewed mine in September and there was no smog required. So it maybe an every other year thing like for gas engines. Rich
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I just renewed my diesel and it required a smog check. It is based on the even/odd last digit on the VIN. They guys that did mine charge more (+ $5 as I recall) because there is so much more visual checking required compared to a gas motor. At least that is their story. Besides checking the vehicle to ensure all the delivered equipment is there, I believe they plug into the OBD II port to ensure there are no codes. The newer vehicles have all the smog monitoring built into the on-board computer. No sensor up the tailpipe is required, the computer knows everything.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
In Texas, it is a local thing. Counties surrounding Dallas and Ft Worth require emissions testing as part of the inspection. I think those around Houston and maybe a few other areas also do. Most counties do not. The counties that do are counties where pollution levels have exceeded certain limits in the past few years.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ron,
Thanks for the $$$ info.

Wow! Sorry to hear about the valves. That wasn't cheap was it.

Thanks,
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote