Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
12 Volt Light

Our rechargeable 12v light, located just in front of the refrig, has finally died. Has anybody found a suitable replacement light that could use that 12v power?

Thanks.

billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Mag-Lite makes a nice rechargeable unit. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Bill,
Ours died as well. There is always the possibility that the flashlight is not getting 12V to charge in the first place. It is also possible that the charging circuit has died and not charging the original battery.
If you are comfortable with soldering, remove the battery and call or go to Batteries-R-us or batteries Plus and buy the replacement. Our replacement battery was $6.00. Replaced and problem solved. That rechargeable Mag-Lite Kerry suggested is really nice.
Good Luck,
John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Rechargeable light AZCampinfool posted this link many moons ago. I never did get one, I just keep a Black & Decker rechargeable work light sitting by the door.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #5
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
We never got one, but from reading here what everyone said that they don't last we never said anything. Don't miss it. We use a regular flashlight, or I have a head lamp that works great too.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Now I'm curious enough to want to take it apart to see what batteries are in there. I would bet a dollar to a donut that they use two or three standard 1.2v NiCads.

We learned early on that it's almost always dead when we want to use it so I bought a bunch of 9 LED flashlights to stash around the place.
(http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0289776) They are small, very bright and the batteries last forever. For $1.99 each! How cool is that?
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:48 AM   #7
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
we didn't get one in our new Montana--I wonder if they aren't putting them in anymore or if they couldn't figure out where to put one. We really di dlike the one we had
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:40 AM   #8
abonzer
Established Member

M.O.C. #7370
Mine died two years ago. I took it apart and replaced the batteries with two AA NiMh batteries from Radio Shack. Had to solder them in place. The trick to long life is to not overcharge the batteries. Once charged I do not charge again until the light starts to dim. Two years later and still going strong.
abonzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
My flashlight died from poor quality. The first time it died, I took it apart and had to reinsert the contact spring. The second time it died it was the same problem, but this time I took a needle nose and bent it so it wouldn't fall back out.

The third time is failed a wire has worked lose and broke. I have bothered to resolder it, because by the look of the design it will happen again.

It does use NiCad batteries and I don't know about recharging problems because anything that sits in a recharget should protect itself from damage (batteries wear out anyway about every 2-3 years) but waiting until they dim before recharging is probably a good idea, but with my luck THAT'S when I need the flashlight the most.

I now use a rechargeable flashlight that I had lying around the house. I wonder how those shaker or winder flashlights work. Has anybody used one? You either shake it for a few minutes (watch where you do this - it looks "wierd" from a distance) or there's one you crank a few times and it's good to go for quite some time.

Note to Abonzer: All I will say is that my dog's opinion's of me would cause me to digress greatly. Maybe I should meet your dog, or better yet, introduce my dog to your dog and hope for the better.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote