Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
TLG
Established Member

M.O.C. #7828
5ver hitch adjustment?

I traded my 2005 F250 on a 2008 F350 last week. It appears to sit somewhat higher in the rear. Has anyone made the move from a 250 to a 350, and if so, did you have to adjust your 5th wheel hitch? The 250 with timbrens rode level and had about 7 inches of clearance between the camper and the bed rails. Thanks.

TLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:11 PM   #2
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I moved from a Ford F350 SRW to a Dodge 3500 DRW several years ago. Moved the hitch from one to the other (after purchasing the necessary Dodge frame rail kit -- would have been cheaper to just buy a new hitch but that is another story). In any case, to answer your question -- the Dodge bed it much higher than the Ford's so I had to not only change the height of the hitch receiver in the bed of the truck but also had to have the king-pin moved on the 5er as well in order to get the trailer to ride somewhat level and give me some clearance on the bed rails. I'd suggest you move one first, test it and then move the other if needed. Oh yeah -- something else to watch out for -- if you move the hitch assembly down in the bed of the truck -- make sure that your king pin assembly clears the sides of your truck bed. With some of the extended hitch pins, the receiver in the truck has to be up some or else you can't make tight turns without hitting the trck sides with the extended hitch pin!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:04 AM   #3
tjuhl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7213
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by skypilot

I moved from a Ford F350 SRW to a Dodge 3500 DRW several years ago. Moved the hitch from one to the other (after purchasing the necessary Dodge frame rail kit -- would have been cheaper to just buy a new hitch but that is another story). In any case, to answer your question -- the Dodge bed it much higher than the Ford's so I had to not only change the height of the hitch receiver in the bed of the truck but also had to have the king-pin moved on the 5er as well in order to get the trailer to ride somewhat level and give me some clearance on the bed rails. I'd suggest you move one first, test it and then move the other if needed. Oh yeah -- something else to watch out for -- if you move the hitch assembly down in the bed of the truck -- make sure that your king pin assembly clears the sides of your truck bed. With some of the extended hitch pins, the receiver in the truck has to be up some or else you can't make tight turns without hitting the trck sides with the extended hitch pin!!
tjuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:47 AM   #4
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Check on Ford.com to check the bed height of the two trucks. When I went from pulling a TT to my 5th wheel, I also went from a 250 to a 350 dually. I believe the difference in bed heights was about 1.5 inches. Not enough to cause you grief but maybe enough to warrant an adjustment.
Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:13 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You don't mention if yours is 4x2 or 4x2. I went from an '04 F250 FX4 to an "07 F350 FX4 and the F350 sat much higher. The F350 had 4" blocks between the springs and axles, the F250 had 2" blocks. There is a Ford technical service bulletin (TSB) stating that some F350 4x4 may be too high for a 5er and provides a fix for it (replacing the blocks and some other items). I had the dealer replace my 4" blocks with the 2" blocks as part of the purchase deal.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:44 PM   #6
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
We went from an '04 F250 to an '07 F350 DRW and the trailer sat too high in the front. I lowered the slide 2 bolt holes on the frame of the hitch and now it sits level with the bed rails. With 40 lbs of air in my air bags the trailer shows level when hitched up.
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote