Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #21
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rapidrobert

I dropped the skylite and put aluminum foil on the bottom of the top bubble and on the top of the dropped cover. Then I filled the inside with fiberglass insulation between the foil and reinstalled the cover. RV much cooler in summer and warmer in winter. Foil reflects the heat very well.
rapidrobert, that's a very clever fix. But we're wondering, don't you like the light during the day? We usually take the foam out during the daytime, unless we're trying to keep the heat out.
Dick and Sharon

footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #22
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Since some posts just address the heat transfer issue with the shower skylight, here's another idea. Pull the inner plexiglass down and place some 1" bubble wrap between it and the outer shell then button it back up. You'll be surprised how much cooler it is in the sunlight. I can't explain how it works, but it DOES work.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #23
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
Here's a couple of pictures of the skylight shade that I got from Carefree of Colorado.

This picture shows the rolled up shade where it is mounted into the ceiling. It's sort of like a window shade. To get it out you just pull on the tab and pull it into the clip that's mounted on the other side of the skylight. 10 minute installation was very easy and this really makes the bedroom dark. Great product.

trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #24
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Great pictures, thanks for going to storage to take them. Camping world has a shade for $10 that fits the bedroom air vent. Just purchase it today. Have not mounted it. If DW doesn't like it, no big financial loss.

Lou
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #25
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Thanks for the information. I will order one tomorrow.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #26
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I did as Phil did but I used an cheap auto front window bubblewrap sundeflector and cut it about an inch or so larger than the shower skylight! I then took numerous sticky backed velcro strips about 2" long and stuck it to the frame of the skylight. To mount the sundeflector to the velcro stipson the frame, I took more velcro that didn't have the sticky back and just stapled them(they can be sewn on if you like) to the sundeflector in the same spots as on the frame and stick the deflector up to the frame. It reflects the heat from the sun and also does not let any light in in the mornings or if I want an afternoon siesta! Never tried it in the COLD weather since the Monte is normally in storage then anyway. Just may have to try the foam or even the bubblewrap trick if we head out this next winter to get away from the Nebraska winters. Thanks for the multiple ideas and solutions! There's always different cures to all ailments!!
One question however, what is the frame made of that the shade rolls into? Is it metal or plastic? I would think the moisture from the shower would eventually rust a metal frame or housing!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #27
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
It's mostly a plastic housing that has powder coated metal in the stress points where it mounts to the ceiling.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:16 AM   #28
rapidrobert
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6534
I dropped the skylite and put aluminum foil on the bottom of the top bubble and on the top of the dropped cover. Then I filled the inside with fiberglass insulation between the foil and reinstalled the cover. RV much cooler in summer and warmer in winter. Foil reflects the heat very well.

rapidrobert, that's a very clever fix. But we're wondering, don't you like the light during the day? We usually take the foam out during the daytime, unless we're trying to keep the heat out.
Dick and Sharon

No, we prefer it dark. Let's too much light into bedroom early when trying to sleep...

Bob and Norma
rapidrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #29
Stichwerks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8548
When I purchased my 5th the previous owner took the inside of the skylight off and used a light coat of satin white paint on the inside plexiglass. It allows very little light in during the day, enough to make it dark enough to sleep but not too dark to walk around. Also here in the summer AZ heat it is alot cooler than without the paint. Pretty cheap fix, but pretty permanent.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:41 AM   #30
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Our 5th wheel comes standard with the shade for the shower. However we did use a heat reflective cover with velcro pn the Cambridge we had. We have the side bath also and with the bathroom door close we get very little light inside. We actually have never use the shade. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #31
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Just finished skylight shield project. Here are some pointers I feel made my project sucessfull. 1st, removed skylight so my arms and hands didn't go numb from working over my head. 2nd, use heavy grid sandpaper to sand flange dimbles smooth where velco pads go. Clean off with alcohol. Careful not to get any on skylight. 3rd, install pads in 70 degree temp or in my case I used D.W. hair dryer to heat up flange. The pads are light grip button pads, they came 15 in a pack. I may have done over kill on using all the pads, but no light comes through. 4th,Let velco pads set for 24 hours. It takes that long for the stickem to reach full strenght. Shield is from C.W. the one sold for the door window. I just cut it down, a little over size to fit on flange. Added a very light weight plastic drawer handle so D.W. can put velco apart. D.W. was concerned if she pulled straight down on the handle it might pull thru the shield. She might be right. However, pull the handle 90 degrees towards the center of the skylight, like you are peeling a banana or orange. It works.

Door shield from C.W. $10
Plastic handle from hardware store $1.19
Velco circular pads, don't remember cost, but under $5.00
Smile of satisfaction on D.W.'s face. PRICELESS

here are a couple of pictures

grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #32
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Lou, I like your idea. I might give it a try.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:19 AM   #33
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
I wonder if they made that skylight as an option, how many people would not order it? Maybe just a extra ceiling light there

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #34
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I would guessitmate that the light fixture would be more than the skylight especially if you include the ceiling, underlayment and the roofing membrane! I don't know, but I do like the skylight myself! I have a removeable piece of the foil/bubblewrap combo over ours and when we want natural light for the shower we just pull it off or fold it back some since it is in place with velcro and in the evening or afternoon when we want to take a nap we just stick it back up and no sunlight comes in in the morning! Or if it starts to get to hot in the bedroom we do the same in the afternoon. Easy cure! I could go outside to the outside shower but I don't think the neighbors would appreciate me taking my showering out there in the buff when I want the natural sunlight! I would like to see a fan set up hooked to a humidity monitor somewhere there however. It would automatically come on when it hits a certain humidity in the fiver similiar to the Fantastic fan. Ours has the Fantastic fan in the kitchen/livingroom that monitors temp but not humidity. I have the heat and humidity modules connected to the roof exaust fans in my attic here at the stick and they work great.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #35
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
trirboy, thanks for the information. I got ours installed today.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #36
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Much has been discussed about this. My solution was to take the entire frame down and carefully pry the plastic off. Then I made a sandwich of tinted GLASS, plastic sunscreen material from Wally World and a piece of plexiglass to finish the sandwich. I mounted the sandwich on the plastic frame (glass side facing into the shower) w/silicon, taped the edges and remounted the whole thing.

I can still see the birds pooping on the skylight but the amount of light does not wake me up in the morning and there is no more heat coming into the TT.

The assembly has been there for about 3 years with no problems.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #37
vampire

M.O.C. #6742
We have a 2955 and there was too much light coming in the skylight so I took some scrap J channel left over from my vinyl siding and cut it slightly longer than the skylight. Then loosen the screws holding the skylight frame and slide the back side of the J channel between the ceiling and frame and tighten the screws back up making a frame into which you can slide a piece of paneling. I used oak paneling as it matches our woodwork and cut it the size made by the J channel and a little longer than the channel. It stays is place even during travel and can be taken part way out for some light or just slide it all the way out when you wish more light. This has worked for us for about 2 years now and it sounds like it might be what your looking for. Hope this helps and good luck.
vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:26 AM   #38
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mudchief

trirboy, thanks for the information. I got ours installed today.
Welcome to the dark. Sleep well.