Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
I want a peephole.

But I have no idea how to rig one up. Ultimately, my dream solution would be to get a new door, without a window in it but with a souped up peephole. Short of that, I'm not sure what to do but I'm tired of opening my door to people I wouldn't have, had I known it was them.

What do some of you do to preview visitors before you open the door (for those of you that do it). I've considered mounting a fisheye mirror on a tree outside the door, but without a peephole there is no way to look in the mirror without them seeing me also (as raising blinds to look is not only noisy but pretty obvious).

blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
Shooterdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8905
Blamb, Honeywell makes a door bell with a built in camera , it has an inside monitor and i believe you can add an additional monitor to your bedroom. I saw this a month or two ago and I think they run about 200.oo dollars . Its a little pricey , however for security and safety it may be worth it . Just google Honeywell and you should be able to look at them, good luck. Scott
One more thought , in addition to this device ,you may also want to install a Smart Light, it replaces your current porch light and it has a motion sensor in it that will be an added measure of security.
Shooterdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Until you can find/install such a door, why not just look out the window on the slide by the door?
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Vickir.... because we don't want to get caught peeking and for some rigs that's too far to walk.... :-)

We have a kitchen window right next our front door we can glance out of, but this means they can possibly glance inside. I think the Honeywell is a good solution. Using a standard peephole wouldn't work because of the screen door that is in FRONT of the front door and you'd have to mount it too low to work anyway.

Check this website: www.spytown.com or do an internet search for "peephole cameras".

Good luck,
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Vicki is right, look out the window on the slide. Let's think about this. The person knocking is 4 steps below you. And they are not looking up at the window, they are looking at the door. Even if they do look up at the window, the windows are tinted so you can not see in. Ed and I just tried this and you can not see the person in the 5th wheel so you can do a quick peek without anyone seeing you. Or (to save $200 plus installation) you could yell, "Who's there?"
Happy trails............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Quote:
quote:By Parrothead.

Or (to save $200 plus installation) you could yell, "Who's there?"
Good one Sue, that's what I do.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
A remote back up camera may work good for this, They are in the $85 price range, or cheaper. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Thanks guys! I like the doorbell cam idea. I may check that out, but I still can't think of any cheaper solutions.

Like someone said, the reason I don't want to look out the window that faces the door is because I don't want to get caught. While it's true they are lower than the window, with my RV, you can easily see whether the night shade is up, or the day shade, or no shade at all, and thus, easily see my pale face in the window peeking to see who it is. I have tried it and every time I have I have gotten caught - the pit fall is because they are so much lower than the window you can't just raise the blinds half an inch to peek, you have to raise it quite a bit to look down... and then they easily notice the blinds going up and down. Dang peripheral vision!!!! I guess your tinting is darker or something, Parrothead, but it was a good thought. Plus, the nighttime visitors are the ones I am most concerned about. If the lights are on inside, there's NO hiding whatsoever, they can even see your shadow moving behind the window. If you go turn the lights off first, you're caught, because obviously you are home, lol.

I hadn't thought of cameras until I read this thread, but I will check those out, including the backup cameras. The camera idea would also solve the "Ooops, they saw me moving through the dang window in the door!" problem.

Man, you'd think I was popular or something, but not really, I am just sick of being attempted to be recruited over to some religion or other twice a week, or acquaintances I don't really care to talk to when I'm busy enjoying myself watching TV or something. :P
Old 04-24-2009, 12:44 AM   #9
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Get a recording of a 12 gauge pump shotgun (or get the real thing, you won't need shells). Play the recording and then yell "who's there?' If they aren't friends, they wil most likely leave in a hurry. Everyone knows what that sound is.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:07 AM   #10
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Why not a couple signs - "No Soliciting" and/or "Do Not Disturb"? Don't know if that would work or not, but it would certainly be a cheap fix if it does. Wonder if it would help to ask the management of your park to prohibit soliciting. Just a couple of random thoughts.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:22 PM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If ir is more light in the rig than outdoors, you WILL be seen by the "visitor", like at dusk for example. For tinted windows to work for not being seen, it MUST be lighter on the outside than the inside, because the experior light helps create a reflection that hides the view on the other side.

I think what Blamb is looking for is something that precludes her having to move around the rig or being able to see the visitor quickly from elsewhere in the rig. I am sure whatever she figures out is probably something my wife is gonna want. When anyone visits us, I am the one that has to check it out regardless what I am doing. I usually answer the door with a small hatchet and exclaiming "Here's Johnny"! (has anyone seen "The Shining"?) I guess I have to stop that now that joining this club might yield more visitors.

Blamb, let us know what you decide.

Thanks,
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:37 AM   #12
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
How about a oneway glass for the door!!
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #13
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
You should ask 1 of those places that redo window screens for the home, they are used to working with that materal[alum].

OR

Get a painting and hang it outside like the 3 stooges and look thru the eyes
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:54 AM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Costco and Sams Club sell a home surveillance system complete with external camera and inside monitors. Don't know the cost nor where one would install the outside camera, but maybe worth looking into.. Maybe attach the camera to the inside of that window near the door. Just a random thought.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #15
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
I am still trying to "ghetto rig" some kind of observation system that doesn't cost a lot. So far, no success, I may end up having to try to get one of those wireless doorbell camera systems. Will keep you updated!
Old 05-01-2009, 12:39 AM   #16
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Blamb,
One way glass would be a good option. It can be installed in place of the frosted glass that is there now. Outside, people will see a mirror. A glass shop should be able to help you with this.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:15 AM   #17
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Go to Lowes, Home Depot, or hardware store and buy a Peephole. Drill a hole in the door and install the Peephole. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote