Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2021, 01:28 PM   #1
Monty_Jim
Established Member

M.O.C. #29288
Montana Width vs Wide Body

Hi all:

I’m looking for some feedback from you Monty owners and those of you who have had SOB units as it relates to the standard 96 inch width of Montana vs 102 inches from some manufacturers. I’ve made a few observations that maybe some of you could confirm one way or the other.

Since we are planning to go full time, this is a factor we are considering, but I don’t feel it should steer us away from Monty. The problem is trying to find inventory of different brands to compare in person is so difficult, so I’m curious if those who have seen it for themselves can attest to there truly being a difference in liveability or even perceived space overall?

Looking at vids and pics I get the impression that the slide-outs on Monty 5th wheels seem deeper than say Solitude or the Jayco Pinnacle line, so it might be the inside width on the Monty’s between slides might in fact be a little wider or at least the same vs a wide body unit. Does anyone have any real life experience to speak from?

Of course areas of the coach where there are no slides the wide body units are going to be wider, but if that balances out with the slide areas this gain would become negligible if my view is correct?

We are pretty much set and have a order ready to go for the Montana 3855BR. The main comparable brand we’ve considered is the Jayco Pinnacle 37MDQS. This Jayco is a wide body unit, but I’m convinced when looking at it compared to the Monty that the Monty has a much deeper bedroom slide and the kitchen slide appears to be a bit deeper as well, which would make much of the unit equal in terms of inside width? Again, any experience here I can hear from would be great.

Even on the front living models like the Monty 3760FL vs the Solitude 380FL seems like there is extra depth to the Monty front living slides, which would largely balance out the body width difference?

Thanks!

Monty_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:46 PM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
A couple of quick points. I have only owned Montana’s and will not slam other brands. First, The RVIA limits total floor space inside, so all brands have the same “max living” size. Second, with all the road construction, a narrower unit through construction zones is an advantage. And last, I am sure that we have all been in houses with wasted space. The same is true with RV’s. Before we bought our new 3230CK, we sat down inside one for hours without a salesperson to decide where everything would go and how that model fit us, traveling with a larger dog, where we would store his food and treats, broom/vacuum, etc. Whether it is 96”, 102” or 20’, it has to meet your needs. Anyone that thinks 6” of width will make a huge difference must be a salesperson. Plus, only Montana has 20,000 plus unbiased hands on experts, not run by the company. Just my two cents. Best of luck with your choice and safe travels.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:49 PM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I can only add this: With my standard 96" width unit I can just barely see behind me with my mirrors fully extended. Now if you add a few more inches on each side I would be totally blind behind me unless I added some form of extra extension mirrors which I don't really care for.
Now for some out there it wouldn't make any difference because they don't know what mirrors are for anyway.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:46 PM   #4
Monty_Jim
Established Member

M.O.C. #29288
Thanks for the replies so far.

What I’m really interested in is hearing from those of you who have had both Monty’s and SOBs at 102 inches and how it affected the use and interior feel.

I still think Monty’s might in fact measure as wide as wide body units inside due to what seems to be deeper slides? It’s just so hard to get answers to these considerations when that various brand of units are not near by (or around at all) to actually compare.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:57 PM   #5
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
We're full timers and I can tell you I absolutely would not want a wider rig. It would be fine if you stayed on freeways but you would hate the extra width when traveling through small towns (especially with street parking).
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:01 PM   #6
Russ&Reen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21546
We traded a 2015 wide body SOB for our current Monty. We do not feel/see a difference in the width inside at all. What we do see is a much better product, we're happy with our decision.
-Reen
Russ&Reen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:41 AM   #7
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty_Jim View Post
Thanks for the replies so far.

What I’m really interested in is hearing from those of you who have had both Monty’s and SOBs at 102 inches and how it affected the use and interior feel.

I still think Monty’s might in fact measure as wide as wide body units inside due to what seems to be deeper slides? It’s just so hard to get answers to these considerations when that various brand of units are not near by (or around at all) to actually compare.
We looked at comparable floor plans in Montana and Solitude (could not find a similar Pinnacle in stock). Montana 3790RD is what we bought and compared to Solitude 375RES. I asked my wife if she noticed which one was narrower or wider and she had no idea there was a difference.

For the floorplan we chose, the only difference where it could be noticed if you really looked is on one area where there is no slides - in this floorplan that is where the recliners are next to the stairs to the rear living area. In the Solitude, there was a little "end table" shelf at the end of the recliners and no room for that in the Montana. My wife sits there and didn't even notice until I pointed it out.

The "feel" of the width of these very similar floorplans was not noticeable, to us. It did not factor into our decision at all.

But as others pointed out, when towing I'm really glad not to have that extra width. Again, this would not have been a deal breaker and I would have bought the wide body if it ticked off all the other boxes for us... but happy in the end I didn't have to get a wide body to have a wide open feeling in our floor plan.

Hope that helps!

Brad
Old 07-29-2021, 03:35 PM   #8
Monty_Jim
Established Member

M.O.C. #29288
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
We looked at comparable floor plans in Montana and Solitude (could not find a similar Pinnacle in stock). Montana 3790RD is what we bought and compared to Solitude 375RES. I asked my wife if she noticed which one was narrower or wider and she had no idea there was a difference.

For the floorplan we chose, the only difference where it could be noticed if you really looked is on one area where there is no slides - in this floorplan that is where the recliners are next to the stairs to the rear living area. In the Solitude, there was a little "end table" shelf at the end of the recliners and no room for that in the Montana. My wife sits there and didn't even notice until I pointed it out.

The "feel" of the width of these very similar floorplans was not noticeable, to us. It did not factor into our decision at all.

But as others pointed out, when towing I'm really glad not to have that extra width. Again, this would not have been a deal breaker and I would have bought the wide body if it ticked off all the other boxes for us... but happy in the end I didn't have to get a wide body to have a wide open feeling in our floor plan.

Hope that helps!

Brad
It does help ... thanks!
Old 07-29-2021, 03:36 PM   #9
Monty_Jim
Established Member

M.O.C. #29288
Thanks for all the comments so far. Those of you who have said what they have experienced is so helpful.

The extra width while towing isn’t a big concern to me. For the most part we will be stationary in a park for long periods with perhaps a once per year trip South and back North to Canada. This will all be highway miles, so not a big issue and my F-450 has very wide tow mirrors when fully extended.

The main consideration for us, is does the 6 inches make a difference in livability and overall feel?

There are no comparable wide body models on dealers lots currently for us to actually see for ourselves, so that’s why all feedback here is so important as to the wide body vs standard body comparison.

In all, we are very close to finalizing our order for the Montana 3855BR and your feedback so far is making that more likely by the days!
Old 07-29-2021, 06:30 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Here's our point of view. We have full timed in Montanas for over 11 years and for us, it's about the layout and liveability and not about an extra foot or two. The proof of that is that our eastern rig is the HC and is definately smaller than the western rig which is the Montana. We're very comfortable in both. That said we originally thought that we wanted a Jayco until we actually looked at one and looked behind the cabinets and in the basement and compared how they were constructed. For us that moved us to Montanas.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote