Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2018, 11:03 AM   #1
Figit090
Established Member

M.O.C. #22423
My girlfriend and I are full-timing in a 35' 5th wheel

Hello!

My girlfriend and I decided to move into a fifth wheel because we have access to property that would be rent free and we wanted to save money for our future.

We purchased the 2003 Keystone Montana and we're really enjoying it so far after a couple weeks. We were blessed to find one in very good shape that was stored indoors so we're only dealing with the usual repairs and changes that one might do to an older RV.

We're almost done prepping its final parking place and sorted out the full-time sewage system and utilities.

in the future we plan to do some painting and general renovation to update the interior to make it more like a home. For now we're just sorting out issues. I've already repaired one grey tank and I think that we have a leak in our galley tank but it's nothing that we can't fix easily. it's actually nice taking apart the RV because I'm very interested in learning how things are built and now I understand where all the shortcomings are in Montana's construction techniques.

So far I'm pretty happy with the quality of Montana's RVs.

In the near future we plan to add additional insulation to the bottom of the RV and new insulation to replace the aged winterizing kit that was originally on the Rv.

I also hope to install heated floors at least in the bathroom area and possibly the rest of the RV for the colder days.

I have attached a couple basic pictures of the RV and then what I came up with for the full-time sewer hookup, over 30 feet away.

Currently we're hooked up about 30 feet away from the clean out but we're using 100 ft of 1' I.d. hose as our waste line. Everything is going well so far! Grey water bypass is nice, too. I replaced or water heater element, and the anode after cleaning it out and sanatizing the system. We've also replaced our lights with LED.

Next step is a fresh roof to make sure we're good for rainy season. Recommendations welcome! (New edpm or paint on coating?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180906_180149599.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	2295   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180906_180201092.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	2296   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180906_180204275.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	2297  

Figit090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Your camper looks great like new. Why would you wont to replace the roof. If it’s been stored inside it should be like new and need nothing but a little rain on it.
Anyway welcome to MOC.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:19 PM   #3
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
Mine is the same year. Mine is a 3280 RL I love mine because everything works. I have had to fix a few things but this year most things are simple to fix.

I pit hooks in the shower for wash cloths and 2 on the outside for towels.

Made a stand for the TV in the bedroom for the TV. 32 inch Samsung.

I have to replace the things that hold the closet doors shut. The stock ones stink and i have been cut by them.

I replaced the plastic keepers that hold the compartment doors open with stainless ones. The plastic ones stink.

I also added a 5 gallon propane tank under the front for the Q grill. Had to get a 25 foot hose made so I only have one hose to reach the grill. Before I had 4 hoses hooked together. LOL
I had to fix most of my dining room chairs. They are so cheaply put together. I would suggest taking them apart and putting glue in the joints so they dont come apart on you.

I have found out the hard way that If I run out of gas on one bottle that I needed to open the full bottle before i switch bottles. Seems that the heater will shut off before you completely run out of gas because of the refrigerator. I found out that it was easier to restart the heater if I did it that way.

I find that the 12 volt lights are just fine we don't use them that much except the 2 at the back by the rocking chairs which i find stink. I need to find a different chair for back there I use them all the time.

I mounted a piece of wood with 4 L type pieces of wood to lock it to the frame of the opening so I wouldn't have to screw it to the frame then got a wall bracket and bolted it together. I am able to close the tv and it locks in place and still close the slide.

Sorry for the long post.
Happy Full Timing
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:23 PM   #4
Figit090
Established Member

M.O.C. #22423
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
Mine is the same year. Mine is a 3280 RL I love mine because everything works. I have had to fix a few things but this year most things are simple to fix.

Sorry for the long post.
Happy Full Timing
Thank you! Those are some neat tips, we've got most everything squared away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Your camper looks great like new. Why would you wont to replace the roof. If it’s been stored inside it should be like new and need nothing but a little rain on it.
Anyway welcome to MOC.
Lynwood
Thank you! There's a few spots that have been weirdly patched but otherwise you're right, we're leaving the roof alone and will coat it next year.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:13 AM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Being you are not going to be moving the unit I would place 2 inch foam Insulation under the slides. There is only a 3/4 inch plywood under the slide.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:49 AM   #6
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
You didn’t say, but I assume that you will be using the 12 volt system in your rig. If so, look into solar panels for the roof. We installed solar years ago, and wouldn’t be without it now.

Not real sure where Humboldt is, I assume California. If it gets cold there, I would suggest some way to wrap your water and sewer lines to keep them from freezing.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #7
Smashingfellow40

M.O.C. #22896
Welcome new to forum as well

Check out our bathtub rennovation on our 2002 model
Smashingfellow40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 02:19 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
First of all Welcome To the MOC Forum! You seem to be a really handy person when it comes to renovations on the unit. This is great! If you have questions about your unit, ask them and you'll get answers from the experts- actual Montana Owners. Yours is an older unit and there are a lot of us that either had one at one time and have gone with a newer model or still have one and really making it a home. Again welcome aboard and enjoy that Montana.
Also, If you want to keep those tires from doing the dryrot syndrome, I would suggest putting them up on either wood blocks 2X8 or 2X12's or do as we do and go to the big name hardware stores and purchase some of the recycled rubber stepping stones and put them under the tires. It will help to preserve the tires some. You will find out that since your tires are sitting they will have a better chance of decaying faster than if they were on the road being used. Also put covers over them to keep them from breaking down because of the UV rays from the sun.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:01 AM   #9
Figit090
Established Member

M.O.C. #22423
Time for an update!

Sorry I've been absent, I'm in school and working full time right now and between that and the RV I'm too busy to post!

We've added a few things to our rig over the last year.
  • New bigger porcelain bowl toilet
  • New tinted door window with shade
  • AC monitors for electrical usage
  • water meter for water usage
  • Ran a new sewage line to the RV location so we no longer use a pump, just the slinky. MUCH NICER
  • new flooring in the basement for easier movement of items and cleaning (and the carpet in there was icky)
  • new dual layer foil/composite heater tubes for the front side vents and patched up the shoddy hard vent system in the main flooring. It was full of shoddy craftsmanship with drill holes and cuts everywhere.
  • patched one leak in one grey tank (and found another crack).
  • new memory foam bed from costco
  • started removing stock window shade covers and drapes
  • removed the unnecessary washer/dryer water feed from the system and insulated some of the lines
  • cut and patched corroded/broken 12v popout electrical flex wire.
  • added LED strip lighting to the pop-outs that projects on the ceiling, it's colored in the photo but we use it on white most of the time, lol. We have a remote outlet system so our plug-in lights are switched.
  • new propane regulator and feed hoses so tank switching is a breeze.

We also had a big leak behind our fridge during last year's rain. Bummer to find out capillary action was enough to bring water through the seam between the fridge vent doors, over the ledge and into our pop-out carpet. From there, it came all the way 3 feet into the living room! I made a semi-pro moisture abatement system out of a dehumidifier and some extra HVAC tubing I had from the heater refresh and dried it out that same day. I had two hoses piping dry air into the pop-out cabinetry and i removed the floor beneath the trash can. It was lame.

Things I have planned:
  • wax the exterior
  • reseal windows
  • renovate window coverings and repaint interior white
  • consider carpet change, if so we'd probably do laminate with heat pads underneath
  • reseal some areas on the roof, hold it over for one more year to reroof or reseal next summer
  • add foam insulation to floor supports throughout rig where possible and add fresh bubble insulation
  • polish and wax wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudchief View Post
Being you are not going to be moving the unit I would place 2 inch foam Insulation under the slides. There is only a 3/4 inch plywood under the slide.
Thanks, I have foam waiting for added insulation I'll be installing soon! I might get special foam for the slides but I at least plan to add to the main unit between the "winterizing kit" bubble wrap and the main floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
You didn’t say, but I assume that you will be using the 12 volt system in your rig. If so, look into solar panels for the roof. We installed solar years ago, and wouldn’t be without it now.

Not real sure where Humboldt is, I assume California. If it gets cold there, I would suggest some way to wrap your water and sewer lines to keep them from freezing.
Thanks, good suggestions! We've been running on 20amp for a year now but once we're in Southern California (probably a year from now) I'll look into solar. Would be good to reduce heat permeation into the unit and power 12v fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashingfellow40 View Post
Check out our bathtub rennovation on our 2002 model
Thanks, that's cool! I will look into a larger bathtub if ours ever cracks! Right now it's low on priority list as we're comfy in the corner tub we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
First of all Welcome To the MOC Forum! You seem to be a really handy person when it comes to renovations on the unit. This is great! If you have questions about your unit, ask them and you'll get answers from the experts- actual Montana Owners. Yours is an older unit and there are a lot of us that either had one at one time and have gone with a newer model or still have one and really making it a home. Again welcome aboard and enjoy that Montana.
Also, If you want to keep those tires from doing the dryrot syndrome, I would suggest putting them up on either wood blocks 2X8 or 2X12's or do as we do and go to the big name hardware stores and purchase some of the recycled rubber stepping stones and put them under the tires. It will help to preserve the tires some. You will find out that since your tires are sitting they will have a better chance of decaying faster than if they were on the road being used. Also put covers over them to keep them from breaking down because of the UV rays from the sun.
Thanks so much!
Our tires are already over 5 years old and while probably servicable, if we move it South as planned in a year, I'll be jacking it up and taking the rims/tires in for replacement and saving one for the ugly spare.

I will keep that in mind for later though, I'll cover the tires once we're in a hotter climate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SENSORS.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	4657   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190628_115212620.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	4658   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190731_184305955.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	4659   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190912_161329432.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	4660   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190409_203831672.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	4663  

Name:	IMG_20190105_190459888.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	4664   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181128_154853107.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	4665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181021_181544542.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	4666  
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2019, 07:13 AM   #10
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
I love the flooring in the storage compartment.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote